HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:42:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Uncanny X-Men thread  (Read 30524 times)
troyfreund
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

Annual 2
OK, a pretty good issue about the White Queen.  I enjoyed the writing, enjoyed both artists (particularly Acuna's Hellfire Club hotties), but do have a couple questions...
--What was the point of the first three pages with Namor?  It was a neat scene, but I am perplexed as to how it related to the whole story.
--When Namor and Emma met in "The Club," who are the soldier-looking guys standing around as they talk?
--Oh yeah, why is this Annual #2?  Uncanny has had lots of annuals before, when did they start renumbering them?
Color me mildly confused,
Troy

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:09:48 AM »

Ya know,

You make good point, but I think that the last Morrison Annual was from what this one takes off. There was such a gap between annuals that there is a generational separttion(pure theory).

The guards were Hellfire Club mercenaries which artistically still stand out. I loved it though I think Emma may pay for her deception in the end game some day. I was so hungering for a face off between her and her former mentor slash abuser though. I want her and Selene to face off sometime in the future though.

Still no explanation for Namor's Dark Reign behavior.

I liked this story and miss all that good Hellfire Club stories can do.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
troyfreund
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »

-Curious as to what's going on with Emma---lots of foreshadowing, little information...
-I really dig the "science squad" and am enjoying that thread, especially seeing Madison "Box" Jefferies back in action...
-Curious to see how Colossus' story unfolds, and how taking in the refugees affects the X-base dynamics..
--Another good issue-things happened, dialogue seems on and Dodson' art continues to impress.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:05:05 AM »

I'm still reading but I wish they had a different artist.  It doesn't feel like the X-Men for some reason for me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »

One point,

We did not address this. It is funny when writers take liberties with characters. In this story, Selene is placed in the role of a telepath that Shaw uses at his whim. Selene's telepathy is not as strong as Emma's and deflinitely not in Xavier's league. I have always and still want to see Emma and Selene face off, but I take into account that Selene has never been depicted in a direct confrontation of a powerful telepath that wasn't a young girl. So, I say that her blasting Emma could be effective as any telepath could be caught off guard-- but erasing the events from her mind. Hmm... I miss the wicked ways of the backstabbing Hellfire Club.

A Time Lord even moreso.
Herr Mike
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:38:24 AM »

I almost picked up the Dodson issues but I was afraid the story might lead into the Land issues, who is unreadable for me.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:44 PM »

... the Land issues, who is unreadable for me.

I kinda feel the same way. I won't go as far as "Unreadable", but I certainly don't enjoy it.

Funny thing, for me, I actually enjoyed his work on the old CrossGen book SOJOURN. I don't know if it was the over use of the colors brown and tan or what, but his "art"  (Cheesy) seemed less ... distracting to me then. Maybe he was just using a thicker rice paper to trace.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
troyfreund
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:47:18 AM »

Issue #508---lots of threads being juggled here, and most of them pretty well.  Whois the "dragon-girl"?  And the sisters who hate each other?  Am interested to see where it all goes and how it goes down.  Am not minding Land's artwork too much, getting used to it actually.  What do the rest of you think?  Particularly, of Madelyne Pryor's re-emergnce?
Troy
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:24:36 AM »

Love Maddie.

She is a villain who makes sense. Cyclops left her and their child to go after his true love. And she is just bad.

The two sisters are Mastermind's daughters who both go by the name Lady Mastermind and hate each other.

Not sure who Dragon chick is.

Kwannon, the Asian empath whose body Psylocke has been running around in for years. Not her fault, but the culprit who did the mind switch/mix with them was Spiral who is also their for the party.

A Time Lord even moreso.
troyfreund
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

#510--good issue.  Not really interested in Pixie, but Fraction seems to love her.  I am VERY interested to see what the Sisterhood does with what they stole from Wolverine.  Could be very interesting.  Also, said it before and I'll say it again--I want "ugly Lady Deathstrike" back.  I can appreciate the "hot villainess" as much as anyone, but it gets old when they ALL fit the "hot villainess" look.  Greg Lang, meh.
troyfreund
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

511:  decent conclusion to the Sisterhood, but not really all that great.  Seems like the story wrapped up too quickly, with little explanation of what exactly happened.

512:  Fun to see Paquette's artwork again.  Haven't seen him in a while.  Great Victorian story with some interesting story twists, particularly the last page.  I enjoyed it.  Interested to see where the Beast's quest goes now.

Utopia 1:  Boy, didn't realize how much I missed Silvestri on an X-book!  This was fun, but I don't think I can continue to suspend my disbelief in the 616 fear of mutants, considering all the other more-freaky, non-mutant heroes in the 616-world.  Still, a fun book, despite the NINE different inkers on this book.  Dang.
troyfreund
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

#514-Utopia Chapter 4
-diggin' the Dodson's artwork--such beautiful smooth lines,
-really appreciate seeing Cloak and Dagger in action again,
-curious as to where the X-folks are gonna move to, kinda sad that they're gonna be leaving San Fran so soon...
troyfreund
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

Uncanny X-Men 516
-NICE cover.  Never been too big of a Magneto fan, but that sure is one nice cover.
-Interested to see where the Cyclops-Magneto alliance goes
-It was fun to see Prof. X get kinda pissy. Smiley
-Could Mags be working with the folks who've sent the Predator Xs on their way?
-Still don't like Land's artwork much, but it could be worse, that's for sure
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »

Nation-X

Will be interesting to see how this ultimately turns out as alliances with Magneto never turn out well. Did you notice him perk up about Hope's survival with Cable. I wonder how long Emma will be Diamond and if it will add anything to the overall story. The last time Cyclops love interest went all cold on him-- he found comforst elsewhere. Cyke has a pattern.

I like the use of Emplate though

A Time Lord even moreso.
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »

I think that Fraction is really hitting his stride here.  I really do like that Scott has kind of taken "the Dream" and made it his own.  So much so that Xavier is kind of out in the cold, which I'm okay with.  I always thought he was a little too stuffy and obnoxious.  Really, though, he'd better serve the cause as a corpse.  Of course that would make him a martyr, and would probably draw lots of terrorist comparisons.  So maybe not.  But I really don't like him much these days.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS