HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 12:30:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THE CAPE  (Read 8175 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »

So is THE CAPE set in anyone's DVR for this Sunday?

I currently have it set though I am not sure it will remain. But in the "gotta support comic themed stuff" mentality, I will give it a shot.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »

Haven't been able to bring myself to add it yet.  It doesn't look very good from the previews.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:34:33 AM »

Another NBC super hero show?  Hmmm.

I was disappointed in the Bionic Woman.

I never bothered trying Heroes.  No interest. (fanboy "blasphemy," I know, I know)

But for some reason I have to check this out.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »

Haven't been able to bring myself to add it yet.  It doesn't look very good from the previews.

Shocked
Not sure what previews you have seen, but the ones I watched ...  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:13:37 AM »

DVR set to record!

Looks cheesy as hell, but I'm easy to please...I watch No Ordinary Family and Human Target for crying out loud.

I hope it is at least as good as the aforementioned shows....

HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:03 AM »

So bad it was good...every fiber of my being wants to hate it, but it's so comic book cheesetastic! First hour was better than the second hour, Summer Glau is looking hotter than ever, and The Cape has a cooler cape than Batman! I'm on the fence cause this show is awesomely bad, but it puts a smile on my face!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »

So bad it was good..

... and then it circled right back around to bad.
 Undecided

After giving Jeff a hard time about adding this to his DVR, I now wish I had not added it myself.
I give it 4 weeks.

HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »

So bad it was good..

... and then it circled right back around to bad.
 Undecided

After giving Jeff a hard time about adding this to his DVR, I now wish I had not added it myself.
I give it 4 weeks.

Yeah, I think it will be gone as soon as they can find a replacement show for the timeslot!  But I'll enjoy the crapfest while it lasts....hahahaha

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »

I kind of liked it...I liked the escape artist aspect, the circus of crime and being trained by the various circus folk but it was put together so poorly and had so many holes it was hard to follow.  for example...they show the circus leader captured and being tortured but the viewer has no idea how that happend and then the next scene has the tiny strong man telling the hero that the other guys been captured.  it's like it was edited backwards or they just didn't care.

they should focus on the training more, each ep he has to learn something new and incorperate that into his mission. but otherwise it was pretty weak and cliche.

not going to make it long.

on the other hand I've been watching Heros season 1 on netflicks and that is so well put together and engaging it really makes this seem like a student project.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

It's like the creators said, "Okay, okay!  We know how corny this is and how much people will see stuff coming.  So let's just do it super fast, like pulling a Band-Aid, before they have a chance to roll their eyes and ask too many questions."

I too like the circus stuff.  Felt like a pulp hero origin how quickly he was learning everything.

And I like Summer Glau and all on Firefly, Terminator, and that one time I saw her on Chuck - a show she'd probably be better off on.  But seeing her as a hacker gave me Christmas Jones flashbacks.

All in all, not a good show...but I still kinda want to see the next episode.  Weird.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:24:01 PM by Tokyo Vigilante #1 » Logged
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

Thanks Tok and Wringer for putting their thoughts on the show so eloquently....it's the exact points I wanted to get across.

It's bad tv, but it's nice to see something not take itself too seriously! As in comics, you have to suspend disbelief, but Cape might be asking too much by dumbing it down too much.

Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »

I kinda liked it for what it seemed to be trying to be: a throwback to cheesy 80s actions shows akin to the A-Team.  At a time when so many TV dramas are so serious and pretentious, it's kind of refreshing to have something lighter and more fun.  Call it a guilty pleasure, but I'd rather this than The Event, who's timeslot it's currently using.

Sadly I don't see it lasting.  Poor Summer Glau.  It seems any show she's on for more than a single episode cameo is destined to have a short life span.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

It's too cheesy for me.

There are many, many good things to watch, to read, and to do.

This show doesn't take itself seriously (which is nice to see, too), but nothing it does is seriously worth watching either.

2 and done with this one. I have zero interest. I muddled through No Ordinary Family for 6 episodes before becoming utterly bored with the whole project.

I read comics. Lots of comics. Why watch shows that barely scrape off the top layer of a comic's possible intensity and weakly showcase it in banal media?

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:35:31 AM »

Mondays ep wasn't too bad, actually pretty good.  I actually laughed a couple of times, and not at the cheeze.  The son not letting his mom's co-worker in was well done, especailly later when he opened the door and they had a nice moment and then closes it in the other guys face.

maybe there's hope, doubt it but you never know.
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »

Reported on Blastr......

It looks like The Cape is done. After struggling in the ratings since it premiered, and NBC cutting the show's episode order from 13 to 10 episodes, the network has decided to run The Cape's final original episode only online sometime later this month.

NBC had planned to air the last two episodes, nine and 10, of the comic-book-inspired series last Monday, after postponing the relaunch of The Event to March 7. However, the network decided instead to air an original Chuck in its normal timeslot and finish off The Cape's on-air run with episode nine, "Razor."

This decision certainly comes about due to the falling ratings The Cape has suffered since the series premiered. On Monday, the show could only manage 4.09 million viewers with 1.2 ratings for adults 18-40. That made it one of the lowest-rated network shows still on the air.

Regarding the move to show the final episode online only, NBC announced on its website, "Flash: The creators of The Cape are prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans! Keep watching this site in the days ahead to see a full-length special episode."

Makes it almost sound like "the creators" planned that all along.

In "Razor," we were left with a major Orwell cliffhanger, and several continuing storylines. However, with one episode to go, it seems unlikely there is any real shot shot at creating any kind of satisfying ending for The Cape.

In an exclusive interview with creator and executive producer Tom Wheeler earlier this season, he gave me a hint at what he planned for the series before he knew NBC would cut The Cape's run short.

"The second half of the season, things definitely take off in a slightly more serialized way," said Wheeler. "A lot of storylines are going to unfold over time. I mean, I love serialized storytelling."

And it's likely we'll never get the real scoop on Summer Glau's character, Orwell. "There will be a huge developments for Orwell's character nearing the end of the first 13," he said.

As far as the Cape himself, "in Fugitive-like fashion, Vince is going to be trying to get back to his family. He'll be learning much more about this criminal underworld of Palm City and how difficult it is going to get back. ... Vince is, in a strange way, becoming a ghost in his own life, and there's a lot of different ways to go there and explore that," said Wheeler.

"There's a lot of big stories that we'll start to plant that would play out in subsequent seasons, and I'm definitely building a mythology around the Cape itself and a sense of destiny that we might not realize at first. But there will be greater connectiveness to things than we initially realize.

"For those who really want to pop on for the long ride, I approach this thing as a novel, and so I think a lot about the end and a lot about where The Cape ends up. I'm imagining a pretty sweeping, epic storyline that still sticks emotionally to its starting point," said Wheeler.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS