HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:20:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MORNING GLORIES  (Read 22150 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 13, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »

MORNING GLORIES #1
----------------------

Angry

Crap.

I just read MORNING GLORIES. Actually read it instead of looking through the art. My initial response to the art, a few months ago, was not good and I stated as such. Well ... I guess I just looked at the two or three really bad pages because after reading this ... it is not that bad at all. Nothing that is going to wow me ... but it was not as obtrusive as I thought skimming through it the first time.

This is actually a pretty interesting first issue and written pretty damn tight.

Pissed of because I stopped getting it after I saw the art and now I am going to pop open issue #2 and read it and I know I will end up liking the damn thing ...
 Angry

Oh well, here goes nothing ....

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

Gonna have to read this series in collected format....

I neglected to preorder this, and I hear that this book sold like hotcakes, sold out of the first and second issue, and is already in several printings!

Kicking myself for not going with my gut instinct.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »

Yeah, I preordered the first 3, but was regretting it after I saw the art in issue #1.

Now that I realize it isn't as bad as I thought (I still see the two pages that are very bad  Undecided) it reads a lot easier. And I now have to hit the LCS for issue 4 (as I have put it back on my pull now starting with 5 and 6)

MORNING GLORIES #2
---------------------------

Okay, I am now officially intrigued. There are things that happen here that bother me, mainly the way the kids react to certain situations (Not like they should), but nothing that is really worth complaining over (other than one involving the dead parents  Angry) but I am liking that I have no idea what the @#%$ is going on. Not in a Grant "What the hell is he talking about" Morrison kinda way, but in a "ohhh, what is this now" kinda way
 Grin

Structurally, this book does have its problems. Reactions are off or forced and art, while getting better visually, lacks proper pacing at times (There is a scene where we are in the class and the teacher says "take her out" and then in the next panel we see the guys carrying the girl through the classroom door, but the teacher is already in the hall talking to someone ... to me, that is crap art. Should have had them draggin her down the hall or going through another door if the teacher is in the hall already, The timing/pacing is off for student compared to teacher. It is the small things people !!!)
 Angry

Anyway, still worth the read.

I have seen where this book is described as LOST meets RUNAWAYS ... I can see it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:25:12 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

I hear the first trade will be the first 6 issues and only 10 bucks.

Kinda makes me feel dumb for waiting on the first issue's second printing...not to mention I have bought issues 3 and 4 without reading them since I'm still waiting for another printing of issue 2, which was sold out.

Eh.  I'm not too mad.  Anytime an indy comic does this well it makes me feel better about the industry as a whole.  So my feelings are still overall positive.

BTW has anyone seen the show "Tower Prep" on Cartoon Network?  I've only seen ads for it and it seems a lot like Morning Glories.  Not that I think anyone is copying anyone else, which would be kind of impossible to do given when these projects are coming out.  Just found it odd.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:27:18 PM »

Ok - has anyone caught up to the current issues?

Is it worth getting or a must have?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »

Damn, Jeff, kinda tough to call.

Some of the polish is wearing off as the art is really starting to trouble me again and certain things that happen just seem to ... forced.

I say wait on it.

Or if you want, I can ebay them to you  Cheesy I even have the sketch card.

But I say just buy the trade if you want to give it a shot. The books are going for a pretty decent clip right now.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:22:28 AM »

Yeah I found the first 5 issues on eBay starting at $40.  Seems a little steep.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »

Coming out this Wednesday, February 23rd...

Morning Glories 7

Zoe has everything-looks, popularity, and a perfect GPA. But if you think you know all there is to know about her, think again. The secret she keeps sheds new light on the mysteries of Morning Glory Academy! 'Just as strong as Spencer's writing is Joe Eisma's artwork. Though the style of his art differs considerably from the striking work of the cover artist, Rodin Esquejo, Eisma's efforts in no way suffer from comparison. He utilizes strong, clean lines that provide plenty of detail.' -Ross Haralson, SilverBullet.com TAG: THE HIT BOOK OF 2010 BEGINS A NEW STORY ARC! THE PERFECT JUMP-ON POINT AT ANY ALL-NEW LOWER PRICE! Cover price $2.99.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »

Morning Glories TPB - collecting issues 1 - 6

WOW!  What great series! I read this trade this week and can't express accurately how much I enjoyed it.  The characters are good and the mystery surrounding the school has really drawn me in.  That last page reveal really made my jaw drop and had me aching for more.

I might have to jump on this monthly but I will say that it reads nicely in trade paperback.

How do you guys like where this is going??
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:18:01 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »

I just think the art drags it down a little for me. It is not horrible, but there are times I just cringe.

I have stopped at issue 7, and in fact plan to put them on Ebay tomorrow, I may check it out later, but it is just too up and down for me, and some of the writing seems forced at times.

Hoping his work on Secret Avengers isn't as choppy.
 Undecided

Really glad you enjoy it though.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »

Not really sure what your complaint is with the art.  It seems fine to me and never distracted me at all.

I agree with you on the reaction to the dead parents - could have used a little more realistic reaction.

But that's about the only complaint I had.  Maybe it reads better in trade?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »

Maybe it reads better in trade?

Perhaps.  Smiley

Back to the art ... it is not 'bad' or poorly executed, it is just not an appealing look to me. While layout is sound, the characters are too polygonal in appearance. They look almost 'Apple64 generated' in structure. They are boxy and often with skewed perspective. Again, not horrible, and sometimes it didn't bother me (like in issues 2 and 4) but other times I just couldn't look past it.

Certainly not trying to knock the artist, but it is just not for me. Smiley

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »

Great book, but it's so hard to get individual issues I'm going to have to wait for trades now.  Shame.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »

I finished the third TPB yesterday.  It brings you pretty much up to date and at times has blown me away.  It's almost like watching LOST with all the weird twists and turns.  I especially like how Spenser has multiple threads going and they all draw you in.

Does anyone know if the series has a definite end?  At some point the mystery has to be revealed and I can't see it going past that.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »

So I finished Vol 1 of the Morning Glories HC (issues 1-12) and it is pretty good. I am still really pissed about how the one girl
seems relatively unfazed by her parents murder (she maybe cries for about 2 minutes and then it's "La-la, going about my business. Just seeking revenge ... but I will still whistle in class and all that" ... UGH)

But it is very turns and twisty (Which for me made it impossible to read in monthlies when I first tried it ... and I couldn't take
the girl not being upset about her parents murder either
but in this form I am enjoying it more than I expected.

The art is both really good and then really harsh on the eyes at times. While pretty, certain angles cause this artist to struggle with perspective as people are sometimes ... often ... almost always ... out of proportion in some way. Very "High-school comic book" looking at times and then other times very nice to look at. It's just weird. It gets easier to ignore as you go however so that is good.

Again, if you are going to read this, reading it collected is the way to go. With all the twists and turns and lies and truths ... reading this monthly would drive a normal person sane.
 Wink

Still. once I got going I couldn't put it down. Thanks to many a potty break, I cruised through this volume.  Cheesy

Speaking of breaks ... I'm taking a break to get through some more Invincible volumes before tackling vol 2 of this, but I am excited to get there.

8 outta 10 - Spinning monoliths of curiosity
 Grin 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS