HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:39:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seeking Final Fantasy Recommendation  (Read 7952 times)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« on: December 31, 2010, 09:11:30 PM »

I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games.  Probably hard to believe, but I don't have the first clue about the series other than they're RPG games and they seem to be popular.  Anyway, I noticed that VII, VIII, and IX are available as downloads on the PS Network for $10 each.

Anyway, I'm in the mood for an RPG and I'm considering downloading one of these.  Which (if any) of those three would you recommend?

Thanks.

(Oh... and Happy New Year.  Smiley)

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 04:10:16 AM »

Of those three, either 7 or 9.  7 had the largest impact and was a solid game, while 9 didn't qutie leave a mark, but was a very fun and full game.

8 isn't bad either, but not without its flaws.
Sith_Chimera
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »

VI is the best. However, if you're talking solely of what's available on the PSN, I'd get Final Fantasy Tactics. If you've never played a tactics game, this is the one to play. It's not a core FF game, but it is one of the best games ever made. Strategy RPG or RPG.

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »

I have Lord of the Rings: Third Age for PS2 and a blast playing it.  I'd heard that its turn-based combat was modeled after one/some of the Final Fantasy games.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »

If those are your only Final Fantasy choices, my personal favorite is 9, mainly because it harkens back to the oldschool days of Final Fantasy before everything went all steam punk or sci-fi (depending on which game).  It wasn't as loved by the Playstation fans mainly because most of them experienced Final Fantasy 7 as their first FF game.

Final Fantasy 7 isn't bad... it's just so overblown and overrated.  It's over-the-top and melodramatic from a story perspective.  Gameplay is okay... it's easy enough to get into but nuanced enough for those willing to put in the effort to really learn how to use the materia system properly.

I think my favorite combat system is in 8 with the junction system... something really cool about drawing out magic from your opponent that I really enjoy.  I think 8 is better than 7, but that's a personal opinion.  (I think it's just a strong dislike for 7 because everyone thinks it's the best.  Bah to them... I'm just a hater).

Personally, my all time favorite FF game is 6 (or, if you have Super Nintendo, it was part 3).  It had a great story, great combat system, memorable characters and moment.  It's a fantastic example of oldschool Japanese RPG.  You can get it on the Final Fantasy Anthology for the PSone or as a standalone for the Gameboy Advanace.  While you're at it, you should check out part 4 (or Part 2 on the Super Nintendo).  Another great example of oldschool RPG.  Great characters and story.  (You can find that one on the Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PSone, a standalone game on the Gameboy Advance, or in a remade with new graphics on the DS)

Speaking of Final Fantasy, if you have a working PS2, you should check out Final Fantasy 10.  It was solid entry too.

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »

I think 8 is better than 7, but that's a personal opinion.  (I think it's just a strong dislike for 7 because everyone thinks it's the best.  Bah to them... I'm just a hater).

To quote Jimmy T, bah and feh to you, sir.  FF7 is a great game which I wasted the better part of 6 months playing every little side quest and finding all secret characters, etc.  I have fond memories of that game.  It got more attention than my wife.  Cheesy

Personally, my all time favorite FF game is 6 (or, if you have Super Nintendo, it was part 3).  It had a great story, great combat system, memorable characters and moment.  It's a fantastic example of oldschool Japanese RPG.  You can get it on the Final Fantasy Anthology for the PSone or as a standalone for the Gameboy Advanace. 

This, I can agree with.  FF3, which I played on my SNES, was the game that got me hooked on all things FF.  Probably the greatest game I ever played on that system, with the possible exception of Zelda:A Link To The Past.  I wish I had kept my SNES just so I could re-play both of those games. 
Sith_Chimera
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:52 AM »

This, I can agree with.  FF3, which I played on my SNES, was the game that got me hooked on all things FF.  Probably the greatest game I ever played on that system, with the possible exception of Zelda:A Link To The Past.  I wish I had kept my SNES just so I could re-play both of those games. 

You meant to say, with the possible exception of Zelda: A Link To The Past and CHRONO TRIGGER, right? I forgive you, though.  Cool

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:02 AM »

Hey, thanks for all of the recommendations.

Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »

If you have an iPhone, the App store just released Secret of Mana, another fine RPG from Square-Enix.  My SNES is coming back to me in the form of my phone.   Smiley Smiley  I will really be a happy man if they release FF3 and Chrono Trigger. 
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »

Well,  they have already released FF3, and today I see this on G4:

Chrono Trigger was an action-RPG for the SNES. It has since been released for the Nintendo DS and PS1 but a current-gen console re-release is what fans of the series want. Last month Square Enix confirmed Chrono Trigger would be making an appearance on the Virtual Console in Japan but an American launch was not confirmed. Now, the ESRB has given the game an E10+ rating, for 'swords, crossbows, and magic spells (e.g., lightning bolts, ice strikes) to engage fantastical creatures in turn-based combat; enemies blink and disappear when defeated. One scene depicts characters strapped to small guillotines inside a jail cell; during another sequence, a character sacrifices himself (i.e., turns to dust) to save other members of his party.' This means we'll be getting the game state-side as well.

REVIEW: Chrono Trigger DS Review

A mobile and PSN version of Chrono Trigger was also dated. Neither have received an official announcement. Before I wanted to be a games journalist I dabbled with the idea of being a fortune teller. If my predictions are correct, I bet we'll see the Wii version this August, 16 years after its original release.

Do you want Chrono Trigger for the consoles?"

Um, howzabout "HELL YES!!!"
Light Warrior
HR Hero

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:48:40 AM »

It's likely the PS1 version released with Final fantasy Chronicles.  I already have that and the DS version (and had the SNES version). 

Barring a surprise in the release, I'll stick to the DS one.  No load times, smoother animation in the cutscenes and an extra dungeon and ending.

Now a full remake or sequal, that I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS