HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:00:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 16975 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 25, 2010, 04:17:32 AM »

New issue #1 - new thread!

I know I'm alone in this but I just can't stand John Romita Jr's art.  I've never liked it and never understood why he's so popular.  I just don't get it.

But for Brian Michael Bendis, I thought I could get past it.  This issue -#1- was ok. Team setup was a little weak but I'm a sucker for time travel stories.  The perfect recipe to suck me in. EXCEPT - I can't get past the art.

I don't think I can do it. I'm saddened that the story may be great but I might soon be dropping b/c of the art.  With all of the great artist out right now how did we get stuck with Romita Jr on what should be Marvel's premeire title?

Heavy Sigh.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:55:56 AM »

I guess,

Someone behind the scenes likes him. Decent set up. I wanted some of the New Avenges atmosphere for this new group.

We will see.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »

I've got nothing against JRJr.  He's not my favorite, but I liked what he did back on ASM years ago.  I haven't seen any of his recent stuff, but I know exactly what you're saying about the importance of the art in general, Jeff.  Comics are a visual art.  It doesn't matter how good the story is if it looks like the artist scratched the pictures on the back of shovel or copied the faces out of a TV Guide.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:53:37 PM by Iceman » Logged

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:38:52 AM »

You are not alone in your dislike for JRJR's art it seems here!  Count me in as one of the "few" who also thinks his artwork is overrated.  Maybe in the 70s or 80s his might be considered superb, but compared to the artists who came before him that worked with Bendis on the New Avengers, JRJR's work looks quite elementary, and I mean that sincerely.  I group him in there with the likes of Frank Quitely as artists with such huge followings, but I don't see much to fawn over.  Just take a look at his Spider-Woman....and even his Steve Rogers for that matter!  How can you take them seriously?

Artwork aside, it was just an okay issue.  I like Bendis talky-talk, but like Spider-Man exhibited in this issue when Kang was blabbing about.....a person can lose track of the point of the conversation!  The storyline shows promise with the last page reveal, but the entire first issue felt sloppy and thrown together.  Assemble team and then Kang barges in all of a sudden with a Doomsday egg that Stark hasn't invented yet....and now you must travel to the future to stop your kids?  I guess it could happen.

There's only so much that you can expect a reader to believe! Wink 

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

....and now you must travel to the future to stop your kids?  I guess it could happen.

I kept waiting for Doc Brown and Marty McFly to show up.    Cool

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »

Bendis speak is ruining this book. Yeah, I said it. I've supported Bendis when deserved, but his f***ing overlapping, Gilmore Girls speak amongst grown men is the most irritating shit to read in any comic. My buddy (we share comic purchasing) is dropping this after the first issue simply due to Bendis.

I can't really argue. I'm on to try New Avengers, but if you don't like Bendis, then I guess you don't get a good, proper Avengers book.

Sure, there is Secret of Academy, but Bru's stories are as slow as molasses, don't pay off as much, and nothing about Academy looks appealing right now.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

Sure, there is Secret of Academy, but Bru's stories are as slow as molasses, don't pay off as much, and nothing about Academy looks appealing right now.

What about Secret Avengers?

Sith_Chimera
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »

For those that dislike JRJR's art, remember... "hot" artists nowadays are usually used to promote the launch of a book by name recognition.

With that in place, you can probably expect him to jump ship after about 6 issues or so, right? Just wait it out and he'll have to free up his schedule to stamp his name on another book that needs promotion.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 03:27:07 AM »

What about Secret Avengers?

Er....bad typing.  Meant "or" instead of "of" there.

Secret was a pretty decent first issue. I'm just worried about Bru's love of spy books slowing stuff down (I say this because his Cap stuff has really dragged in the last 2 arcs, I think...although, I did dig Two Americas, actually.....)

Okay,I jsut hate Sharon and Widow. So, that's out in the open. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

Love J.R. JR. Always have and always will. His structure is top notch in the industry and he works 'form' like a champ. That being said ... I am not a fan of his work on a team based book. Put him on Spidey and I'm there (until recently of course). Put him on Iron Man and I am all over it. Put him on any solo title and I will leap at the chance to read (see) his stuff, but put him on a book where all of those characters are together ... not so much.

It is almost like a reverse Ramos for me. I love Ramos' work on so very few things, but every now and then, on certain things, he just blows me away with his style. JR is like that to me, but on the flip side. I love his work on almost everything, but once in awhile ... not so much.

That may seem strange, but it is what it is.

As far as this issues writing ... eh. Like always, Bendis struggles with using established characters in a 'lets get this started' premiere. Not sure why that is. And I am a huge Bendis fan, but to me, almost every 1st issue he has written, using other than his own properties and where he is doing a refresh, he has struggled or the issue has at least left me feeling less enthused before going in. You would think I would get use to it by now. Bendis + 1st issue = "Eh"

Good news is however, Bendis rapidly regroups and comes on strong by issue 2 or 3, so I am not off this puppy yet.

SECRET AVENGERS really blew this title out of the water however.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

I too am a huge JRjr fan...since IronMan 114.  If you like the look of his characters or not, the guy is a master story teller, his sequential panels are top notch.  He is a premire artist not because he is the "hot" artist, but because he has proven his abiltiy time and time again over 30yrs.  he can produce a book a month without breaking a sweat and the detail of his work is certainly not "elementary".

As far as character desing...he is struggling with his 1st issue but given a few issues that will be taken care of.  In his 30+ yr career he has not had much association with many of these guys and it shows, particulaly w/ Steve Rogers...a little too thin for my liking, should be larger than life and more in tune with how Deodato is drawing him in "Secret".

As for being gone after 6 issues...really dout that is the case as his runs are usually much longer than most artist (except for his run on Black Panther but the whole story was a trainwreck and he had no desire to continue).  I would expect his run to be at least a yr (without a singel missed issue, take that "current" artists  Wink ). 

Other than that I think the book is off to a good start and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Secret Avengers did kick all sorts of a$$, my one complait being that Valk should be taller than Natasha

HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »

issue #2......I don't know what is ruining this book for me more...the unfocused storyline or JRJRs artwork.

Avengers kids are being naughty in the future?  Need a time machine, call on Marvel Boy.....okay, built one.....Wonder Man shows up and smashes it to pieces.....can you build another one Nor Varr?.....Wait, hold that thought....Apocalypse and the Horseman are here?!?!

This story is a mess.  Damn frustrating if you asked me.

I like Romita Jr. on certain books.  I enjoyed what JRJR did on ASM, Wolverine, Punisher War Zone, Kick Ass, among other recent titles.....but I'm still not convinced that he is working out for me here.  It just looks rushed in some places and that double pager at the end was just ugly.  Speaking of ugly, his Maria Hill needs a lot of work, and Spider-Woman can do without the 70s bouffant hairdo. 

Just not consistent enough for me panel to panel.  Some look polished while others look like little effort was made.

I'm not liking this book much at all right now, but I will still give it until the end of the first storyarc to magically improve.

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »

I see what you are saying.  I think an inker with a stronger line would do wonders for JRjrs art.  While i like him I think Klaus Jansen isn't doing his art any favors

Story-wise it is a bit all over the place but I will give it time to settle in.  I like that Marvel boy is involved and acting like a hero should
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »

Coming out in October

AVENGERS #6
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils & Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
The blockbuster Avengers book continues!! Kang versus Ultron with Avengers from every era right in the middle. The end of this issue is a shocker that sets up one of the biggest new threats to the Marvel Universe!! Plus: another chapter in the oral history of the Avengers!

HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »

That is an ugly cover.....JRJR is just phoning them in.  I can't find one good thing to compliment on this cover!. I don't know if I can blame the colorist or the inker here, because there isn't that much to work with here to make it pop!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS