HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:31:48 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man Thread  (Read 53685 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 06:24:29 PM »

Really good story, that really everyone should check out!

Cool. Figure I only have a little more time left on my self imposed Spidey lock-out so at least something to look forward to ... perhaps ... though I may still just stick with Avengers Spidey.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »

Read the first issue of Grim Hunt, and things are in full swing with the Kravens hunting the Spiders! Arachne, Kaine, Spidey, etc.....

Ezekiel makes his return to warn them that the Spider tribes are in great danger!

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

Just read part3 of OMIT...liking it so far, no resolution to the Mephisto thing but I like where this is going.  They did reveal what MJ said to him in part1 but I dont want to go into detail here as I dont know if other are reading or behind and don't want to spoil anything.

any opinions out there on this storyline so far?
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »

Well "OMIT" is over and "Origin of the Species" has begun.

Is anyone still reading AMS?

Is this thing on...(tap, tap, tap)

hello?
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:01:38 PM »

Well "OMIT" is over and "Origin of the Species" has begun.

Is anyone still reading AMS?

Is this thing on...(tap, tap, tap)

hello?

zzzzzzzz.....huh? wha? 

I'm still alive and reading "ASM" if that's what you mean Wringer! Wink  Sorry for the snark!

I just read the first two parts of OMIT (I just realized now that One Moment In Time spells out the work "omit")....and liking the concept so far....I would like to see more closure to the whole OMD/BND stuff hopefully!  Hope to get caught up this weekend on this book, as it is one of the few books I have time to keep current on lately!

HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »

I'm a little confused as to why the "one moment in time" storyline had to take place in the first place....a depressing little arc that just adds credibility to the "one more day/brand new day" mess I suppose!   

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

ASM #648
-------------

BIG TIME.

Sure, looks like anyone wanting to (thinking about) getting back on Spidey, this is the best book to do it. Not a total refresh, but certainly a 'okay, lets regroup'.

Love the new job, love the brief 'here is everyone you really need to know' and Ramos is good on this title, but I didn't like the fart reference, as I find that being below Jessica to say and that put a blemish on an otherwise good read.

Good 'start' for the new writer, who has a lot to do to make me like his work ... never been a fan, but I am trying.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #651

I figured what it is I don't like about Slott's writing ... It is his pacing. Panels sometimes just jump from proper time flow to 5 minutes ahead for no reason. I know that the artist has some thing to do with how how a story flows, but when you tell an artist what you are wanting in a panel and he draws it, it falls on you.

It has been a couple days since I read this issue, so I am not sure, exactly, what panels bothered me (and I am too lazy to go look now  Grin), but I do know it was a drastic "jump in time" that was not suppose to be shown as such.

This was not it, but picture Peter, in his Spidey outfit, having a conversation with someone, for a couple of panels and then, during the same conversation, he suddenly is in street clothes and hanging up his suit. Again, this is not what happened, but just trying to show you how the flow (or lack of) jumped out at me.

Slott's dialog is still pretty damn good, however, and I am enjoying what I am reading ... other than the time jumps ... and I have to say, Spidey is fun to read again.

(That is not an acceptance of past events)
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »

Well as nice as Slott's dialog was and as 'fun" as he is making Spidey ... Yep ... I think I am off the title.

I ... I just don't feel the 'wow, this is good" feeling I have when I read a book by Brubaker or Bendis and I certainly, deep down, keep thinking "this is not Spidey" everytime I open the book (another hit to the Mephisto dead horse).

Honestly, if I wasn't trying to get down to under 20 books a month I would hang in, because it isn't "bad" and it does feel fun, but .... why not save $5 a month and put it towards something else?

Of course I say this without seeing this months Previews ... that may change everything.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 10:21:18 PM »

Just added Amazing back into my pull.

Yes, I know ...

*sigh*

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 04:45:31 AM »

uhh......why?!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »

uhh......why?!
I know people hate the term ; "it is fun", but honestly, as ambiguous as that statement is, it is exactly how I feel. Even after I get pissed about Slott's timing problems, I sit back and think how fun the book actually was reading, and realize if it wasn't for that timing issue, this would be a great book.

I was able to pull it from my ... err ... pull ... after reading last months issues (even though I enjoyed them both, mostly), but I couldn't do it this month.

I like Pete's new job
I like that Aunt May is married (insert "...until Mephisto"... joke here)
I like the humor in the book
I like the art. Yes even Ramos was kicking it the last few issues and Caselli is great
I like the villains
I like Spidey

I have tried using the excuse ; "This is not my Spidey", because everyone knows I am still pissed about Me'fist'o, but at the end of the day, I miss reading Amazing and, just like Tool sings about grudges and the weight the carry -

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and
Transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and
Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.

Smiley

HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »

uhh......why?!
I know people hate the term ; "it is fun", but honestly, as ambiguous as that statement is, it is exactly how I feel. Even after I get pissed about Slott's timing problems, I sit back and think how fun the book actually was reading, and realize if it wasn't for that timing issue, this would be a great book.

I was able to pull it from my ... err ... pull ... after reading last months issues (even though I enjoyed them both, mostly), but I couldn't do it this month.

I like Pete's new job
I like that Aunt May is married (insert "...until Mephisto"... joke here)
I like the humor in the book
I like the art. Yes even Ramos was kicking it the last few issues and Caselli is great
I like the villains
I like Spidey

I have tried using the excuse ; "This is not my Spidey", because everyone knows I am still pissed about Me'fist'o, but at the end of the day, I miss reading Amazing and, just like Tool sings about grudges and the weight the carry -

Give away the stone. Let the oceans take and
Transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone. Let the waters kiss and
Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.

Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

I don't keep hashing the Mephisto thing any more; it gets to be silly. It still burns, as it's so DAMNED DUM-

*ahem*

Please, pardon my outburst.

Actually, a friend bought the first 2 issues of Big Time, and I read them. My immediate take?

It's like its trying to ape the feel of the 80's stories to me. Peter as a high flyin', loving life as a single webhead, knocking guys down, and experiencing that "ol'Parker luck."

But it seems weak. It seems like a story that would be better suited for a Marvel Adventures cartoon/comic. It's entirely safe, it's not challenging as a story, and it really lacks dramatic meat. Am I judging too much over 2 issues? Well, they are bigger sized issues at 30 pages, so I've almost read 2 and a 1/2 issues then!

So I ask, does that make sense? I don't like Spider-man comics anymore because he's so homogenized. In a sense, he's a Garfield cartoon strip. Jim Davis (Garfield creator) said he started out and worked to make Garfield a placid kind of humor that would insult none, challenge nobody, never offend, but never rock the boat either. It's so white bread. Spider-man is such the company logo, and after that pathetic Mephisto story of Quesada's, they don't want to do anything anywhere to upset the precarious applecart that is a Spider-man comic. I just find it lacking in all things I think of Spider-man to be.

Because, quite honestly, I said for the longest time that I wanted Slott on ASM, and now that it's here, I want nothing to do with it. Sad for me, I guess.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

Ummm, Jimmy, when was Spidey ... or Peter, ever pushing the envelope in storytelling? He has always been a "safe" character.

Challenging in story line has never been my idea of Spider-Man ... EVER. Nor has it been yours, come on, tell the truth.
  Grin

You liked Spidey for his swashbuckling action, his quick retort to villains and the fact the he is ... a nice guy. If you are not seeing that here, then the answer to your question is "No, it does not make sense"

Huh

I still say you are pissy about the ... thing we shall not name ...  Cheesy ... and trying your damnest to not like Amazing JUST for that reason. But hey, that is fine.  Smiley

Regardless, your lack of enjoyment has nothing to do with my ...somewhat enjoyment  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS