HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:11:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-Man Thread  (Read 53686 times)
troyfreund
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »

#600, only half-ways through it, but wowza, what an issue.  Nothing stellar, just real. good. comics.  Slott knows his way around the character and JrJr is really one of the best artists in the biz.
rasputin
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »

I...

I..........

I................

...................almost bought this.
 Shocked Shocked
Almost.

Herr Mike
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »

Classic. Maybe my favorite anniversary issue of all time. By the last page of the main story I was grinning like an idiot.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »

I really enjoyed this as well...all the back-ups were great (unlike Hulk 600 which was total junk).

I loved Petes request to his new brother-in-law at the end...that was just perfect..."now that we're related, can I borrow 50 bucks"...priceless.

I loved JJ minor attempts to derail the cerimony...just plain fun.  This is exactly why I've been enjoying BND...its just fun and as stated above the final scene was great...kind of saw it comming but I was sure it wasn't going to be Harry.  Were was Petes new nephew...Jonahs son John  Grin ...he should have been there too.

Very good anniversay issue and well worth the $6 cover price
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »

So - I just signed up for Marvel Digital comics and decided to pick up on Amazing Spider-Man where I left off. 

Thus I just finished reading Amazing Spider-Man #574

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM Pencils & Cover by BARRY KITSON WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FLASH THOMPSON? A powerful story taking Peter Parker's former nemesis and Spider-Man's biggest fan from the avenues of New York to the war torn Middle East along with his fellow brothers in the US Army.
----------------------------

WOW.  This was one of the most powerful comics I've read in ages.  Kudos to Guggenheim and team on an incredible story.

I would challenge my fellow Realmers to go pick this up from your LCS.  Yeah, yeah, I know about all of the hooplah over Brand New Day and I was on that bandwagon at the time so if it helps - this issue has very little to do with Spider-Man and everything to do with Flash Thompson.  I can't praise it enough and I hope you guys give it a shot.  ESPECIALLY if you know anyone serving overseas.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:42:53 AM »

Is anyone still reading Amazing Spider-Man? 

I've just recently started catching up.  I'm on issue #580 (thanks to my Marvel Digital subscription) and am really surprised at how good the stories are.

Just wondering if I'm all alone on this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:34 AM »

Oh yeah, I'm reading and enjoying it quite a bit.  I'm one of those few who have not jumped ship trying to prove some point hoping that the fans have spoken by their dollars and everything will revert back sooner than later. I'm able to let go of these grudges. The stories here are still better than half the other crap.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »

I'm one of those few who have not jumped ship trying to prove some point hoping that the fans have spoken by their dollars and everything will revert back sooner than later. I'm able to let go of these grudges. The stories here are still better than half the other crap.

Cheesy
Glenn is getting really good playing the part of the the passive aggressive internet guy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »

Cheesy
Glenn is getting really good playing the part of the the passive aggressive internet guy.

Just checking to see if you were paying attention.  Grin  Someone has to stir the pot every once in awhile!  Wink  I admit that I tend to post my "diplomatic insults" without consideration of others.  Take it as a sign that I care.  I admire the fact that the Spidey fans who left post-OMD have stuck to their guns, but you all are just being silly.  Tongue  HA!

sincerely
passive-agresssive jerk #1

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »

Nice post Glenn!

Tongue

Jerk. Ha!

No, still stuck with my guns. OH, I read the previews, scan the books at the store, but honestly? I see nothing that interests me as a former Spidey fan. The "Ol'Parker luck in action" shtick that the books are saddled with still show Peter as an utter loser; not a guy who has to make crappy choices through the day. And I don't want to read those books at all.

And lately, the art really blows. Even scanning trades, I'm not going to pick any of it up.

And, above all else, I'll stick to this huge gun:

Peter Parker made a deal with the Devil.

(a moment for all to argue the minutae that Mephisto isn't the head devil, blah blah blah)

Peter did NOT take responsibility for what he was faced with. He let guilt and fear override everything that the woman who was now dying taught him, and he sought the easy way out like a crying child.

My friend Peter Parke died that die. As did Spider-man.

And it still pisses me off.

But, I'm okay with it. So Spidey is someone I don't read about? Eh then. Not my cake anymore.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

Funny, I was at the LCS yesterday (wow, not going to be long before that puppy is gone  Sad) and saw the newest amazing (yes, little "a"  Grin) and I almost picked it up.

Shocked

Cover looked crazy cool.

(and by almost picked it up, I mean almost picked it up, off the shelf to look through  Grin)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »

I've been behind on my ASM, but I'm actually making really good progress at getting current.  

The artwork can be hit or miss, because of the rotating group of creators, but the underlying stories have been really good stuff.  The Gauntlet that Spidey is being put through has been a doozy.

Just finished the arc with the return of the Rhino.  Pretty powerful stuff that made me feel something for the big guy.  I also can't believe that JJJ's actions will hurt Peter's chances of getting a job as a photographer for the immediate future.

I gotta say that I like that Peter has been juggling flirty to sexual relationships with practically 5 girls at the same time!  MJ, Carlie Cooper, Michelle Gonzales, Norah Winters, and Black Cat!  A little out of character yes, but I'm enjoying it all the while.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:46:02 PM by G:The Last Man » Logged

HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »

Just finished the Juggernaut/Captain Universe story arc, and loved it.

Aside from the fact that Roger Stern imbued the powers of Captain Universe to some whiny blame the world guy......he redeemed himself by letting Juggernaut have the powers as well! Grin  It was a great history lesson showcasing Juggernaut and Spider-Man's relationship through the years.

Lee Weeks needs to draw more issues of Spidey......Love his artwork.

Can't wait to read the Lizard "Shed" storyarc tonight!

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

I think you will enjoy it as well...Shed is a great story with some serious shocks.  Good stuff all around, especially if you like Bachelo's art.  For me he is hit or miss but this one was pretty good.

Grim Hunt is shaping up nicely as well...loving the JMDemattis back-up featuring Kaine.
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »

I think you will enjoy it as well...Shed is a great story with some serious shocks.  Good stuff all around, especially if you like Bachelo's art.  For me he is hit or miss but this one was pretty good.

Grim Hunt is shaping up nicely as well...loving the JMDemattis back-up featuring Kaine.

Loved Shed!!!!  I think Bachalo's rendition of Lizard is one my absolute favorites!  How about Lizard's new power set too?!? 

I'm really digging the events set in motion by the mother/daughter Kravens!  The fact that they kidnapped Madame Web to get a glimpse into possible futures and plan their "gauntlet" to twist the future to their liking is wild!

Really good story, that really everyone should check out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS