HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:34:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Captain America  (Read 9404 times)
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« on: July 24, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »

No one saw this yet? 
I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. 
Chris Evans actually did a great job as Cap.  I have to say that I was actually impressed.  Some of the action scenes were less than believable, but hey, it's a comic book movie.
Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull was perfect casting, and he did an awesome job. 
I did not care for the treatment of Bucky, but I was happy that he was even in the movie at all, to be honest.  I didn't expect to see him. 
The ads for bearer bonds were hilarious, and yet if you know your history, faithfully reproduced. 
The shield action was awesome.
Pretty cool that they had Howard Stark as the inventor of a lot of the tech back in the 40's. 
And I like Tommy Lee Jones in damn near anything, so that was a win for me as well  Cool

Good movie.  I think that they've done Cap justice here. 

8 cosmic cubes out of 10
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

No one saw this yet? 

Waiting for two weeks. I despise theaters, so I have to wait until the crowd dies down a little.

Hear it is pretty good, however, and can't wait to see what you wrote above.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »

it thought it was very well done.  however...the after credits stuff was worth the price of admission alone.

Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:59 AM »

No one saw this yet? 

Waiting for two weeks. I despise theaters, so I have to wait until the crowd dies down a little.

Hear it is pretty good, however, and can't wait to see what you wrote above.
 Grin

Should have seen it around here then.  There was like 20 people in the theatre.

I'd give the film a solid B.  Casting was great.  Action was a little light, but still good.  Nice nods to geekdom like the Howling Commandos and a breif cameo by the Human Torch (The Synthetic man at the expo).

It's downside was probably intentional, but those expecting much depth in this film will be left empty.  It's very much a one dimesional, unwavering good guy vs a too evil for the nazis bad guy film, almost like high budget war propaganda.  It's almost more comedy than action film.  Not that it makes it bad, and in the current political climate I'm kind of thankful they didn't try and make any sort of statment about anything one way or the other, but I think Cap deserves something more Dark Knightish than Thorish.

Now off to the Avengers movie (dear god don't screw that up.)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »

it thought it was very well done.  however...the after credits stuff was worth the price of admission alone.

Spoilers please....what was the post credit stuff?
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »

Captain America Opens to $25.8 Million on Friday

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios' Captain America: The First Avenger opened to an estimated $25.8 million from 3,715 theaters on Friday. The film could earn more than $60 million this weekend domestically.

That means the comic book adaptation topped Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 for the day as the epic finale dropped a large 84% in ticket sales. "Deathly Hallows - Part 2" added $14.6 million at 4,375 theaters, bringing its domestic total to $240.7 million. On its current pace, the movie may earn about $50 million its second weekend.

The other new wide release, the R-rated comedy Friends With Benefits earned $6.8 million from 2,926 theaters.

Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »

Spoilers please....what was the post credit stuff?

It was an Avengers trailer that's been bopping around the internet for the last week or so.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

I paid for the 3-D, which I kind’a swore off after Green Hornet, but, hey, it's not everyday Cap gets a movie.

Really enjoyed this film!  As much as the first Iron Man movie, in fact.

The character of Steve Rogers is really shown to be a man of great courage, intelligence, passion, and strong work ethic looking for a chance not to be a hero, but to just do good.  With all of Cap's character traits they really stuck with the most important and made him feel alive.  Yes, the character, like Superman, can be cheesy - yet it's the unapologetic, non-cynical passion that gives me goosebumps and sets them far apart from brooding masses. 

Seriously, I like this film so much that I left the theater saying, "Who gives a crap about an Avengers movie?!  I just want more Captain America sequels!"

Out of all the super hero movies this summer I was looking forward to this one the most and it's my favorite of the bunch.  And I really liked X-Men and Thor.  Green Lantern... eh.

9 out of 10.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »

Same here, but I wait 2 weeks for another reason.  I can't use my movie theater passes while the film is considered a "special engagement" during the first 2 weeks of release!  Grin

Yeah, I like to enjoy life on the cheap!

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »

Excellent.  Exceeded my expectations.  I was skeptical about Evans when the casting was first announced, but I was very impressed.  Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said.  Just a great movie.  Right up there with Iron Man.

If I had one disappointment, it would be the post-credits teaser.  I was expecting a cool little surprise epilogue like in previous movies, but was disappointed to have waited through the credits just to see a very brief trailer for the Avengers movie.  Really no surprises there.

It would really be neat to see some Cap sequels costarring Samuel L with a Super Hero/ James Bond / Jason Bourne vibe.  A Winter Soldier movie would really be cool.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:50:43 AM »

Finally saw it tonight and LOVED it! Great action and fun moments thrown in, too. Loved that a "Stark" was a key cast member, too. Hated the ending but knew Cap/Steve would end up in this era. The only question I had about the Avengers trailier is "who is the villain:". I don't recognize who he is suppose to be.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »

Finally got around to seeing this myself last night, and I'd have to say that I was completely wrong about this movie...it was pretty darn entertaining and I'd go as far as saying it is better than Iron Man. Impressive performances all around, and I loved how the shield made that "klang!" sound for more impact with each hit. I didn't care for the first ending, and if I wasn't aware of the teaser ending, I would've felt robbed. The Howling Commandos and Bucky complemented the movie well and Peggy Carter...damn!  Grin

I'd give The First Avenger 9 shots of schnapps out of 10.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:01 AM »

Your not going to believe this but yes - I just watched this tonight; New Years Eve.

Loved it.

Really psyched up for the Avengers movie.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:20:31 PM »

That's pretty funny. Not in the way that the owner of a comic book website just watched the best comic book movie of the summer 6 months after it was released.  Wink
No, it's funny because that's what the wife and I watched last night as well. Small world  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS