HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:53:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DAREDEVIL Thread  (Read 31654 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »

Come's out this week - What does everyone think of the new direction??

DAREDEVIL #501
Written by ANDY DIGGLE
Art by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE
Cover by ESAD RIBIC
Variant Cover by TIM SALE
Meet Daredevil as you’ve NEVER seen him before!
The cataclysmic events of issue 500 left Matt in the toughest place of his life – and forced him to make the hardest decision he’s ever made. Now’s the start of a radically different chapter in Daredevil’s adventures, and the perfect jumping-on point as the new creative team of Andy Diggle (THUNDERBOLTS) and Roberto De La Torre (IRON MAN) take DD to entirely new highs…and lows!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »

Wow, not sure I am liking this Daredevil.

Spoilers of course  -----

Now I know Izo is not dead, not by Matts hand ... wouldn't happen, but I still see this as a story written for conveniece rather than progression. Still on board, for a few, but this is not gellin' yet. I mean Matt whinning again, already, really?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:51 AM »

Ha!

Finally finished out the entire Return of the King arc....and was mighty impressed with how the unholy alliance between Wilson and Matt played out! Brubaker went out with style and Matt gunning for leadership of the Hand was truly unexpected.  Neither was Tarantula's ability to negate the Hand's control! Loved how Daredevil paralyzed Owlsley!  One less power-monger to worry about in Hell's Kitchen!

Off to read Diggle's attempt at picking up where this left off!

HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:42 AM »

Wow, not sure I am liking this Daredevil.

Spoilers of course  -----

Now I know Izo is not dead, not by Matts hand ... wouldn't happen, but I still see this as a story written for conveniece rather than progression. Still on board, for a few, but this is not gellin' yet. I mean Matt whinning again, already, really?

Just read 501 & 502....

Didn't quite get the impression you did Perry...and I suppose all the whining was over the top on purpose and for show in case the Hand was watchin.  Definitely on board for the foreseeable future.

I'm a big fan of Jock from years back when he did the Losers for DC Vertigo, so I know that the book is in more than capable hands.....plus the artwork by De La Torre is freakin' sweet and compliments this book nicely, and I prefer it more than Lark's actually.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »

Definitely on board for the foreseeable future.

Me as well. Just depends on how far into the future I "foresee"   Grin I do love my Daredevil, but I am just missing the voice here. Not bad, just ... I don't know ... missing. Diggle's THUNDERBOLTS has also left me wanting, so perhaps it is a case of just one of those writers, that while good, enjoyable and efficient, does little to make me desire reading his work.

But it is early
 Smiley 

I'm a big fan of Jock from years back when he did the Losers for DC Vertigo, so I know that the book is in more than capable hands.

Missing the Jock reference. What is he doing on this book?
 Huh

....plus the artwork by De La Torre is freakin' sweet and compliments this book nicely, and I prefer it more than Lark's actually.

I do not mind the art, for sure (whoah, Valley Girl moment ... fer sure, fer sure), but I am still more a fan of Lark on the moody Daredevil. Roberto De La Torre is a very nice artist however, and I do enjoy his work. Great choice for this title.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:11 PM »

Cheesy

I meant Diggle.....Jock was the artist on that Vertigo series.....Losers....that's me!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »

Cheesy

I meant Diggle.....Jock was the artist on that Vertigo series.....Losers....that's me!

Grin
Whew, I thought I was losing it. I was all - "What, is Jock inking this? No. Is he doing the layouts? Not that I see. What the hell ...?"

Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »

DAREDEVIL #503

Ummm, Diggle ... really?

White Tiger - "There must be over a million dollars in heroin here. What should we do with it?"
Matt (as DD) - "Put it in the river, White Tiger"

What in the hell, Diggle? Having Matt Murdock throw a massive amount of dangerous chemical into a river? Hello, I know NY's waterways are kinda bad, but really? This is what you do?

Secondly, someone needs to tell Diggle that the amount of heroin shown in that panel, is worth a hell of a lot more than "must be over a million". Over a million is an understatement.
 Wink

Other than that, and the small problem I have with Daredevil suddenly living in Gotham City (if you read this issue and thought otherwise I want to know how), it ended pretty strong, with me wanting to get the next issue.

De La Torre and my love for the character may be the only thing saving this title from being yanked form my pull, however.
 Undecided

HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »

Just let it go bro! Cheesy

You're asking for too much realism in your funny books! Wink
Matt was never the champion for the environment anyway....that guy has too many personal problems on his plate!

Hell, maybe Diggle is setting it up so Namor pays Daredevil a visit and confronts him about dumping all the product into his ocean!  Or maybe the heroin will mix with some toxic sludge in the Hudson, some poor schmuck falls into it, and we have the origin of a new villain! 

White Tiger vs. China White!!! Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »

Cheesy

Yeah, I suppose it could be I am just having a grumpy old man month (trying to convince myself to drop some more titles  Grin) but man, that just stood out to me. I am not saying he is a save the Earth kinda devil, but to just say 'eh, throw that in there with that aquatic life' seems kinda off for a guy that was blinded by circumstance of similar eco-carelessness.

You know, contaminated fluid in drums being hauled in a pick-up can blind.
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »

DAREDEVIL #504

Just finished this. Mucho mo better than the last couple of issues even though I still feel as though I am reading about a different character. This is not Matt. Diggle's voice for Matt is just wrong and I can't pin-point why. Not bad. Just not Matt.

I did enjoy this issue, not saying I didn't. Diggle did a good job with the story and has a good sense of Foggy and Dakota (which I really like her character) and the art is just fantastic for this title.

I look forward to Hell's Kitchen being a Hell for criminals and I still like the new "horned Hand" costumes.
 Grin

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:29:20 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »

DAREDEVIL #505

Ha-Yah !

Starting to enjoy Diggles DD more and more. Love the twist that is soon to be happening to Matt ... or does he expect it? Love the Hand, almost as much as I love evil Nazi's.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

Current run:  I picked up starting with Brubaker's run and went digital with the start of Diggle's.

While I'm waiting for Diggle's run to get uploaded I started browsing through the Kevin Smith and Bendis runs.

Would you guys reccomend I go back and read the whole series starting with issue 1?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »

Kevin Smiths run was very good ... for the time. It pissed a lot of people off, but made Daredevil a character to be discussed. I still enjoy it, and Quesada art is top notch in the series.

However, it is very different from when Mack and then Mack/Bendis jumps on. the art changes dramatically (very brooding, but very fucking good and matches the tone with perfection) and is about the best DD that has ever been written.

My suggestion is to read the Kevin Smith arc ... issues 1-8 I believe with the "feeling" that it is a separate, but equally deserving book, and then jump on with the David Mack stuff. From there the Bendis transition is less glaring but about the best comics to ever grace the world. Honestly.

If you just want to read the Bendis run ... it is understandable, as they are (as I have said) some of the best stories ever, but I feel that the Smith run, while completely different in look and "feel", is also a deserving read.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »

Issue 507

White Tiger is now one of my top ten Marvel characters. I loved her in this issue. and this artist draws her incredible. Her on page 5, nice look and that great costume shines through. The last panel of page 16 (talking to matt) ... wow ... 'sproing'
 Grin

Can't wait for Shadowland. Cant freaking wait.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS