HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:06:27 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BIRTHRIGHT  (Read 7921 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: April 10, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »

So, I was complaining at my LCS, as I was trying to figure out why there are no dungeons & dragons, swords'n'sorcery comic properties all over the place. I mean, no CGI needed, you have all the time you want for minutae and world building; where are they?! (kinda why I loved Crossgen so much at the time).

So, LCS owner suggests 'Birthright'-by Skybound (Image Comics). I picked up issues 5 & 6. NO prior knowledge, no fan boy errata intelligence, just read 2 issues without starting at the beginning, and go.

Dug it. Damn near loved it, even.

Classic tale; a young boy of earth is the Chosen one to go to another fantasy world to be their hero against some evil undead king. At some point, that boy comes back to earth-he's over 30 years old, however. Our earth time has only advanced by about a year and a half. Worse than that...he wasn't a Hero for that fantasy world. He allied with the great evil.

I know all this based on 2 issues. Didn't go read anything else online, I know nothing else but these two issues, and I feel like I can't wait to see what happens! The story is told in 'current' time, as well as flashbacks to the Hero's first days in the fantasy world. I'm really hopeful for this. I picked it up and just wanted to read another 100 issues.

So, I'm down! I got one! Found something else I wanted to read!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »

This is great to hear! 

I pre-ordered the first trade because of a recommendation in the iFanboy podcast.  They raved about it so much I just couldn't resist checking it out.

It's coming to me in this months shipment.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »

This is great to hear! 

I pre-ordered the first trade because of a recommendation in the iFanboy podcast.  They raved about it so much I just couldn't resist checking it out.

It's coming to me in this months shipment.

That's super cool.

I mean, it's Image, so as long as the writer/artist are going, the book keeps going, am I right? In any case, I'll keep up with the monthly floppies just so the numbers show it's going, until the trades show that they are just as viable for printing. But yeah Jeff, I sincerely hope you enjoy it alot!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »

I got to the bottom of my stack this month and there was the Birthright trade.  I guess I got confused and forgot it arrived with my March shipment.

Anyway - I read the whole thing in one sitting this morning.

Loved it!  I really want to keep reading but I'm going to resist picking this up monthly and stick with the trades.  I love the mix between Terrenos and present day Earth.  As well as the time jumps from Mikey as a kid and present day.  Great story telling and character development.

Excellent twist as well and I can't wait to find out the secret behind the secret.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »

Anyway - I read the whole thing in one sitting this morning.

Loved it! 

Super cool!!! Yeah, a great read even in my 2 issues, and now I'm jealous you read the first 4 issues! I really want to see this orc mentor of his!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »

F.U.C.K you guys.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I just gave a list to Dave of the Image books I am going to go ahead and grab from him if he has them:

Copperhead - which I already have and it is great
Wytches  - still buying this in HC, but just can't wait any longer. I remember issue #1 very well!!
Velvet
Nailbiter
Ghosted
Black Science - Same as Wytches, buying in HC anyway but can't wait
Low
Southern Cross
Southern Bastards
Chew
and Five Ghosts (or 5 Ghosts)

Just called him and asked if had this and could I get it instead of 5 Ghosts. He didn't answer. I left a message. Now I just have to wait and hope. I know he didn't have Low, so now I am scared he may not have this  Undecided

So yeah ... damn you guys!!!! You know I just stopped getting floppies. WTF? What are you trying to do to me. If he doesn't have this darn thing ... I am never looking at this thread again!!

Yeah, that will show you guys.
 Wink  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »

F.U.C.K you guys.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Again, another wonderfully, honest, 'laugh out loud' moment for me. Bwahahhaa!

However, I will now be checking out 'Copperhead' as well, since if Tokyo V wants to promote it, I figure it's gotta be great!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:01 AM »

I want to say something here ... or maybe start a new thread under the Image banner I suppose ... but just got back from diner and I have a little buzz kicking so I think I will wait until the morrow.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »

Okay guys ... committed to the first six issues at least  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »

It's a fast read Perry - won't take you long to decide if you like it or not.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »

So I read Brithright issue 1 last night. Really like the premise of the story but was really drawn into the title with the last page. When
our "hero" goes all red-eyed and starts talking to the bad boss about the plan
I thought that the idea of this story alone was a decent enough aspect to pull me in, but when I saw/read that last page it sent me over the top. When I first saw that last page I actually said "Hmm" aloud and the wife wanted to know what I was pondering.
 Grin
"Nothing, just read something interesting"  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »

So I read Brithright issue 1 last night. Really like the premise of the story but was really drawn into the title with the last page. When
our "hero" goes all red-eyed and starts talking to the bad boss about the plan
I thought that the idea of this story alone was a decent enough aspect to pull me in, but when I saw/read that last page it sent me over the top. When I first saw that last page I actually said "Hmm" aloud and the wife wanted to know what I was pondering.
 Grin
"Nothing, just read something interesting"  Smiley

That's what pulled me in too.  Great twist.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »

Yup, awesome story start.

However, man...did I get super pissed with the way his parents' lives derailed. I got so mad at the "well, father must have killed him" and well, I"m on his side; screw that wife!!! Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS