HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:06:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RE-READ...  (Read 20345 times)
troyfreund
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »

RE-READ Spawn 2-5.  Wow, I really hope I saw how crappy a writer McFarlane was when I bought these...I can hardly read them.  Could any writer use so many words to say so little?  I can't think of a comicbook I skim so thoughtlessly as these early Spawn issues.  Wow, the heady days of early Image....

RE-ReAD The Atheist 2-4.  Still a great book.  Really a unique idea and a great, kinda creepy story.  Good execution.
troyfreund
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:58 AM »

RE-READ:  ALL the Alan Moore "Swamp Thing" trades.  Work that really holds up.  Great then (though I wasn't reading it when it first came out) and great now.

RE-READ:  The three volumes of Josh Dysart's "Swamp Thing" trades.  Not as good as Moore, a definitely different "feel" to it, but not bad.  Enjoyed some of the artwork, but not so much Swampy's "bulky" look.
erik
HR Soldier

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:02 AM »

I recently moved into my first apartment (yay!) and now have more space and easier access to my comic collection. So I've been doing quite a bit of re-reading.

I read

Iron Man 70 - 71
Vegas Bleeds Neon
It was a three-issue fill in by other artists. A good little story. It involved Tony going to Los Vegas and uncovering an alien conspiracy. Howard Hughes (part of the inspiration for Tony) was refrenced quite a bit in the story.

Iron Man 86 - 89
Iron Man Disassembled
This was Iron Man's personal crisis around the time the Avengers where blown up by Bendis. It featured great art by Tony Harris, but a horrible story by the writer. It was good for awhile, but it quickly became apparent that he didn't know everything about the Disassembled event, and this was making continuity plot holes as he went. Then, to add insult to injury, he kills off Tony's girl friend Rumiko for no reason at all.
Plus - PLUS - To really make this story suck, Tony decides to try go back in the closet, saying he's giving up being Iron Man, even though there will still be an Iron Man - and not even the stupidest of people would actually buy that load of garbage. Luckily Civil War took place a few months later - so that cleared up that mess.
Why re-read this story, then? I wanted to give it another try. I'm rare to really hate a story, and thought I might have been wrong before. Plus, Tony Harris' art is awesome!

Secrets Wars TPB
I up and just decided to re-read this series. It was pretty good, and flows well - and you get to see all the various heroes during different points of their careers.

Crisis on Multiple Earths
If I read Marvel's big cross-over epic, why not DC's again? A very long and dense read, but worth it. I don't think a single DCU character was over looked, somewhere in the background, of that series.

Sandman
I finally had finished the Sandman series, and was so geared up about it I went ahead and re-read the first two TPBs. (You forget how things started after so long) Such an incredible series, from top to bottom.

-----------------------
http://supersentaiimages.blogspot.com/
Super Sentai (Japanese Power Rangers)

http://kandouerik.blogspot.com/
Comics, Japanese Stuff, and More
troyfreund
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »

RE-READ:  The Goon, Vol 2-3.  Man, haven't looked into what Powell's been up to lately, but this was such great fun--particularly the Hellboy cross-over!  Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »

The GOON got a lot better for me at about vol 3.

Good stuff.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »

Captain America: Winter Soldier

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
troyfreund
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »

KANE by Paul Grist.  What a master story-teller.  Was never a huge crime/cops+robbers fan, but this guy did some great work.  Just finished the first volume and am on the second now.  Lovely stuff, really.
troyfreund
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »

Most of the Azzarello/Frusin "Hellblazer" issues. 
Man, Azzarello's writing sure takes some getting used to, but he sure spun some great tales.  He took Constantine in some pretty wrong, nasty and pervy, scary directions.  Great issues and I really loved Frusin's artwork (I've even got one page of original artwork from #177-a Carey-written issue)
Also, in the final arc, "Ashes and Dust", I never noticed till now all the Batman references!  Kinda funny. Smiley
troyfreund
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

Now re-reading a lot of the Ennis/Dillon "Hellblazer" issues.  That was my first real introduction to these creators and man, did they kick ass on this title.  Though I really enjoyed Frusin's Constantine, it's Dillon's Constantine who impressed me first.
troyfreund
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »

Have been re-reading all summer, but forgetting to post about it...
-just re-read the first 4 issues of the Millar/Hitch "Fantastic Four" run...and was disappointed all over again.  Gah, did he really have any idea what these characters "sound" like?  Hitch's work just saves these issues from the "Take to Half-Price Books Box".
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:42 AM »

See, I was rereading Millar's FF as well....and while I do agree with the voices being, well, awful in the beginning, I absolutely LOVED the amazement Millar created as the whole she-bang came to a brilliant, "bring it all back home" conclusion. Truly loved it.

And Hickman's work is better.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

See, I was rereading Millar's FF as well....and while I do agree with the voices being, well, awful in the beginning, I absolutely LOVED the amazement Millar created as the whole she-bang came to a brilliant, "bring it all back home" conclusion. Truly loved it.

I didn't get the Millar run so I can't comment on it but I will second that Hickman's FF is, well, FANTASTIC!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
troyfreund
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »

OK, I've finished the run, and after some distance, it does "taste" better, but not great. Seemed like lots of great ideas, but not many decently developed.  I know Millar only signed on for 12 issues, but maybe he shoulda backed off a bit then and done a few ideas GREAT instead of just throwing a whole bunch at the fan and hoping something sticks.
I only read the first issue of Hickman and while he "sounded" better, the artist's rendition of Reed was just painful to to look at!  I'm hoping to get a trade or two to read from my library!
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:19 AM »

The thing that really worked for me is that the FF felt, well, just amazing to read. But yeah, Millar's work really can hit all over the place. He's like a 4 year old throwing paper confetti at a fan-sometimes it just works out right, and sometimes it's just one big blast before it all falls in a big heap.

Actually, FF has been quietly one of my favorite and stalwart books for years now. I REALLY enjoyed Mcduffie's stuff, Millar brought a huge scale to it, and Hickman is working something that looks to stand the test of time-if the center holds.

Luckily Troy, Dale Eaglesham has left the book to take over Hulk. While nothing wrong with Dale's work, he loves his broad shouldered heroes (his words, not mine), and it just doesn't make a good looking book. I believe....shoot...Scot Eaton or Mike Epting, or Mike Perkins has taken over currently, and it's a good look so far. A little darker, ala his (whoever he is!) Captain America's work, which adds a different layer to the FF, but I'm good with it for now.

Jimmy T since 2001
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »

Recently re-read the entire Ultimate Spider-Man run.  Anyone have any opinions on the continuation (I think it's called Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man or something like that)?

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS