HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:16:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: One last time...Wizard Casting Call: Superman  (Read 4796 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: February 07, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »

I knew Wizard was in trouble when I was given this issue I have in front of me for free at my LCS back in early Dec.

Well...technically I knew Wizard was in trouble when I first started seeing sites like Newsarama.com years ago, but that's another matter...

Even though I probably own only 3 or 4 issues of the magazine, I did like flipping through it at the newsstands when someone had ripped open the plastic bag before I got there.  (I distance myself from such petty crimes, you see.)  Never got everyone's level of "hate" for the mag.

And though I never fully agreed with the Casting Call section, they were always fun.

So, in honor of that fun, here's Wizard's picks for the Zack Snyder Superman movie.

(Yeah, yeah, I know they already picked a Superman - again, trying have some fun here.)

Clark Ken/Superman: Matthew Bomer (White Collar)
Lois Lane: Rashida Jones (The Office and Parks and Recreation)
Jimmy Olsen: Clark Duke (Kick-Ass and Hot Tub Time Machine)
Perry White: Hugh Laurie (House)
Zod: Gerard Butler (300)
Brainiac: Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead and Star Trek)
Lex Luthor: Jon Hamm (Mad Men)

My thoughts

*I'm a fan of the show White Collar and I was surprised I never considered Bomer for the role before.  After looking him up he was apparently in the front running for the role back when Brett Ratner was going to direct Superman Returns.  Probably old news to most fanboys, but it's news to me.  I haven't seen him in enough other roles to put full support behind him - wouldn't hate it though.  A young Superman of course.  I imagine current day Superman to be a more "father figure" action type.

*Rashida Jones as Lois Lane is so friggin' perfect I'll be disappointed if anyone else gets the role.  Smart, assertive, funny, attractive, and able to talk quickly.  Even has a similar voice to Margo Kidder now that I think about it.  Not that you *need* that last one, I’m just sayin'. 

*No problem with the Jimmy Olsen pick.  Too bad Seth Green is too old for the role, though could probably still pull it off, he still looks pretty young.  I’m still surprised he wasn't in Superman Returns.

*Hugh Laurie?  Good actor, though I can't friggin' stand that show he's on.  I'd rather they got a fat guy.

*Butler as Zod?  Works for me quite a bit.

*Simon Pegg as Brainiac?  Not so much.  I like Pegg.  I like Brainiac.  Still not a good fit for me. *Maybe* Manchester Black or Toyman or Prankster or Riot...I don't know.  I'd rather Brainiac be in his Byrne Terminator look or really any of his more robot looks.

*Jon Hamm as Lex Luthor...here's where I'm torn.  Hamm can nail the Luthor role.  Yet, he seems WAY more prefect for the Superman role.  In an interview on the Never Not Funny Podcast he talked about feeling he was too old to be tied into a possible 10-year franchise.  BTW, then he alluded to the role not being as interesting as Batman would...which is a common misconception I really don't get that at all.  Anyway, that's just me.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »

Simon Pegg as Manchester Black would be amazing!! I would so love to see that!! I think I'd do nothing but bwahahaha! the entire time!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS