HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:26:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man Thread  (Read 53679 times)
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »

They DO insinuate he doesn't agree with it. In fact, afterwards he comments that he was almost ready to stop Sable.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »

Well they do show ole Sandy getting blasted. His face at least.
Just have a problem with Pete even considering torture. But hey, I am an old fart.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:40 AM »

Think about this: as long as the acid doesn't touch that core grain, does Sandman feel pain? It was more scare tactics than torture, imo.

- Hitgirl
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

Good thought process, but think about this; when was the last time Pete used terror as a weapon?  Wink

Been reading ole Spidey for awhile, first time I can recall seeing it. Just seems to out of character for me. But then again, he had to don a new suit to battle these foes he has defeated countless times as well, so ...
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

That's a good point. I can't think of a time Peter's done that either (except in the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series). But they were in dire circumstances. Desperate times. Desperate measures.

- Hitgirl
jordan6
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 05:43:11 AM »

My thought exactly!  Not the Peter Parker we know....
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

Anyone reading the current Lizard & Morbius storyarc? Surprisingly good for what I thought was gonna just be a filler story to be "in-tune" with the movie release. The artwork looks good, the fight scenes are done well, and seeing everything from The Lizard's point-of-view has been pretty interesting.

Thoughts?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:04 AM »

I'm picking this up in TPB so I'm waaay behind.  I'm looking forward to getting to this Lizard story though.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

Thoughts?

I am officially off ASM ... for the 5th time.

Slott just can't keep me on as a reader. He pulls me in and then in about a month or so, I start seeing the flaws in his pacing and/or structure and I just start pulling my hair out. I like his ideas, most of the time (voice activated web-shooter aside  Roll Eyes), but I just keep finding the little things irritate me more than not. I just don't enjoy Spider-Man.

A lot of this, I am sure, stems from the fact that I have been a reader of Spider-Man since before most of you were born, and that leads to a lot of 'this has been done' or 'why would he do this?'. You know, Peter has only defeated the sinister six a half-billion times and now he needs spider-armor?

I know it is just a way to try ... ahen ... TRY to keep 50 year old characters 'fresh', but ... eh

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »

Of course, as soon as Jeff thinks about coming on, I think about jumping ship.

Just same thing as always, Dan Slott amazes me and then a few issues later writes an issue that just leaves me scratching my head. Nothing really wrong with the issue that deserves my "jumping ship" declaration, it just didn't hit, wasn't worth the price for me and that has me bummed. Not knocking Slott as much as this will sound, but the book seemed almost juvenile. I mean, again, not slamming him, but I felt like I was reading a comic from 1974 ... and not in the good classic feel way.

Everything was almost like Slott was holding our hands through the issue. "Here, come this way". Now I don't mind when writers lead us, but when the feeling is they are talking down to us, leading us because we are not to be trusted to follow beside him instead of behind him, that is where I have the problem. NOT that that is what Slott tried, but it is just what I felt when reading the issue. It really feel that all the people that gave him shit over his Superior SpiderMan really got into his head and he is trying to slow it down a tad for the people that struggle with reading a freaking Spider-Man comic.
 Undecided

Plus, like always, the inclusion of Marvel's damn Event of the month into a story that doesn't need it just drives the story away from the path it should travel. Maybe that is why Slott felt like he had to watch out for us?

Anyway, it wasn't a terrible issue, but still felt like I needed a little more discount from DCBS to make this worth the price. Still, just an average comic I suppose.

5 outta 10 - over explanations of characters skill levels, arriving too soon and too fast
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »

Perry, I feel like you just echoed thoughts I've always posted about, concerning Slott's Spider-man writing. I've even tried finding them here, but I got bored of looking. Perhaps I just needed a better search string. Grin

I am not surprised whatsoever that his issues are like, well, how I always seen them.

I got back onboard with ASM 684 or so, kept it up all the way through Superior, but seeing Ramos drawing a $7.99 first issue price tag? And I just started Marvel Unlimited? I walked. Hell, I sold all that ASM and Superior for an awesome chunk of change, too!

I'll enjoy reading it online, but this Spider-man is not one I wish to heavily put my dollar towards at all.

Be warned on ORiginal Sin tie-ins! There are 2 coming through on Thor before issue 25 hits! Skip them, unless you are all in on Sin!

Wow, that rhymed. I must be like one of those scholars and is unaware of it.**

**yes, a play on a poet and didn't even know it. Man, I think myself so clever at 9 am. HA!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »

Be warned on ORiginal Sin tie-ins! There are 2 coming through on Thor ...

Yeah, so far the ONLY writer that has been able to incorporate the "Sin" tie-in to the books they are writing is Robinson on INVADERS. Real good use of it there. While his FF tie-in is also not bad, it still feels like an interruption of planned events. His INVADERS however really fit in well with the "Sin" idea.

Why didn't the Invaders stop the bombs that killed millions at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII?

Good use of event I think

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS