HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:06:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DAREDEVIL  (Read 13813 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »

Yes, didn't take long, but come July we will see
DAREDEVIL #1

Yeah, I'm going to get it ... so what?
 Tongue
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:55:51 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

What is the premise this time?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:27:28 AM »

Yep.  Makes sense.  That's right about the time Daredevil Reborn wraps up.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:10 PM »

What is the premise this time?

Certainly that is not a snark remark about how often characters are re-formatted  Cheesy

As I am not a fan of the Demon-Daredevil story lines they push at us every 10 years or so, hopefully the premise will be a street level vigilante that just happens to wear a red costume.  Grin

As I don't know who the creative talent will be yet, the tone is still up in the air, sadly

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

DAREDEVIL #2

Yes, I am still at least a month behind on this title, but I just read issue 2 and as soon as I hit the "post" button, I am off to read issue 3. Glenn had asked me about this title, and I originally, after only reading the first issue, told him it was okay but not stellar (or something to that effect).

I now change my opinion. The ending of this issue was like traveling back in time and reliving the Marvel glory years of my youth. That is not to say that the issue is dated, as it is very much not, but only that it left me with the classic "oh, I can't wait to see how this turns out" feeling.

Waid really knocked it out of the park with this issue.

The art by Rivera is also not as "archie'esque" as I made claim to on issue 1, but his style with the radar effects and the villain shown towards the end of this issue are still extremely well done.

Was starting to get really down on my 'super-hero' books again (happens to me about once a year), started to think about leaning more towards Marvel and DC's non-hero books more, but this issue alone has reinvigorated my love for the genre. That sucks, because I was looking for an easy way to save some money ... dropping a lot of hero books.
 Grin

I still have to read issue 3, but I can wholeheartedly vouch for this issue as being a "Perry must read". Even if you can't find issue 1, pick up this issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »

Just read issue #3 and all I can say is ... Fantastic story. This is like reading an 70's DD, but with up to date writing.  Grin

Yep. fantastic story. What is also great with this issue, it wrapped up a three issue arc. You heard me, a 3 issue and done storyline. Yay.
 Grin

I strongly suggest tracking down these 3 issues and reading them ... of course, I guess the 'reading them' aspect is redundant ... why else would you track them down, if not to read them?
 Grin

I really like this Matt. More jovial, yet still determined.

Great start to a great new/old series

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »

This is so good a cover in so many ways it is not funny ...

CBR Preview DD 10 cover by Rivera

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »

Wow!  That is really cool.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »

Yeah I was so disappointed he wasn't the artist for more than the first three issues, but so glad he is coming back.
 Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »

DD issue #7

Damn it. Even the snow can't take away my favorite part about this new DAREDEVIL title. Paolo Rivera's art. I mean, true he has a more 'cartoon' style, but this guy can draw with the best of them. Just look at the line work in those trees. I just laid the book out on my table, to the page right after the staple, and just looked at it for a few minutes and it is not even a splash page. The wind swirls, the snow ... this guy is fantastic.

The story was ... eh ... a little too holiday festive  Cheesy, but as long as Rivera is here, it's all grand.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »

DAREDEVIL ISSUE #14

Wow, it's been over 6 months since I have posted here to sing the praises of this book? That is a travesty as this book is just incredible.

This issue we find the recently teleported Matt still standing after hour in his glass box awaiting ... well ... a gassing. Of course he has no clue why the gas did nothing, and neither do we, at first, but sadly for Matt we find out more information than he does. He just feels the outcome. Still waiting for Doom to make an appearance, but love any story revolving around Latveria.

Love the last panel by the way. Something sad but humorous in its delivery.

9 outta 10 Surgical Nanites

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

Well I finally decided to hit that stack of comics that has been eluding my attention over the past month or so, and to start it off I chose to honor my pledge to Jeff, in regards to our Daredevil agreement  Wink, to write a little something about the recent issues. This is course means DD is secure on his pull list once again.

I read the last two issue's (16 & 17) back to back and while both are very well constructed, I can see why my boy Jeff was thinking of dropping this title. For while the deli mustard overflows on this two issue sandwich, there is very little meat to be had. In other words ... the spice, the flavor, is there, but it lacks the protein to make you feel satisfied and full. More condiment fueled, introspective story-telling than powerful pastrami, advancement of title.

To break down by issue ... just a tad ... and yes, as always, when I list and underline the title, there is a good chance I WILL BE SPOILING SOME THINGS. Maybe not, as most things I type may just confuse you, the reader (what else is new?) ... but just be warned. I relay thoughts as if you have also read the issue.
 Wink

ISSUE #16

This one I enjoyed. More of a look inside a character (literally in this case), but I enjoyed the Hank Pym/Matt Murdock blending of personal history. Never been a huge Pym fan (no underlying pun intended) but he is presented well here.

Plus there is just something about Chris Samnee's art that I enjoy. I also appreciate that so far, all artist on this title have continued the look of Matt's radar imagery brought to light by Rivera. Thought it looked cool when he did it, and I enjoy that it is still being used. 

Foggy's meltdown at the end (while showing Matt what he found in the drawer) kinda bugged me, as Foggy has always been one to ask first and then decide the course of action, but after so many years of dealing with all of Matt's shit, I can excuse this explosive, mental collapse.
 Grin

Issue #17

Allred. Quite possibly the only artist that could pull off Stilt-Man in this day and age. Not sure I would like him as a regular artist, but man can I dig him as an occasional fill-in.

As far as the story goes, eh, another "look inside" issue, but this time more of a "remember when". Enjoyable, but not what I have been expecting of DD lately. A done in one story that is more of a reflection of the past.

Really nothing more to say. At least for me ... as shocking as that is Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »

Yep.  You just reminded me why I was losing interest.  I didnt buy the Foggy meltdown either.  Seemed forced and out of character.

But a deals a deal and plus, Mark Waid is normally really good so I don't mind giving him a couple of extra chances to pull me back in.  I'd say I'm safe to stick with this title through the next two arcs.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »

Issue #18

Okay, now we have something ... again.
Death by very mysterious ways and means. A man falling to his death through the floor of an elevator? A man, locked in a room with only his nurse, drained of all blood with-in seconds?

I was thinking this could be the return of Mysterio, but then I remembered seeing the solicits for next month, with a new character on the cover and was kinda saddened. Oh well, as long as he keeps taking people out like this, he could be a good substitute for said Mysterio, even if it is only the bad guys he is targeting.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »

DAREDEVIL #19 and #20

Now THIS is what I'm talking 'bout. Fantastic two issues of ole horn-head. After a few slow burn issues, Waid brings the "pow" back into the title by having this new villain, "Coyote", show his vile plan. And who is that hanging from the ceiling? Is that The Spot? But if Coyote is using the same power as The Spot, is he not The Spot? Either way, this new use of the 'spot' power is pretty damn cool (as you can see from the cover of issue #19 above).

Art wise, Samnee once again nails it. I do miss Rivera, but Samnee's style is so close overall, it is not a drastic change. In fact, my two favorite solo books (DAREDEVIL and HAWKEYE) could easily use an artists rotation as they are all similar. Sort of a simple, story-board type of style. Usually I prefer a more robust, realistic form, but it really works here.

If you want a book that brings the fun back into the your Marvel comics, this is it.

A solid 8 outta 10 transport portals

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS