HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:16:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How you read comic books  (Read 5992 times)
andy546
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:01:50 AM »

Hello all, I just came across this interesting article online and was wondering how everyone here reads comics and thier different styles.

Heres is the link: http://bookshelf.diamondcomics.com/graphicnovelnotebook/?p=58
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 04:05:59 AM »

welcome to the realm andy546!

never broke down the way I read comics down to a science....

usually I quickly scan the layout of the panels to get a feel of the picture sequence and flow of the word dialog. Then as I begin, I read the word balloons and then check out the illustrations almost simultaneously while I digest and comprehend what I just read.  Depending on the artist, I might spend an extra minute or two looking at the artwork.  On the flipside, I might have to reread a page more than once if the writing is dense or confusing. 

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

Welcome, andy546, good question.

Sadly I have a sad answer as I'll just say "ditto" to what G:The Last Man said.
BatgirlLibrarian
HR Hero

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »

I read the words and look at the pics at the same time.  I usually read comics 3 or 4 times before I put them on the shelf.

Reading comics is much more of an active thing than reading a book.  Not sure why.  Gotta go catch my bus or I'd write more.
Ed209
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:02 AM »

Welcome, andy546, good question.

Sadly I have a sad answer as I'll just say "ditto" to what G:The Last Man said.

Sadly, I must say "ditto" to your "ditto" of what G said.
 Huh  Grin
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:46:27 AM »

I almost always read the page of the art first, when I come to it. Depending on the writer, the book, the sequence, what part "of 6" issue it is, words can (sadly) almost be unnecessary. I like to see if the artist can lay it out for me instead. It's so very cool to see what others pass over (fun thing, back in Pak's "incredible Hercules" title, sound effects were sounded out in what they did "BIGHIT" was one sound effect, also RIGHTINDAFACE; go back and look it over!).

Also, I usually read them twice in the first 3 days after, just so I can pause more with each panel to take in the writing and art. I'm all about the pretty pictures, baby.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS