HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:26:42 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Birds of Prey thread  (Read 26677 times)
CAPTAIN UNIVERSE
HR Sidekick

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »

is this out yet? i tried looking for it at my local comic store didnt see anything. only thing i saw was marvel divas.and what about the series ( the web)? looks interesting i wanted to read the first few but didn't see that one either.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »

Not yet. It comes out May 19th.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
CAPTAIN UNIVERSE
HR Sidekick

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »

Not yet. It comes out May 19th.
thanks jeff im gonna keep an eye out for that one.
DrVonFangirl
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »

I admit I groaned a little when the news hit that Simone is returning to the title, but the cover for #2 looks so freakin' sweet that I'm hard pressed to find an excuse not to pick it up when it hits stands. Fingers crossed. Here's hoping she writes a good Oswald.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »

Issue #1 came out this week.

Anyone read it yet??  Is it classic BoP greatness or in trouble right out of the gate??

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 02:04:52 PM »

Undecided

Yeah, I read it and am now saddened.

My memories of this title (with Simone and Benes) was so fond and I enjoyed it so much, that I was really looking forward to this title being on my pull for a good long time, but now I feel my fondness is crushed.

While this was not a bad comic, it was not a good one either. I can deal with heroines having emotions, of course I can, but the over the top 'girly' interaction with Huntress ... ugghh. I know, I know ... she IS a girl. Her emotions SHOULD be girly. Yeah, I get that, and I know I am going to get blasted for being chauvinistic or bordering on misogyny, but that was nothing but an 'eye roll' moment for me and damaged the character in my eyes.

I am not saying I am right in feeling that way, but I have to be honest, that is what I felt.

Perhaps it was JUST that moment, but the entire book felt ... girly to me. Again, I like Gail's writing. I LOVED her BoP, but this time ... not so much.

I have issue #2 pre-ordered, but I have just canceled issue #3.  Sorry, Gail.
 Sad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »

In all fairness didn't you also just post that Bendis rarely has a good #1 but if you stick with it he pulls it together by isuue 2 or 3?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »

Absolutely. Because I know Bendis does start crappy on Marvel books. His books almost always start that way for me (as I said in that thread). I know he will turn it around, as he has always done in the past. Gail usually pops me in the mouth, gets me right out of the gate and this issue was ... let's just say far from having that effect.

Hell, even her "WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY" book started better than this. I was on that title for about 5 issues before I had to give it up ... and that was not Gail's writing that was at fault ... or the reasoning behind me dropping it.

Hey, I got issue 2 of BoP coming, and I may add BoP back on my pull, but this was a pretty weak start for Gail Simone. And I mean that. And it goes beyond what I feel is a "blubbering heroine". This was just not one of her best outings.

Sorry.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »

Just playing devils advocate. I actually was a little disappointed in it as well but am willing to hang for the first arc.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 01:56:50 AM »

Yeah, its a shame. Sometimes you just can't go home again.
 Undecided

Hope it does turn around, however.

And sorry if my post seemed angry. I did not write it that way, but it damn sure reads that way the second time through. Damn lack of inflection.
 Angry

Cheesy

See what happens when you don't use the smileys?  Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »

Well just read issue #2 of this ... the only thing I can say is I am not regretting dropping this title.

Sad.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

Really?  I just read #2 as well and I liked it. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »

Damn, I wish I did. Only thing I liked was the killing of Savant ... which I really hated ... which made me like it, because I hated it.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »

Yeah I liked that too. I think the girl in white is going to wind up being Sin which should send Canary into a tailspin. 

Is it in character for Savants friend to do what he did?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »

Yeah I liked that too. I think the girl in white is going to wind up being Sin which should send Canary into a tailspin. 

Oh there is no question that is who it is. One thing I didn't like with issue 1. I thought it was kinda too obvious to do it so soon after returning to the title. But then again ... we could be wrong.

Is it in character for Savants friend to do what he did?

Absolutely out of character for Creote but within character. He was in love with Savant so I get it ... kinda, but I can't buy him doing it in front of Barbara. He would mourn and die with his love in seclusion. He would follow Savant anywhere, so again, I get why he did it, but I just can't buy him doing in that manner.

Also, if he really felt Barbara was the cause of Savants death, he would have killed her before killing himself.

That's how I see the character anyway, but Gail sees it differently.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS