HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:23:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LOCKE & KEY  (Read 4778 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »

Spent a portion of today, my last day off before work claims my soul once again, reading the first 3 volumes of LOCKE & KEY. Saying this is simply an amazing piece of work does not even come close to the accolades it deserves, so I will say it at the start of a new sentence, where it can start capitalized ...  I shall also leave it on its own paragraph island so no other words block its glory.

Simply an amazing piece of work.

It is very rare to find a book with an almost perfect chorus of writing and art, but this has it. Structurally I am amazed at Hill's pacing, dialog and understand of static story-telling. While Rodriquez captures mood, aspect and perspective like a seasoned director.

The first two volumes kept me hanging on, non-stop, as if I was stuck in a wonderful roundabout, while the third slipped a little and had me happy to find the exit. That is not to say that the third volume was bad ... surely not, but I felt less enthralled by its pull compared to the first two bewitching books.

This may not be the highest recommendation I have ever given a book (series), but it has to rank near the top. Yes, I know, the chance of this plea actually finding someone that has yet to read this series is remote, but just in case ... Do yourself a favor and buy this.

10 out of 10 magical numbers

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »

I agree with Perry wholeheartedly.....if you're not reading it....you better damn should be!

Locke & Key is far and away the best new series that I have read in the past couple of years.

The story and backstory that builds the tapestry that is Locke and Key is so rich and deep that you are easily sucked in.  You just want to keep reading more and more about the eerie, strange, magical, and horrific circumstances that these children have inherited.  The keys and the powers they unlock are awesome, and that Dodge character creates a great tension with the havoc he creates!

For me, I enjoyed Welcome to Lovecraft, and Crown of Shadows more....but maybe because I'm not too fond of the "Head" key and how it works!  Plus, I think we learn a lot more about the kids more in the 3rd volume....and that chapter with the mom and the doctor key thing was powerful stuff.

10 out of 10 spooky keys

HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »

Working my way through Volume 4 finally!  About halfway through....

The creative team is definitely taking a different approach to the storyline in some respects...

Way too many keys are being introduced here, and are pretty much getting glossed over.....

But the homage to Calvin & Hobbes artwork was definitely appreciated in the first chapter!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »

But the homage to Calvin & Hobbes artwork was definitely appreciated in the first chapter!

Smiley
Loved that

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »

BODE!

The ending to Keys to the Kingdom was awesome!

How's Clockworks shaping up so far Perry?  I have to fight the temptation not to pick up the floppies!  The HCs look so handsome on the shelf.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS