HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:39:44 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel's 'Self-Covers'  (Read 3320 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 14, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »

In case you missed it, Marvel ran a test recently to see if they could replace the current paper stock they use on comic covers. If any of you remember the Ultimate line that had those god awful covers, the ones that started to roll up when just laying flat (still send shivers damn my spine), this really had me worried. Were we going to experience another doomed tryout?

This new test would be called "self-cover". What they do is take the existing paper stock they use for the INSIDE and use it for the cover. WHAT? Yep. Instead of having two different types of paper, they were going to try and save money by using the same paper stock the use inside, for outside.

I was less than happy.

Then they said that the test would be on FANTASTIC FOUR #601 and I got really, really worried. "Not to my favorite title, please", I thought to myself (or may have said aloud ... not sure).

I was even less ... less than happy.

Then about 10 minutes ago, I read an article listing the next titles to receive this treatment and it reminded me ... Holy hell, I had read FANTASTIC FOUR #601 and forgot about the cover thing. I ran to my comic box and pulled that darn issue, mouth almost foaming with anticipation of the anger that would soon spout forth. And then, without expecting it, a calm rush came over me. The cover was perfect. No rolls, no bends, no errors. I examined more closely and discovered, to my utter shock, that I actually like it better.

I KNOW!!!

I do. I like it better. It has the perfect sheen on it. it lets the light hit it without either absorbing it or reflecting too badly. I like it.

Wow, who would have thunk it. Something I was planning on berating 3 months ago, I ended up forgetting and now love. Ha.

Hows about you guys? Did you forget? come on, be honest. And do you mind the switch?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »

I didn't even notice.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS