HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:41:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THOR Thread "Have at thee"  (Read 12394 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 19, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »

Thor 604

I am certainly gonna miss my man JMS on this title. Let's face it, he brought Thor back to greatness, That being said, Gillen does a decent job in his first effort with the Norse God. Of course, holding the reigns until Fraction takes over, will be a test, but so far so good.

Only complaint I have is the Funeral pyre scene. How (spoiler ahead) ... How could Bill be on that pyre, wehn he was pyred on the boat in the last JMS issue? Maybe it wasn't him, as it looked nothing like him, but they (the Asgardians) kept refering to his death while the fire was being lit and burning?

Was that a screw up, or did I miss (or forget  Grin) who that really was?

Oh and Doom using the Destroyer armor? Was that what that was? That arm looked alot like the Destroyer armor. And pulling the heart out of Kelda? Wow.

Can't wait for the Doom Vs Thor issue next month.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Brindrod
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »

Is Coipel still handling the art duty?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »

Sadly, no.

We have the "out of perspective" Tan on art now. Not horrible, but some of his angles are just ... like ... WTF??

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »

THOR #605

Oh yeah, it was most certainly the Destroyer armor.  Grin

Really starting to like this writer, Kieron Gillen. Knows how Doom should sound, I'll give him that., and is pretty good with the Asgardians over all as well (although I think he made a big error letting Kendra's body hit the ground, as I think Balder, if not Thor, would have rushed to catch her  Undecided). Be interested to see what projects he has coming up next. May have to try and follow him for a title or two.

Tan's art is well ... Tan's art. A little better than last issue, not as many perspective problems, so an improvement.

Next issue is the doozy one though. Doom, in the Destroyer armor Vs. Thor !!!!

HAVE AT THEE !!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:26 AM »

I finished the Thor vol 3 HC.

I have to say - this title has won me over.  I didn't think I cared much for the Asgardian tales but this was a fun book.  Interesting twist having them go to Latveria.  I'm looking forward to the next volume.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »

still got to pick up vol 2 and 3 myself.  I never cared much about Thor, but JMS and Coipel made me believers.  Too bad JMS is no longer on board...how has the book fared since then Perry?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »

how has the book fared since then Perry?

Actually, other than two issues of Pham art, not bad. I have liked this new writer pretty much since he took over, but look forward to his own Thor stuff soon (compared to being holed into Siege). Don't get me wrong, he is no JMS, but a lot better than I was hoping for ... of course, I believe Fraction maybe coming soon and if he can match what he did on the 3 or 4 Thor one-shots, I am going to be changing pants. Those were awesome.  Of course, if he does an X-Men type of writing ...
 Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:51:25 PM »

THOR #610

Wow, hoping you guys are caught up on your THOR because this writer, Gillem, is soon to be the next Marvel "Young Gun". He is killin it with this book. I know Fraction is soon to take over the writing duties, and I hope he maintains the level he brought with the Thor one-shots he wrote, but I know for certain that whatever Gillem writes next, I am buying it.

Now true, the art in this issue was AMAZING. 'Be-A-utiful' even, and that may have helped the over all feel of this issue, but still, I think Marvel has a winner in Gillem.

The way he worked Balders feelings and emotion was perfection. The Warriors Three persona is also capture perfectly.

An over-all wrap up issue, but still gets high grades from me ... plus ...

SPOILER AHEAD ... DUH

Bill will soon be returning !!!
 Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

You guys have to check out the preview for THOR 611 ...

HERE (Newsarama)

Kieron Gillen and Richard Elson are just rockin' this book. I know I am a Thor fan, but I'm tellin ya, Gillen is pretty damn good.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »

Coming out in October:

THOR #616
Written by MATT FRACTION
Pencils & Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
Vampire Variant by RYAN STEGMAN
What kind of hell is coming for Asgard? What does Asgard’s presence on earth mean? Only one man knows for sure and he can’t get anyone to take him seriously. The reconstruction of his fallen city are first and foremost in the God of Thunder’s mind as an evil more terrifying than even he could imagine comes roaring down the World Tree. The Dark Gods are coming for Asgard. Here is blood! Here is thunder! HERE IS THE MIGHTY THOR!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 02:17:15 AM »

Well, I think I am off of Thor foe now.
Oh sure, now would be a bad time for me, someone that loves Thor, to leave because in three more months the New THOR series starts and the current THOR series gets renamed back to its original Journey into Mystery, but Fraction has pissed me off.

In the last issue he shows my man Volstag say something that's kinda out of character, but Balders response to it ... his reply ... is even more out of character.

Fraction BLEW ME AWAY with his Thor minis/One shots he did and his Thor started out pretty damn good, but here lately he is trying too hard to be too funny using characters in a wrong way to accomplish it. He still has Thor's voice, but his fellow Asgardians are changing too much for me.

Of course ...
That Journey into Mystery may find a way into my stack after all as the writer there did a fantastic job on Thor before Fraction arrived ... but then again, Gillens X book didn't "wow" me either ...

HHHmmmm, Feel as though I am stuck between a Uru hammer and a hard place.
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:42 AM »

Also dropped it. I hoped to have fallen in love with Fraction's work here, but lately he's just killing me-just killing me!

Dropped Iron Man ( I could stand no more boredom ) and now this. Considering I was just able to get Simonson's last volume of Thor Visionaries, well, this stuff really, REALLY became pale next to it. Too bad.

Bye bye!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »

Kinda wondering why you found IM boring. I can understand you dropping it, as it has gone almost all techno babble now, but wondering if that was what it was you found boring.

What I find sad is, very few 13 to 15 year olds are going to enjoy this book. That saddens me because when I was 13 years old, I loved me some Iron Man. This ... this is just going too heavy in tech. I know that seems like an odd bitch considering the lead character is a tech wizard, his powers are tech based and his villains are mostly as well, but I find it too tech ... almost. But then again ... maybe that is a sign of the times and I am an old "fuddy-duddy" and a normal 13 or 15 year old would feel right at home
 Cheesy

Hope I am not selling IM short because I still do enjoy it, though not as much as the last 2 or 3 arcs

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:27 AM »

Thread derail!!

As for Iron Man, it just got boring. There wasn't any Iron Man per se.

The story I told a friend was this:

I remember an issue where IM was fighting Joe Fixit, and it happened to be during some expo, and Miss Arboghast was there with children, and they watched in fear as IM went down under a punch from Fixit. "Is Iron Man okay?" "Never worry, there is a reason why they call him the Invincible Iron Man!"

Why? Kurt Busiek said it good as well; "As polished and sauve as Tony Stark is, when he puts on the suitk he is a man inside a tank. And that's how he operates."

I miss that! What was the final issue against Detroit Steel in the last arc? Tony driving his car, evading Steel and a million drones while techies shut down the cell phone towers. What sh!t. I understand the drive that is Tony's life, and I love the change he forces and throws into people's faces.

But I'll be a neanderthall and say I want IM to beat the crap outta something. Otherwise, I'll just read a MIchael Crichton book and most likely be bored by that too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

Well in all fairness ... Oh, and SPOILERS BELOW in this derailed thread  ...
 Grin

... the car was a major aspect of the plot and he only "ran away" to get DS away from Pepper. It isn't like he didn't fight.  Cheesy

Of course, I sit now and defend a book I was kinda down on, for a totally different reason, and you have made me want to like it more ...  Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS