HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:05:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JL #1 and the Start of the 52  (Read 6037 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

the new Justice League book has been out for a few days and sold out all over the place but no one is talking about it here?

Where are all the DC fans?

Was it good, bad, indifferent?

I'm a Marvel guy so I'm not reading but I was curious as to the Members of the Realms opinions.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:00:10 PM by Jeff » Logged
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »

We are slow to the draw, but we'll get to talkin' eventually....at least Jeff and Perry will.....Cause most here get their books on a bi-weekly/monthly basis... Grin

I got it, but I have to finish Flashpoint #4-5 (which I will read soon), because I heard that it leads right into Justice League.  I flipped through it to look at the pretty Jim Lee art, but wasn't blown away as it looks kinda rushed in some parts, like when he was doing the art for Superman.

From a selling standpoint here in southern California, I have several friends that have comic book shops, and from what I've seen and heard is that they still have a good amount of the regular cover on the shelves (they ordered about 75-100 copies per store).  It's the bagged black one with the digital code that everyone kinda wants for the novelty about it, that all stores are sold out of.    It just wasn't the lines out the door that some shops are reporting on Wednesday.  Only a trickling of new readers are inquiring about the new DC line.....I hope DC knows what they are doing here.....

What's the over/under on how long this new 52 will last? Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:12:05 AM »

Just got my shipment in today and it's in there but I've got to finish Flashpoint 1st.  Be back soon.....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »

I found it to be ... fair.
 Undecided

SPOILERS BELOW obviously

The hardest part of this read for me, was remembering the heroes are 'new'. Hal for example, doesn't speak like the Hal I was just reading a month or two ago. He is a little more cocky and that is how it should be, I guess, as he was an arrogant test pilot. It just seemed odd to read this different voice.

He also seems a little too adapt with his ring. If we are getting a younger Green Lantern, I would like him to have had a little more "Just learning this ring" qualities to him. Hal is throwing all kinds of stuff out there like a seasoned pro. Most of which he is not even concentrating on. Eh, would have liked a little less "I know I can do anything with this ring" and more "Ooops, I didn't mean to do that.

Also, I agree with most reviewers when they say that this is more like a BRAVE & the BOLD read, as it only contains 2 JLA characters (in costume) until the very end (And even I have to say that was a cool splash page  Wink). Now true this is a story of the forming of the League, so you have to start with the few and grow to the many, so I understand only having a few characters.

Art wise, Lee has some great stuff in here, and then he has some not so great stuff. Lots of blending in the final ink that sometimes you have to look to see what is going on ... Ha ... I guess you always have to 'look' to 'see' whats going on, huh? Ha.

The biggest problem I have;
The transport scene. When Bat's and GL are having a conversation about using a bright Green plane to sneak to their destination. They have this talk after they arrive where they are going. Did Bats not think of this until they landed? Could they not have just used some of Bats many flight capable vehicles? Okay, perhaps this is a 'too young to have flight vehicles, Batman', couldn't Bats just ask Hal to produce a chair or some other item, smaller than a freaking plane to get them where they are secretly trying to get to?

Over all, I think I enjoyed the idea of the book more than the book itself, but still enjoyed it. The few flaws, for me, are not glaring ones, but they are there.

6 outta 10 WATCHTOWERS

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »

I think it's interesting that the first arc is the secret origin of Vic Stone/Cyborg.
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »

It was okay....hope it gets better.

I'm not much of a GL fan, but reading this issue made me like Hal even less.  His "voice" is annoying to me to say the least.  I'm with Perry thinking that he is way to experienced with his ring constructs.

I'm going to give this the honest 6 issue try, or however long the first storyarc plays out, but this book is nothing spectacular.  And I love me some Jim Lee art and Geoff Johns books of yesteryear.....

I really like having a little DC in my life, but I have a bad feeling that this might be the beginning of the end of my enjoyment of the DC for a while...  Undecided

I give it 5 blue underwear out of 10

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:15 AM »

Well,

I got the feeling these these new DC heroes are very arrogant, do not trust each other and would just as soon kick a citizen's tail or each other in a heart beat. Just the guys I want to depend.

As for the world does not understand and/or hates them. I am not screaming X-men yet. The original DC golden age stories established the world not like vigilantes or believing in the extraordinary events of the heroes.

I am still haning in to give it a try, but I was not blown away by this issue.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »

I have to agree.  Not really blown away.  I see myself losing interest after the first arc.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS