HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:47:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New ‘Spider-Man’ Swinging Into Comic Book Shops Following Death Of Peter Parker  (Read 5491 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 02, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08/02/new-spider-man-swinging-into-comic-book-shops-following-death-of-peter-parker/

In the wake of the death of Peter Parker, Ultimate Spider-Man is still slinging webs across Manhattan.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – There’s a new web-slinger in town.

New Yorkers take their fictional heroes seriously, so it may come as a shock to some that Peter Parker, the Queens native whose destiny was forever altered by a radioactive/genetically altered spider, has been killed off in the “Ultimates” imprint of Marvel Comics. The Ultimate series is different from Marvel’s standard line, in which Peter Parker is still happily toiling away as everybody’s favorite hard-luck hero.

No, in the Ultimates series, Peter Parker gets killed at the hands of his nemesis the Green Goblin. But, being a comic book series, no hero stays dead for long. While Peter Parker may be gone, a new kid is stepping into the tights: Miles Morales.

Miles Morales is a half-black, half-Hispanic super-powered teen who gets into the hero game after being inspired by Parker’s death.

“He’s younger than Peter Parker, he’s coming from a completely different background, a completely different world view,” writer Brian Michael Bendis told the Associated Press. Bendis, who has been writing Ultimate Spider-Man (and many other) comics for Marvel since 2000, is enthusiastic about the change. “I’m now sitting with a pile of legitimately new Spider-Man stories to tell and that is the best news a writer could have.”

No word on whether the change in ethnicity is going to play a role in casting decisions in upcoming Spider-Man movies or Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »

Yep, no interest from me.

The Ultimate line was an amazing part of comics history and it shall ever hold a spot in my heart, but it is done.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »

I'm all for diversity in comics...but this is not Spider-man. Bendis might as well throw in a couple other minorities and make him a quarter asian and a quarter skrull to make it less forced.  Roll Eyes

I take zero interest in this at all.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »

I'm all for diversity in comics...but this is not Spider-man. Bendis might as well throw in a couple other minorities and make him a quarter asian and a quarter skrull to make it less forced.  Roll Eyes

I take zero interest in this at all.

Yeah - I hate this kind of stuff.  Why can't creators today come up with  new characters to elevate minorities in comics?  Luke Cage is a good example of a popular ethnic character that has stood the test of time.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

My big problem is also the publicity that this new Spider-Man is getting.  The average person on the street is going to think that Spider-Man is now half-black/half-hispanic, which is not the case at all.

Peter Parker is still alive and kicking!

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »

wow...i feeling just the opposite.  While i no longer follow the Ultimate U in any real sense, i think this is exactly what UU should be doing.  Change things up, do things you can't do in 616.  Peter is alive and IMO well in the MU, why not change gears in the UU?  They killed off PP in an extremely well written arc that had tons of emotion and heart, i trust Bendis to put that into Miles as well to build a new continuity.

Since no one has read the origin story yet or even a full issue with Miles, there's no way to know if this will suck or not, be derivitive, exploitive or the best thing since sliced bread.  We don't know how he got his powers and what he'll do or motivates him.  We can no longer perdict how the story might go or who he will face.  Will he fight peters rogues or get all new ones?  For that past few years people were complaining that the UU lost it's edge and were just repeating old MU stories...well not anymore.  It is a huge risk marvel is taking and i hope they pull it off.  Bendis has been very reliable/entertaining writer and I'm sure this isn't just a copy of peter with a new paint job.

As for new character...b!tch all you want, they dont sell.  Everyone says they want new characters but then no one buys them and they get cnacelled after 4-6issues.  Here we have a new character, new friends, family, life but with a familiar hero name that just might sell.  We still dont know his motivation for taking up the spidey costume/name...I sure there is more to the story.

However, while I understand the need to promote, i am not happy with stories breaking in the news before anyone gets to read the book.  Marvel needs to respect their current readers who pay their bills and wait for the book to drop before spreading the word...who knows, maybe a paper will reach out to them instead and show real interest in whats going on instead of being force feed at the expense of people who have followed books for yrs.  Does it really make a difference if there are 100 new readers coming in on Thursday instead of Wednesday?  As a past store owner I say no.  I would rather have my regulars come in on Wed, read the book and be shocked and not face a possible sell out because some newbee wants to see what the fuss is.  If I'm smart i ordered enough so that on Thursday there will be plenty left for anyone who wants to dip their toe in the water.

anyway, just my 2cents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS