HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:09:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super 8 anyone?  (Read 3303 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: June 27, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »

this is one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in a long time (IM being the last).  I left the theater with a huge grin on my face.  it hit all the right moments with the right mix of adventure/humor & shock.

Great film...tons of Speilbergian flavor added to JJ's supurb directing.  Kids in the film were engaging and believable, which is rare.

Film takes place in 79 so there is a lot of nastogia for us old timers Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:13 PM »

Kids in the film were engaging and believable, which is rare.

Agreed.  I mean, yes, the kids from The Goonies could be cartoon characters at times, no question, but when they were going back and forth in conversation that fight incredibly real to me.  Like me and my friends - being roughly the same age as the characters a the time - talking and shouting at each other getting overly exuberant.

Since Super 8 is a much darker film in tone than The Goonies, and since J.J. Abrams was directing, the cartoon was stripped away.  They were still interesting kids, just more real. 

BTW, that kid with the braces?  His comedic timing was top notch!

A lot of folks call this a big love letter to Steven Spielberg's earlier work.  I'd agree, but not entirely.

I think it went back and forth between being a Spielberg film and Abrams film equally till about the last ten to fifteen minutes when it became all Spielberg.  With Abrams taking it back with the kid's film during the credits.  Grin

The Spielberg notes are unmistakable, but Abrams gave these characters and their reactions to what was happening a lot of realism in a movie so fantastical in scope.

I mean, not disrespect to Spielberg, but when the blonde girl gave that long speech about what happened to her father and the camera never cut away… I don’t see a Spielberg film able to pull that off.

In any case a fun, fun movie.  If I was a kid that never saw a single early Spielberg film it’d probably be mind blowing.

And as great as all these comic book movies are, I'm glad to see a science fiction flick that's not based on any previously existing property.  Nice change of pace.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »

Best movie I've seen all year.

Great casting for the main characters. The kids are engaging and really propelled the great story. I was amazed that they were able to combine a lot of touching moments with the scary monster backdrop so well. And I absolutely loved how we saw the finished zombie movie during the credits.

This movie was "mint"!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS