HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:58:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "X" marks the spot?  (Read 21945 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »

Oh yes. I love the old stuff. LOVE IT. And I had been going back and reading some of my past favs over the last 3 months or so, and it really got me thinking about today's comics and the pure rehash that they are. That is the reason I was slowly getting out of the big two. I have plenty of memories to re-read to take up all my time.

Plus, I wanted to concentrate on other deserving titles and rid myself of the two monster companies as much as I could.

My problem lies in this however. Most every indy book I enjoy, I want on my bookshelf. Walking, Invincible, Rachael Rising, Locke & Key, etc ... all that new stuff I love, I have to have on my shelf. I need to have it as a HC or at least a trade. However, As that is the case, I hate to continue buying them in monthly format as I know I am just going to get them in another, more enjoyable (for me) format later. So, with that said, I am not going to buy a lot of indy monthlies.

And the real problem ... I love getting monthlies. I really do. I like to see that damn thing in my hand every month. It is a comfort for me.

So, what to do? Nothing. I can't buy indy monthlies on a constant basis (though I am hopeful that SAGA chances that) and I love the monthlies. Time to hit Marvel and DC again.

Until I rid myself of this urge to read a new monthly book, I am just stuck. Just stuck.

But like you mentioned, after you stop buying them, you don't really miss them, or at least you don't miss all of them. I know. I stopped buying all books from 1992 to 2001 or so. The industry was total crap and I just couldn't take it any longer. But now ... now there really are some well told stories coming from the big two and than just makes it even harder to pull away. Yes, they are re-hashed, but damn it, they are telling them so well. Except for Fraction. His DEFENDERS was a slap in the face to all of us older fans.
 Angry

One day, my friend. One day I hope to break away, kick back, and just enjoy reading my old stuff. Like AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 108 through 392 ... or some of my other older titles like that. MICRONAUTS? MASTER OF KUNG-FU? ROM? Oh yeah, I got em. Almost all of the bronze age greatness. One day, I will return to them solely and leave this new age stuff behind.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »

You know, I get what you guys are saying but I have to tell you.  My LCS is still packed every Wednesday for comic book day.  I don't see the higher prices or multiple releases running anybody off here.  Maybe kids today have more money than we did back in our day.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:53 AM »

You know, I get what you guys are saying but I have to tell you.  My LCS is still packed every Wednesday for comic book day.  I don't see the higher prices or multiple releases running anybody off here.  Maybe kids today have more money than we did back in our day.

here's the question though...is it packed with kids or adults?

and perry...i like the monthlies also and the feel (and smell, believe it or not) of the newspaper stock comics in my hands.  here;s how i handle that....i get this magazine called "BackIssue!" which comes out about 8 times a year.  they run stories about the creators, the stories, the characters and more on comics from the 70's through the late 80s.  great mag.  just great.  every time i read a new issue, there is always an article or 2 on something i haven't read yet that makes me wanna go out and scoop them all up.  so, i comb back issue bins, ebay and other sites on the net to find them dirt cheap and enjoy the crap out of them. 

also, i don't know about the rest of you guys, but i started really reading comics in the mid 80s (the first comic i ever remember buying was iron man 161 and the one that kicked off my collecting phase was uncanny 167) so there is a lot of stuff i missed out on that i have gone back and bought.  i now have full runs of moon knight (volume 1), ka-zar, shogun warriors, champions, the human fly, super villain team-up, firestorm, the invaders and power man/powerman & iron fist that i can sit back and enjoy whenever i can.

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »

I basically concur with everything said about the ridiculousness of the double shipping. I love Marvel. You guys can see that from my display name. Most of their titles are GREAT, in my opinion! But, due to being a Marvel completest, this double shipping thing is breaking my wallet. I've had to start doing double shifts at work just to be able to afford it. It's ridiculous and unnecessary.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »

also, i don't know about the rest of you guys, but i started really reading comics in the mid 80s (the first comic i ever remember buying was iron man 161 and the one that kicked off my collecting phase was uncanny 167)

Young whipper-snapper.  Grin

My first new, store bought comic ... a couple days after my 7th birthday. I used some of my card money  Grin

Back then, you could walk to 7-11 a couple blocks away and buy comics, a slurpee and some candy for under $2.  Cheesy

After reading this issue ... I then went back and used the entirety of my birthday card money on more comics (just about) ...
Damn good times.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:29 AM »

so you got 8 years on me. Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 05:01:11 AM »

Do you still have that issue?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »

so you got 8 years on me. Wink

Yeah, that's not too far.  Grin

Do you still have that issue?

Sadly, not that same issue. When I was about 21, I needed some cash to restart my life (Divorce/moved out of town ...back in with parents). Sold my collection of comics and forgot to pull that puppy out.  Cry

About a year later however, after things started to turn back around and I could move out on my own, it was one of the first issues I bought to restart my collection.  Grin
Of course ... a couple of years after that, I moved out of town again, back to my original home to be closer to my daughter, and decided it would be safer to keep the comics with my parents as to avoid any further selling.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

Ha!  If I had done that, my mom would have thrown them out with her first "spring cleaning".   Cheesy

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 02:18:56 AM »

Something occurred to me today. Maybe Marvel is double shipping because they lost about half their audience due to torrents. I'm sure close to half of the people that read Marvel illegally download their comics, rather than pay money for them. Maybe marvel is double shipping to get their customers that pay for their comics legally to pay more. You know, to recoup their losses.

- Hitgirl
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »

Torrents are a crap excuse for any company to use at to why their business model sucks. Look at ITunes. Back when LimeWire and ... who ever it was Lars from Metallica was pissed at the music industry was crying about how they were losing billions ... piracy was killing the cd sales. The record companies changed their business model and BOOM, now business is rocking and piracy is at a low.

There is still music piracy, but nowhere near what it was.

Fact is you will never get rid of people wanting to steal shit that doesn't belong to them. It is a fact. And lets not kid ourselves, that is what torrents are ... organized thievery by little fucktards that would cry to heaven above if it was their shit being swiped for free ... but if the comic industry doesn't want to fix the problem at its source, they get what they get.

They are closing in on it. The digital revolution is a'coming. They just need to stop asking that damn ridiculous price for it.

As far as Marvel 2x shipping because of piracy ... I don't think so. I think it is either -

A) They are a greedy company that is pushing to see what buyers will except
B) They are pushing comics to reach a certain point at a certain time
C) They are nuts
D) All of the above
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »

I think your forgetting the fact that Disney bought them.  They are no longer an indepent comic company and they have to report to higher ups who no doubt require increased profits every quarter.  The only way to get higher numbers is to raise quantity of sales or raise prices.  It would not surprise me if that what's driving these decisions.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't like it and I don't believe it's sustainable but these days it seems like companies only plan by the quarter and don't think strategically anymore for the long term.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 04:16:12 AM »

Sure, it could be momma bear wanting her pups to garner more honey, but I don't think they were losing money to begin with. But yeah, you could be absolutely correct.
Option E)
 Smiley

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »

I think your forgetting the fact that Disney bought them.  They are no longer an indepent comic company and they have to report to higher ups who no doubt require increased profits every quarter.  The only way to get higher numbers is to raise quantity of sales or raise prices.  It would not surprise me if that what's driving these decisions.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't like it and I don't believe it's sustainable but these days it seems like companies only plan by the quarter and don't think strategically anymore for the long term.

hmmm...i never really thought of it that way.  perhaps i should really be pissed at the mouse, huh?
anyway...i still would think someone at disney would have done their homework and knew what the comics world was like.  maybe not.  maybe it is like perry says and they are just pushing to see how far they can push.  don't be surprised at some point in the near future to see amazing, cap, and the xmen go on a weekly shipping status for a summer.

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »

don't be surprised at some point in the near future to see amazing, cap, and the xmen go on a weekly shipping status for a summer.

That would annoy me. ASM just stopped shipping weekly.

- Hitgirl
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS