HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:31:53 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FANTASITC FOUR  (Read 37562 times)
Herr Mike
HR Super Hero

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:44 AM »

He might be biting off more than he can chew, but Hickman is a capable writer. I'll give it a chance. The art is weird though. Not really a fan of it. The heads are very wide and the hands are very small.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »

Hickman's FF -

After praising this guy for 4 months (or so), Hickman's first (true) issue of FF has just been laid to rest in my comic pile. I have to say ... I am honestly bemused.

Maybe your expectations were too high.  I thought this was a decent start.  Secret Warriors started out slow too and has been getting better with each issue.

Seems to be more of a parallel earth storyline than a time one (even though they claimed to monitor time).  I like all the parallel Reed's getting together to "Solve Everything".  It's an interesting concept and I'll stick with it through the first arc.

I wonder if Zombie Reed will be in the mix?   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
troyfreund
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »

I didn't find the issue to be too bad; at least I'm willing to give it another issue or two.  The only real complaint I have is the artwork.  Really, when did Reed start lifting weights?  The art kinda reminds me of Liam Sharp's early Marvel UK stuff.  Anywho, the cover is by Eaglesham and there Reed's physique is looking like it's supposed to. Smiley  I know I've asked it before, but I forget the answer:  Why am I supposed to be so excited for Hickman's arrival?

Also, does anyone miss the Millar/Hitch stuff at all?  I do kinda.  I really felt like those issues were supposed to be something significant and it just didn't pan out.  What's the final analysis of the Millar/Hitch run?
Herr Mike
HR Super Hero

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »

It totally reminded me of Liam Sharpe as well. BTW, Alan Davis did the cover I think.

I really enjoyed the Millar run.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

Well there is no way that is Reed ... has to be "an alternate" Reed. Treating Sue like that? Nay I say, nay.

This past issue was a lot better, but sadly I see the days are numbered for me and the FF. If Hickman can't bring my love back to this title, I fear the affair maybe over. I can always catch it in digital. I think Reed could appreciate that.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »

FANTASTIC FOUR #577

Wow, has it been that long since I posted in this thread? Damn.

Well, thanks to Hickman, the Marvel Cosmic Universe just took a great turn. The Badoon, The Dire Wraiths, and the Kymellian and Centaurian to boot, all went through the same Kree gene manipulation as the Inhumans? And now they have returned to the Moon and await Black Bolts return so they can ... take the Earth?

OH HELL YEAH !!!!!

Jeff, I know you went to digital with this title, but I hope you have this one coming before it takes effect...?

Oh ... and Eaglesham still draws very "stand around'ish" but it was a little better this issue.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »

Sorry Perry - missed your post but Yes - I did get that one.  And I got May's issue too which should be my last.

Or rather....should have been!

I'm enjoying this too much to wait.  I've decided to keep getting it monthly along with Guardians of the Galaxy.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:52 AM »

Fantastic Four 587 - The Last Stand of.....

I did it!  Managed to stay unspoiled until my issue arrived in the mail.

Now that I've read it and I know who dies I have to say I'm disappointed.  Too formulaic in my opinion.  Plus comic book deaths don't mean anything anymore.  A fact that was proven when Barry Allen came back.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »

Fantastic Four 587 - The Last Stand of.....

I did it!  Managed to stay unspoiled until my issue arrived in the mail.

Wow, good job. That sucker was everywhere I turned.  Cheesy

Now that I've read it and I know who dies I have to say I'm disappointed.  Too formulaic in my opinion. 

Not sure if you think the character that died, the way it happened or the "death of the character" in general was formulaic. I will say that I am a little ... just a tad ... disappointed in the way the "death" (Clearly NOT shown) occurred, I love how Hickman worked it up until the last minute.

Going into this issue, we had four of the 4 in precarious positions. The set-up was great. It could have been anyone of them that "died" as they were all in a dangerous spots.

Sue was in the middle of an oceanic war, with Namor, which I though would be a cool future plot device (having Namor there for her death and not Reed. How would that effect Reed ... and Namor for that matter?)

Reed on Nu-World (which I am glad is gone) fighting for/with/against Galactus. He could have easily bit the bullet.

Johnny and Ben facing part 2 of the Annihilation Wave. And Ben being "normal" during the attack.

I mean, wow, any of them could have bit it and in this issue, and slowly showing us each character "reaching base" ... showing it would NOT be that character, was cool.

I know I am glad it wasn't Ben or Sue .... Hey I have the issue number posted above ... screw spoiler warning.  Grin

Plus comic book deaths don't mean anything anymore

Without question. I consider a "death" nothing more than a set time away from seeing that character again. That is all is. But hey, we read books about people bypassing the law of gravity, traveling faster than the speed of light and keeping their secret identity away from wikileaks, so what is death really?
 Grin

In fact, I think we have two options of how Storm returns without even thinking about a better way -

1) Due to some strange occurrence in the Zone, he is able to go super, super Nova and wipe them all out.

2) He 'burns' through the ground and escapes through the crust of the planet. When the wave hit he looked to be heading that way.
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »

I mean the setup for the actual death was formulaic.  I saw that already in Armegeddon when Bruce Willis takes the bullet basically for Ben Affleck.

The issue itself was another good Hickman FF story for the reasons you laid out.  Having them all in potentially life ending situations was great. 

Maybe my expectations were to high because of the hype.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »

Oh no, I think your dissatisfaction with the end product is understandable. It was not a 'wow" moment. Though Ben and Johnny's 'final scene' was a little moving, it was on the low end of luster as a whole.

On another "what will happen next" moment, I am very curious if Reed will try to resurrect Jim Hammond or create another version? This would be a heavy thing for Sue to contend with, so close to her brothers "death" and as Reed is known for his inability to stay in tune with her emotions, something he would likely do. If nothing else to have just in his lab.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:01:40 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »

Actually Jim Hammond and Toro have both already been resurrected - see last years Torch TPB.  They are currently in the The Invaders mini series that's being published by Narcel and Dynamite.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 01:21:43 AM »

Actually Jim Hammond and Toro have both already been resurrected - see last years Torch TPB.  They are currently in the The Invaders mini series that's being published by Narcel and Dynamite.

?
Of what do you speak of? The Marvel and Dynomite 12 issue mini from awhile back?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 04:08:30 AM »

I'm a little, actually, a lot too damned skeptic of this.

Too many deaths and rebirths, unfortunately, rob a heroic moment of it's power. I wanted to be fully in the moment, to see the character fully in their power and go out blazing. But it looked like a mob death. I dunno. In my long comic memory, Ben's death by Doom and subsequent resurrection via a trip to heaven to meet Jack Kirby doesn't seem that long ago.

That said, I still love this title. Hickman is awesome.

Although the book is being restarted as "FF" only, that could mean Fantastic Five, since it could involve Valeria and Franklin's influence, therefore still keeping the family vibe alive, or Future Foundation, the group that Reed has started with the young generation that has paid off in spades.

And the art is great. Epting and Perkins can make anything look like a dangerous, dramatic action movie. Visuals have such a punch!!

Jimmy T since 2001
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »

Well,

I have not read this issue yet. I have not been reading much FF lately. This death of an FFF member reminds me of the death of Reed Richards a while back. I won't even mention the Death of the Invisible Woman. I always wonder is there a really good bigger, well thought out  story with these "death" storylines or is it just quick gimmick?

I would love to see FF have a comeback like the Avengers have enjoyed.

Well, we will all see what comes...

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS