HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:10:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BIRDS OF PREY  (Read 6983 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 29, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »

SON OF A  ....
 Angry

Just breezed through my friends copy of B.O.P issue 1 and I am pissed. Pissed I didn't add this to my pull even though I knew who was writing it (I like his stuff) and I liked the art.

Pissed.

Certainly going to track down the rest of the issues now ... I am also pissed that I read this the day AFTER DCBS locks in their orders, so I can't add issue 3 to my pull (Though I may try and e-mail them to add it).

Without giving away any spoilers, as I did not label this as an issue 1 discussion, I will just say that while the art is great, the transitions used for scenes going from present to the past was very enjoyable. All I will say.

And the ending !!!! Wowza.

Looks like I will be dropping at least on of my Bat books now to add this in.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:18:00 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »

SWEET!  I can't wait for my issue to get here next week!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »

I think this is going to be one of the better books of the DCnU. Sure, I miss Oracle, but I think the current cast and crew are going to give us some great stories.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »

Okay, added #2 and #3 to my DCBS order and was able to track down issue 1 at the LCS.
Yay. A win.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Okay, added #2 and #3 to my DCBS order and was able to track down issue 1 at the LCS.
Yay. A win.
 Grin

Great, now you got me wanting to go hunt down BoP and at least flip thru it.

Are your local shops charging cover price for New 52 books?  Unless you have a pull, my guy is selling this week's DC books for at least $5 each.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:30:45 AM »

Are your local shops charging cover price for New 52 books?  Unless you have a pull, my guy is selling this week's DC books for at least $5 each.

What?!?  That's a rip off!  I'd be mad.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

No, $2.99.

I have heard of lots of shops raising the price like that, however, and I think it is a bullshit move and would boycott ANY shop that does that legal, but underhanded crap.

Issue 2 comes out and you still have issue 1 and you raise the price due to it being a "back issue", that is fine, but doing that shit the same month is being short-sighted and not a good practice.

Let me know and I will call my shop tomorrow and see it that remaining copy of BOP is there, I will buy it for you and ship it for free, JUST so you don't give that LCS money.
 Angry

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »

Sorry for the slight derail, but I should've probably explained myself a little better.

I do appreciate the offer, but I think I got it covered.  I was a merely curious as to what the state of affairs was in your neck of the woods, as this whole new 52 phenomenon has got a lot of discrepancies in terms of value.

My LCS isn't a "brick & mortar" shop in the traditional sense.  I frequent a long-running weekly collectible show called Frank & Sons Collectible Show (http://frankandsonshow.net) that houses at least 200+ vendors, with a substantial amount of them being comic purveyors.  So basically it is like attending a comic convention every week, twice a week, all year long.  And if you have never been to a convention, comic book prices fluctuate a great deal, especially for hot books.  And with artificial demand being what it is caused by speculators...it drives up prices once it hits the shelves, which unfortunately hurts new readers.  I in no way endorse this behavior of price gouging, but I can hardly blame individuals for making a quick buck.

All things considered, I have a decade old relationship with my comic guy, and find him a upstanding individual.  For me, if he has it in stock, I won't pay more than cover price. 

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »

Just read issue 1.  Good start and I like the writer.  I'm hoping there's more than two heroines in this book but I do live Black Canary.  I'm digging the new costume too.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:26:12 AM »

BOP ISSUE #4

Really fun issue. Loved how the colorist made Dinah's eye look after the punch from Ev and talk about great art, check out the look on Ev's face on page four, when she is talking about Dinah falling into an end table. You can actually see the wide eyed expression and know that she is giving Dinah a signal (That or Jesus Saiz is doing his best Rags Morales impression)  Grin. It is just one of those 'riiight?' kinda looks. Perfect.

Also like how they are tying the "between floors" stuff in like Batman is doing in his book with ... well, not spoiling it here.
 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »

Question for knowledgeable DC fans ...
When did Poison Ivy start controlling plants from her body? Has she always had this power? I thought she 'called' them from the ground or overhead

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS