HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:34:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVX: VS  (Read 8534 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

Tie-in minis to Avengers vs X-Men.  Why am I gonna get it?  Nostalgia.  I used to love those old Super Hero battles from the 70's like Thing vs Hulk.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-next-big-thing-reveal-120106.html

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »

Undecided
Tsk, tsk, tsk,

Why am I gonna get it?  Nostalgia.  I used to love those old Super Hero battles from the 70's like Thing vs Hulk.

Then go get them and leave this alone.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »

In all honesty, Jeff, I hope this is good or at least enjoyable to you and all that get it, honestly, and all my jokes are just that ... jokes, but I just fear (much like FEAR ITSELF and most events in the past few years) this is just going to be watered down story-telling with piss-poor characterization and no lasting outcome.

I hope I am wrong.  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »

Iron Man vs. Magneto fight by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert, and a Thing vs. Namor fight by Kathryn Immonen and Stuart Immonen.

You know I love Jason Aaron's work.  I'm hoping I get more "Wolverine" Aaron and less "Incredible Hulk" Aaron on this one.

And Thing vs Namor just sounds fun.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:09 AM »

this is just going to be watered down story-telling with piss-poor characterization and no lasting outcome.

sums up how i feel about the yearly events....i see nothing here that says any different.  I'd like to see these characters go a couple years to just tell stories within the confines of their own books, without crossing over for once.  Get some real story development.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »

I'd like to see these characters go a couple years to just tell stories within the confines of their own books, without crossing over for once.  Get some real story development.

Me too.  Unfortunately with 14 million Avengers titles and 28 million X-Men books I worry those days are long gone.

Then again, X-Factor and Uncanny X-Force have done a good job of doing it so far.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:53 AM »

Personally,

I would love a good character driven story that means something besides a plot twist or gimmick.

Fear Itself. Were people supposed to be scared and full of fear-- cause I really missed that part. I kept going, where is the fear that challenges these characters?

Secret Wars was the story of the Beyonder and how he touched nearly every life in the Marvel Universe. Technically, it was a a simple story at it's heart.

Maybe the problem back then was that comics primary job was story NOT gimmicks or crossovers just for the sake of crossovers. The marketing came later.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:11:52 AM »

i'm hoping it will be good...i like the talent involved.  but i too am just sick to death of the constant crossovers.  i dont mind the quick 2issue crossover like the recent spidey/dd arc but the big hoopla events got to go. 

Sin made a good point re: Fear itself...story idea itself was sound but there was no meat to the threat.  Bad guys show up and tear stuff down...heroes rush in and get killed.  end with heroes basically getting a bigger gun. no meat, no emotion and absolutely no fear

wow i'm sounding bitter tonight.  really am optimistic that this might be good.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Oh I love the people involved in this. I am just refusing to buy another event story until they start making "events" again.

Like Sin brought up, SECRET WARS (original and part 2 I suppose) was a great example of how you CAN do it, but looking back, and to me (your mileage may very) the last good "event" book was ... okay, I guess I have to put WORLD WAR HULK as that was pretty good in execution and idea, and I don't like Hulk, but the last one that had any lasting meaning was House of M or AVENGERS DISASSEMBLED When Scarlet wiped away all mutants except for almost 200 of them. And that was 2004.

Prior to that we have AGE of APOCALYPSE or HEROES REBORN?

I mean Even the small events, the titles or character centric events have sucked over the past 10 years. SPIDER ISLAND? SHADOWLAND? CURSE of the MUTANTS (So I heard).

Take a look HERE and let me know what really sticks out to you as being good? Or at least important?

After this event are the X-Men and Avengers going to be on opposite sides? No.
Is someone going to die, and effect anything? No.
Would I read this if it wasn't for the past, over-hyped, utter failures Marvel has put before me? Yes. But I am tired. So tired.

But hey, at least they canceled MOON KNIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »

I love the concept. But the execution has been predictable, formulaic, and just plain boring. All I did was waste my money and time.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:16 AM »

Yeah I dropped it after the second issue.

Good to see you back Emeraldwarrior!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS