HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:22:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man Thread  (Read 53678 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »

got to love the Spider-Mayor.  while the story isn't perfect and the big bad reveal may be lost by many as her 1st appearance is a bit obscure, has been buried and never mentioned since it happened...i still find this book extremely entertaining and most of all FUN.  Even when PP is miserable he still seems to be having some fun.

PS:  LOVE Flash as Venom.  The conflict is similar to when Pete had the symbiot but different enough due to Flash's current situation and awareness of what the symbiot is.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »

It is rare that I give a writer a second shot at gaining a place on my pull list. It is extremely rare that I give a them a third. The chance of me giving a writer a fourth shot can easily be classified as miniscule to non-existent. Hello, Dan Slott.

I tried Slott's SHE-HULK, which at the time was being lauded as a great piece of work, and while I found it humorous, I also found it very forgettable. It also had very bad pacing issues.

I tried Slott's AVENGERS: INITIATIVE. And while I had no choice but to try it because it had the word "Avengers" in the title, I walked away wishing it did not. Timing and pacing still bothered me.

I tried Slott's AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Loved ... most of it. I thought he brought back the "Spidey fun" to this title that had certainly been missing for a time. Unfortunately, the pacing and panel progression was still very bothersome to me. Very, very bothersome.

I few days ago, while walking around the LCS looking for something ... ANYTHING to read (because ya know, I don't have enough already  Roll Eyes) I saw this comic that had a cover that just hit me. This cover slammed into my brain like covers of old. This cover did not have the CRAP cover of hero poses (the norm for Marvel it seems), it did not have an image that had nothing to do with the story and this cover had no banner joining it to any damn event, mini event or cross-over event.

This was a cover of the late '70's ... missing only the text "Spidey attempts to hold back time! Will he fail?" or some other cool as hell, yet totally lame ass description. This cover .....

... this cover (ASM #679) had me mind racing back to the 'good ole days' of when I collected as a kid. When covers made sense and showed you a small piece of what you could expect inside the pages of said comic. This cover brought me over to the rack.

I then saw who was writing this book ... still. It almost made me walk away. In fact, I picked it up, put it down, picked it up and repeated this cycle for a few minutes. The owner of the shop finally walked over, smiling, and asked what was going through my mind. I told him my thoughts on Slott and my hatred of paying $4 for a freaking comic. He said he would throw me the 15% price reserved for pull list shoppers if I decided to buy it. That was like a bolt from the heavens as I gave in at once and walked to the counter.

An hour later, I was at that same shop buying the issue prior to this. I was HOOKED.

Slott, after all these years, has finally found great pacing, great panel progressions and great comic flow. This two part story is certainly some of the best Spider-Man I have read in years. So much so, that I have added ASM back on my pull, back-ordered issues 680, 681 and 682 but also just ordered of Ebay 674,675, 676 and 677 (The DD crossover that I wasn't going to buy)

This is what comics should be. This two issue arc gets a very high Perry Recommends

Hello, Dan Slott.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »

If there was a like button on here, I'd like your post, Perry. ASM wasn't at its best for a long time. But it's recently become the best comic on the racks again.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »

Irony of Ironies.

I was picking this up in trade but had stopped after Election Day which ended collecting issue #588.  Over the weekend I had toyed with the idea of picking back up since a lot of TPB's had been released.  I even added "24/7" and "American Son" to my cart but haven't checked out yet.

Of course I still haven't got to the latest Fable TPB which is still sitting in my pile and only now got to the Nightly News TPB that was in my stack.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wg2100s
HR Sidekick

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:52 PM »

Funny thing,Perry,I was doing the same thing you were doing on Comixology,deciding to buy Spiderman or not.I heard a lotta good in fact excellent reviews on it.But the 4.00 price tag gives me pause,but your review swayed me.I will give it a try and see.Much thanks.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »

Of course, my man. But again, I can only vouch for those two issues I have read.  Wink (Although I am really excited about seeing Peter and Johnny in space ... oh, sorry ... I mean INnnn SPAAAaaaace ...  Cheesy  with the next arc)

EDIT - And I don't want anyone thinking this was an action packed ark, it wasn't. It was a well told story. Something I have never felt I got from Slott and thus my enjoyment. Fun, but not Spidey vs secret six type fun.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:08:15 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

Oh Jeez ... did I get pulled into the terrible Slott again?

Just got my back issues of ASM I ordered (674, 675, 676 and 677) and I might ... just maybe regretting it.

I had a little problem with the way Slott treating a conversation between two cops in issue 674 (well the chief of police and the CSI agent), but I overlooked it as a personal issue on my part, but now I am reading 675 and on the first page I run into another 'Slott'astic' panel.

Spidey, with  his ex-gal pal (the CSI agent, Carly) draped across his back, is crawling up a wall to sneak into an exhaust vent. She asks: "What if someone looks up and sees us?" and his response (after a funny quip) was ... ahem ... was: "Don't worry, my spider-sense would warn us ahead of time"

Since when does spider-sense warn Pete that someone has just seen him? Or better still, warn him AHEAD OF TIME? Honestly, is this a thing? I have been out of Spider-Man for awhile and god knows my memory is shit, so perhaps it was always this way, but I have a hard time with this.
 "My spider-sense is telling me someone has spotted me! No, it is telling me that someone WILL spot me"
Has Pete's danger system gotten so advanced that it goes off under others visual recognition of him or even the idea of spotting him?

Now true, they were sneaking into a police station, so I can see where an officer may spot him and say "HEY. WHAT THE F ..." and the reaction of the cop AFTER seeing him may cause the Spidey Sense to kick in ... ya know, after a gun was drawn or something. But to go off just because someone spots you ... or before someone spots you?

This is why I have a problem with Slott.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »

I guess I should have waited on ordering those three TPB's!  Undecided

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:37 AM »

Its been pretty much established that Pete uses his sense to determine if someone sees him changing or sneaking into his apartment.  given the situation id think sneaking into a police station would qualify as well.  

Sorry to hear your regretting the purchases.  i still feel the book is enjoyable and slott adds a nice quirkiness to pete.  looking forward to the return of the Sinister6 and Docs newest plan.  They have really done a nice job making DrOct a badass...its a nice change from the 80s Oct when he was afraid of the spider after he had his arms ripped off.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:38:40 AM by Wringer » Logged
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 03:26:26 AM »

Its been pretty much established that Pete uses his sense to determine if someone sees him changing or sneaking into his apartment.

Okay, I recant ...partly ... but warn him ahead of time? BEFORE anyone sees him? Comeonman.  Cheesy

And the part where the guy ... ahem ... grown man gets jealous of a kid looking at his woman? Really? I mean, I guess there are men out there like that, but this guy didn't seem like that type at all.

Not regretting, yet, but certainly reminded of why I am not a fan of Slott as a writer.
Reading issue 676 now, Ramos is back (Yay)

Branden
HR Vigilante

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »

Okay, guys, what did you guys think of how Ends of the Earth started? I thought it was a good start and I like Doc Ock's plan.

I also loved how Spider-man finally got to say "Avengers Assemble" at the end. Do you guys think the Avengers will, in fact, assemble or do you think they will blow him off and he'll have to take care of it himself? I think either may happen but I guess I'm slightly leaning towards the latter.

AVENGERS FUCKING ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!

- Hitgirl
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »

I like that Ock is going on a larger scale, and that Slott used the "all the heroes are off world" excuse that was so widely used in the 80's.
 Grin

And oh yeah, ASSEMBLE they shall !!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

F-CK Amazing Spider-Man.

Waterboarding. New costume for no reason. Bah.

Done.
Time to start opening up the bronze age Marvel again.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »

Waterboarding?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »

Waterboarding?

Yes, Peter waterboards (with acid) Sandman to get information. Ya know, because that is exactly what Pete would do. Torture is his thing
 Angry

Okay, HE doesn't actually do it, but he allows it

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS