HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:02:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Birds of Prey thread  (Read 26676 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 13, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »

HOT DAMN!!!

DC Entertainment's announcements of the DCU 2010 landscape continue on today courtesy of DCU Blog The Source, with news of the return of a book, team, and creative team. Birds of Prey, canceled in the reshuffling of the Batman family of comics in Spring 2009, is returning Spring 2010.

Gail Simone is at the helm as writer, returning to the book that is largely responsible for her success at DC. Her original artist for the series, Ed Benes, is also returning to the series. It will relaunch with a new number 1. Familiar members Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress, and Lady Blackhawk will be joined by at least two other members, currently blacked out on the cover art released with the announcement.

In the first interview on the project, with our friends at Comics Alliance, Simone expresses her excitement to return to the series and characters, and says "I don't plan to let go this time," explaining her desire to be on the book for the long haul.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:11:25 PM by Gay Titan » Logged
Brindrod
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »

Gotta love the old DC strategy of canceling books only to bring them back  Cheesy

It gets canned again by issue  #18. 
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

I think DC will give Gail more than 18 issues, but yeah, DC is doing the same marketing strategy again, trying to pull in readers .......... Worked.

I will jump back on this title with the new series.

I know Brian is not a fan, but I do enjoy me some Benes art and Gail can write the boobs off Barbara Gordon. Yep ... I be there.

I am thinking the "new members" will be Hawk and Dove. Certainly looks like the outline of Dove and hell, why not Hawk? He is a 'bird of prey'.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »

It will last for a good stretch....Birds of Prey was on of those books that has a small, but consistent and strong following.

Having said that, you can count me out.

Benes sure can draw cheesecake, but having tried on several occasions.....I don't see the draw with Simone's writing.   Roll Eyes

Not interested in the slightest.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:24:02 AM »

Gail's best writing was on this series.  I'll try out the first arc.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:28 AM »

On sale May 19th.

Written by GAIL SIMONE • Art and cover by ED BENES • 1:25 Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG

Soaring out of BRIGHTEST DAY, the Birds are back in town! Because you demanded it, fan-favorites Gail Simone (WONDER WOMAN, SECRET SIX) and Ed Benes (JUSTICE LEAGUE, GREEN LANTERN) reunite to reinvent the book where they made their explosive debut as a team. Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress and Lady Blackhawk all return to Gotham City where they belong – and they’ve brought a couple of new friends (or are they foes?) along with them!

Guest-starring a major Bat-villain and the first appearance of the most dangerous, most twisted new Birds villain ever!
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 01:27:59 AM »

The current Hawk is actually a "she", not a he. It's Dove's sister.

The silhouette, though, is too broad to be her. I was thinking maybe Lil Barda or Stompa from the New Gods.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:05:54 AM »

Ahhh. My all powerful DC knowledge shines through.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »

Birds of Prey #2
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »

Ahhh. My all powerful DC knowledge shines through.
 Grin

Finally revealed!!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »

Ah-Ha. So my lack of DC knowledge actually prevailed in this instance.
 Grin

(Love it by the way. They needed a shot of testosterone in that sea of estrogen  Grin)

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »

In the previous series, the male role was filled by Savant. I am excited that (1)Hawk/Hank Hall is alive and (2) he and Dawn will be working together (as a duo and on a team).
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »

I'm prett jazzed about this series and even though I would have preferred Batwoman and the Question, Hawk and Dove will be played well in Gail's hands.

Good thing I went digital with Marvel - now I have more room for DC!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »

I hope we see the Birds take on Kestrel (either gender).
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »

In the previous series, the male role was filled by Savant.

Yeah, but he didn't show up until later ... when it got really good  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS