HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:20:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hey, you, tell me what to review  (Read 9646 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »

That's right, I am going to try something. I want any of you Realmers to drop me a comic to review.

Your choice.

It can be one that you hated and you want my unbiased opinion, one you loved and you want my unbiased opinion or one you never read and you want my totally biased opinion.
 Grin

1) Please no Graphic Novels or any other massive sized book. I just don't have the time to read a huge book.

2) Nothing that has come out in the last 3 or 4 months. I am going to be spoiler heavy so I don't want to screw over anyone. Old comics are fine. This is an issue review, not a new release issue review.

3) Does NOT have to be just Marvel or DC, but If it is a very hard book to find, your chances of seeing my praise/rant are lessened substantially.

4) I reserve the right to add a number 5 and 6  Grin

So there ... Hit me.

EDIT - I will also change my avatar to whatever book I am reviewing (If I can find a pic and it is not an x-rated thing)  Wink

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:38:23 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »

great idea....i will definitely get back to you on this.

so many books I'd love to throw at you....maybe i should just send you all mine and have you read all my books for me, and i will take your opinions as my own.... Grin
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:43:31 PM by G:The Last Man » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »

great idea....i will definitely get back to you on this.

so many books I'd love to throw at you....maybe i should just send you all mine and have you read all my books for me, and i will take your opinions as my own.... Grin

Cheesy

If we didnt read so many of the same books, I would devise a plan to make that happen.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »

Got it.

I want to see you review this:

Titans Villains For Hire Special  #1

I'd love to hear what you think of this.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »

Oh boy, I think I'm scared. A Titans book, huh? Okay, I will try to get through it. Way to start me off, Jeff. Can't I just say it is crap now and save some time?

Wink

Oh, damn, that's right, I said unbiased didn't I.
 Smiley

You got it, buddy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »

That is actually a great issue to start your reviews. I would love to get your feedback on Invincible. I have been on the fence about picking it up. I love Dynamo 5 and Noble Causes, but have doubts about Invincible.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:06:33 PM »

Hey Rodney, I will gladly do an INVINCIBLE review for you, Hell it will be easy because I already own most of those so I won't have to track any down  Smiley, but do you want issue #1 or another issue?

I can tell you, if you like early Spider-Man books  (early like when Romita Sr. was the artist) or any teen angst or hero "learning the way" type books, the series starts out that way. If you like twists and turns, the series turns that way and if you just like good "old fashioned" hero books with a little more modern sensibility, you should really like this book.

I only read two Kirkman books.

1) WALKING DEAD - Best human drama book out there. Or at the very least, one of the top 3. This is a zombie book that is not about zombies. (Hope you at least catch the tv show that starts next week). Great book, but on the harder edge side. Graphic.

2) INVINCIBLE - Just a classic "super-hero" book. Teen problems are the base but it goes so much further than that. Not a sad, mopey type teen "I got problems" book, but a fun reactive teen book. How he deals with family issues (and boy he has some big family issues), deals with friends and deals with enemies. Good book and good character.

EDIT -
If you like Dynamo 5 (which I thought was pretty good) and NOBLE CAUSES (which I really had fun reading) You should enjoy INVINCIBLE even more. I am not knocking the other two, but Invincible is a better produced book. In my opinion.
 Smiley
I can certainly suggest getting the first trade of INVINCIBLE at your LCS and take some time to sit back and enjoy it.
Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:09:56 PM by Perry » Logged

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »

Now this is an awesome idea for a thread!  Totally on board!

1) Please no Graphic Novels or any other massive sized book. I just don't have the time to read a huge book.

Are smaller trades okay?  Like 4 to 6 issues long?

If so, here's a list.  By no means am I asking for all of them.  Pick what you intrests you, in any, and forget the rest.

GOLLY Volume 1: Catching Hell (5 issues)
Description:
What if they threw an Apocalypse and nobody came? The end times are upon us, but to be honest, Heaven and Hell have lost all enthusiasm for anything resembling a Final Judgment. Earth's guardian angel, in an act of cosmic negligence, selects Golly Munhollen, part-time race car driver, part-time carny, and full-time dumbass to become humanity's defender against the remaining elements of Hell still bent on starting some trouble come Judgment Day. By day Golly repairs rides on the midway, by night he stumbles ass-backwards into the weird menaces that seem to pop up in every town on the carnival's tour. Golly is aided in his quest by his carny pals: Vaughn, the 6'6" tattooed man; Pig, former freak show fat lady turned strong woman; Miguel, the genius, dog-faced boy-acrobat; and Satan, former monarch of Hell now down on his luck and working the midway for cigarette money. Catching Hell collects the first five issues of the critically acclaimed, groundbreaking Image series, and includes the tale of Golly's origin and his subsequent hapless encounters with a preacher-turned-werehog and a trailer park stalking vampire. It's southern-fried horror fat-packed with high-octane adventure and low-brow humor!

THE ANCHOR Vol 1: Five Furies & Vol 2 (4 issues each)
Description:
Freak of nature, beast of burden, hulking outcast, medieval prize fighter, Viking raider... God's own leg-breaker. One thousand years ago a hulking outcast sought refuge in the crumbling ruins of an ancient monastery and offered in return the one thing he had to give - his fists. Transformed into an immortal warrior monk standing at the gates of Hell itself to keep our world free from its invading armies, The Anchor is mysteriously tricked into centuries of slumber. But today, this holy warrior rises to battle all the unholy monsters unleashed during his slumber. Cataclysmic action, quirky humor, and profound pathos for fans of HELLBOY and THE GOON.

FIREBREATHER Vol 1 - 3 (4 issues each)

Any of THE DARKNESS by Hester (4 to 5 issues each)

I know, I know they're all Phil Hester written, but I think he's been doing the best comics in recent years.

Hmm, I know you're already reading THE SIXTH GUN.  So here's some short Oni trades I think you'd like:
POUNDED
HOPELESS SAVAGES
3 STRIKES

If you narrow it down to one book I'd go GOLLY.  Hands down.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »

Ummm, I'm just trying to keep this to single issues, buddy.

I am sure there are some good trades and collected works out there, but man, I just don't have the time to read them. I have a stack of comics (actually about a long box worth) of my own comics I still have to read.

Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »

I will check for the first Invincible trade when I hit me LCS on Wednesday.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »

Cool Rodney, I hope you enjoy the hell out of it.
 Cool

Jeff,
Got your book today and will try and read it tomorrow after another 14 hour shift ... in fact, I may wait until Thursday (Sorry for the delay, finishing up more work stuff, but it is a little more local this time and more importantly ...  almost over)

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »

Mr. Perry sir, I would like you to review...........MARINEMAN!
 Grin Grin Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »

Mr. Perry sir, I would like you to review...........MARINEMAN!
 Grin Grin Grin

Cheesy
Ha, nice.  Cheesy

Sorry sir, I will not add that book to my pull. I will gladly review it in 7 months however (once you guys tell me it is as good as it looks)
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS