HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:01:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 30, 2021  (Read 2959 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »

2021 is already a quarter in the books.  Life really does move too fast.  Going to enjoy these wonderful comics this week!

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57
Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2
Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3
Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
The Department of Truth #6
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4
Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6
Something is Killing the Children #15
Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12
The Witcher: Fading Memories #3

DC Universe Infinite
Batman & the Outsiders #10
Batman & the Outsiders #11
Batman & the Outsiders #12
Batman & the Outsiders #13
Batman & the Outsiders #14
Batman & the Outsiders #15
Batman & the Outsiders #16

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:07 PM »

Action Comics #1029 (back in stock from last week)
Batman/Catwoman #4
Batman/Superman #16 (back in stock from last week)
Flash #768
Hellions #10

Back issues:
DC Special: Cyborg #4 (2008)
Immortal Hulk #44
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »

Shocked

Well I would say it looks like Jeff is back!! Holy shit that's a lot of books my man Cheesy

That said, I will request you to add one more if you can, Jeff ... well, two more actually ...

Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

Really fun book that has me liking this character a lot more than I did. Not that I hated him prior, but this was such a perfect book for him. Funny, but not Deadpool "wacky". A fast read, but also worth the time. And a total surprise as it shows us what is going on with one character that I hadn't heard of for awhile (Can't wait to see how he ended up being in charge of who he is in charge of  Shocked)

Of course with the list you have, you may want to wait,  Cheesy but I think you will dig it. Ya, hear that Jimmy?  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 11:35:26 PM »

Weeeeeell, didn't get my list done last week, shocking, so going back to listing what I have read, instead of what I want to read
 Cheesy

(All of the following comics are on the MU app)

Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2
- I was honestly surprised how much I enjoyed these first two books that start this five issue mini. It's been awhile (maybe not) since we've had one, but I am happily adding this to the list of Perry Recommends (Or whatever it is I used to call that damn thing)  Cheesy

Amazing Spider-Man #113 (1972) - Spidey battles Doc Oc while discovering that his recent illness (shown in this title AND in the Marvel Team-Up title) was an Duodenal Ulcer!!!  Smiley Also, first appearance of HammerHead!!

Captain America #154 (1972) - Falcon gets beaten and kidnapped by a racist ... Cap and Bucky? What's this?!?! Obviously two imposters, but who could they truly be? We don't find out here in this issue but we know that both fakey fakers are looking for the real Cap (who is on vacation with his gal pal Sharon). Falcon gets free of his bonds, after being helped by his neighborhood friends, and captures Fucky (Fake Bucky Grin). However, during the battle, Fap (Fake Cap) escapes. Falcon then heads to Avengers Mansion for help, gets carded by Jarvis before being allowed inside (Jarvis states the reason was Falcon hasn't been an Avenger for long enough so he wanted to make sure it was him  Cheesy Cheesy) and begins to tell the Avengers about what has been going on and where Cap has been. The team then finds out that Fap (again, Fake Cap - editor  Wink), whom we find didn't get carded by Jarvis, has already been to Avengers Mansion, listened to Falcon tell the Avengers where Cap was and bolted to go get him.

Daredevil #92 (1972) - The ole "Hey look, Daredevil is fighting someone! Wait here comes Matt Murdock? How can that be?" trick to confuse the hero's identity. This time its T'Challa who takes the role of DD fighting (complete with white guy face mask  Shocked) as Matt shows himself to the detective that thought ... just thought they were the same person. Silly Detective

Avengers #104 (1972) - This time I wasn't as tired so I paid more attention to the "mutant that could see the future". Turns out that mutant from last issue was very important. It was Sentinel creator Boliver Trask's kid. Yes, Junior helps the Avengers foil a Sentinel plot to essential make all the humans sterile by increasing solar radiation. Then he gets crushed by the head of a falling Sentinel
 Grin

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:09:45 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 01:25:35 AM »

My backlog on MU alone has 80 comics in it.  But you’ll be happy to know that Taskmaster is already there.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:57:41 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2
Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3
Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4
Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6
Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

West Coast Avengers #54 & 55 - the wrap up to the Acts of Vengeance crossover. Luckily the event started and ended here.  Got the whole thing in two issues.  Grin

West Coast Avengers #56 & 57 - the final fall of Scarlet Witch.  Magneto and Quicksilver are here too!  No resolution here and it was Byrnes last issue.  Will have to catch up with issue 60 for the rest of this Scarlet Witch story!

(Yeah, I’m copying Perry  Grin )
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:46:05 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 04:50:56 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2

Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3
Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4
Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6
Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

Iron Man #2-4 - Love it.  Good story and I like the Hellcat costar.  This art is interesting too.  Nice group of villains that should be D-listers.  Thumbs up!

USAgent #1 & 2 - Hmmm.  Not sure if I like this yet.  It’s got potential but the writing is a little erratic.  I’ll see how the next issue goes.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »

My backlog on MU alone has 80 comics in it.  But you’ll be happy to know that Taskmaster is already there.   Grin

Sah-Weet!  Cool
I didn't want to talk too much about that title, being as its more fresh ... isn't close to 50 years old as the others  Grin, but it is a very cool story.

West Coast Avengers #56 & 57 [...] No resolution here and it was Byrnes last issue.

Oh damn! I don't remember Byrne NOT finishing that story. That sucks. As much as I hate who he turned out to be, he was super-influential to my comic enjoyment during this time ... and before of course. Did it end where it seemed he wanted to leave the title, like the story ended but not complete resolution, or is this one of those "Get out of here, Byrne! You crazy S.O.B" moments that he and Marvel editorial had over the years so he didn't get a chance to complete his plots, ya think?

(Yeah, I’m copying Perry  Grin )

Nah, you're just rollin with the idea to showcase/remind others what we are reading, that's all.  Wink Cool
I think its cool for the older books. Adds a bit of nostalgia to things we may have seen growing up or things we know we read back when we were not waking up in pain  Cheesy. That Wanda centric cover is a perfect example. I don't remember much of the interior off hand, but I damn sure remember where I bought that issue. The old Tinee Giant Convenience Store that used to be on Laskin Road. Ha, that's wild
(Oh, and I'm not happy I put Taskmaster up there. Takes me out of the aesthetic. Maybe I will take that down. Doesn't have the same "ooomph"  Cheesy Cheesy)

Iron Man #2-4 - Love it.  Good story and I like the Hellcat costar.  This art is interesting too.  Nice group of villains that should be D-listers.  Thumbs up!

Yeah, I really enjoyed the first few issues, as did Jimmy I think. He got a little worn on it and I understand his point as, to me at least, it started to feel very stretched out, story wise. So much so that it allowed me to make the switch to MU (it was one of the very few titles I was still getting) although I still enjoy it for all of the reasons you listed.  Smiley

USAgent #1 & 2 - Hmmm.  Not sure if I like this yet.  It’s got potential but the writing is a little erratic.  I’ll see how the next issue goes.

Much like anything with Priest, I found I have to wait and read his stuff in bunches. As this is only a 5 issue mini (I think ... maybe 6?) I am going to get it all loaded at once and see how it hits.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2

Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3

Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4
Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6
Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

Juggernaut #1-4 - fun comic so far. I like seeing the flashbacks for Juggernauts journey back.  I’m on this for awhile.

Batman & the Outsiders #10-16 - Pretty good Ras Al Ghul story.  Not epic but enjoyable for what it is.  I think the next issue is the last of the series?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 12:13:30 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2

Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3

Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4

Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6
Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

Birthright #46 - the beginning of the epilogue as the final story wraps up.  Good start as this last arc promises to be interesting.

The Department of Truth #6 - Great issue!  Finally some answers to who the players are and how long the fight has been going on.  Art was a little cartoony but it worked with this historical story.

Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3 & 4 - Man I love this series!  Great pair of issues and glad I read them back to back.  All out war between our two heroes and the poor drug dealers are caught in the middle.  Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »

Juggernaut #1-4 [...] I’m on this for awhile.

... Or one more issue anyway as the next issue is the last in this five issue mini-series
 Cheesy

Birthright #46 - the beginning of the epilogue as the final story wraps up.  Good start as this last arc promises to be interesting.

Yeah, almost time for me to try this again. Ends at 50 and I may try to jump back in right after that.

The Department of Truth #6 - Great issue!  Finally some answers to who the players are and how long the fight has been going on.  Art was a little cartoony but it worked with this historical story.

Damn it. You gonna make me go back and do this ain't ya?
 Tongue

Grin

Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3 & 4 - Man I love this series!  Great pair of issues and glad I read them back to back.  All out war between our two heroes and the poor drug dealers are caught in the middle.  Cheesy

Crap! I forgot all about the Kick-Ass "New Girl" thing I was reading! Or was it "Next Girl"? Well, regardless, I have to get back into that before I forget everything I read in the first few issues
 Sad Shocked

After reading 1972's Thor issues back to back, I decided a couple things ...

Thor #203 (1972)
Thor #204 (1972)
- I think I am going to by-pass this title as I go further into my "youthful re-reading" of Marvel. It isn't that I don't enjoy it, I do, but I think I am falling into the same problem I had as a youngster trying to read this title ...  it just has a voice that is far too different than all the other titles. That isn't a bad thing, it makes the title stand out, and when I go back and read Thor I will be happy that it is different  Smiley, but when trying to read these past titles (that are already a challenge at times to get through, the prose being what it was/is, nothing like 70's speak "you dig?"  Cheesy) reading Thor speak is even more of a  ... distraction for me. I have a couple Dr. Strange issues (not including the Defenders) that I fear may also suffer from this, so I may have to take both Thor and Strange out of my current reading list and go back at another time and read those. I think the younger me would have done (and probably did, a lot of the times) the same thing. I either read Marvel heroes like Cap, DD, Spidey, etc ... and left Thor and the good Dr. on the rack or I was reading Thor, Dr. Strange, Man-Thing and the like and was off of the cape stuff during those times.
The only constant I can remember buying is the FF and even then I missed a lot of those issues.

Marvel Feature #1 (1971) - Gotta be honest and say I did NOT enjoy this at all. There are a couple stories in this first issue and the main one was not one of Roy Thomas' (Or early Ross Andru's) best efforts. Strange, Hulk and Namor stop a bomb (basically). Although it is cool how Strange did it, he slowed time around the bomb so it will take eons and eons for the timer to finally go off, it wasn't a good story. Oh, Surfer was there as well. Ehhh, a little. He knocked himself out trying to escape Earth (as he was just punished for betraying Galactus and forced to stay on this planet) so Strange decided to inlist Hulk instead of waiting for Surfer to wake up  Cheesy
Of course another story in this issue that comes after the bomb stuff is called "The Return". It showcases Dr. Strange's return to being the Sorcerer Supreme (I guess he walked off in the last issue of his own series?), but why this is not the first story I have no idea. Plus it was drawn by Don Heck who, even after all these years, I still do not enjoy.

Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

Amazing Spider-Man #113 (1972)
Captain America #154 (1972)
Daredevil #92 (1972)
Avengers #104 (1972)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »

Juggernaut #1-4 [...] I’m on this for awhile.

... Or one more issue anyway as the next issue is the last in this five issue mini-series
 Cheesy

ROFLMAO.  Alrighty then.  One more issue!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2

Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3

Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4

Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6

Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

Low #26 - the end...finally.  Definitely a series best read collected.  The journey from issue to issue was really confusing.  I need to go back and reread the whole thing to understand it but I just don’t have the energy for it.

Naibiter Returns #9 & 10 - these last two issues saved the series and set things up for an interesting third series. But man these serial killers are gross and disturbing!

Rorschach #5 & 6 - two good issues of this mystery series.  We delve deeper into the psyche of Laura and learn more about the political characters.  Fascinating series.

Seven Secrets #6 - hmmm.  Just when I was getting pretty bored with this story, they added a new layer of mystery.  Guess I’m still in.

Something is Killing the Children #15 - Nice ending to this story.  Is it the end of the series?  I hope not.  I’d like to see more adventures with Erica and the House of Slaughter.  Very much enjoyed this series.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 03:18:38 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #54
West Coast Avengers #55
West Coast Avengers #56
West Coast Avengers #57

Iron Man #2
Iron Man #3
Iron Man #4
USAgent #1
USAgent #2

Juggernaut #1
Juggernaut #2
Juggernaut #3

Juggernaut #4

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #46
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit-Girl #4

Low #26
Naibiter Returns #9
Naibiter Returns #10
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Seven Secrets #6

Strange Adventures #9
Undiscovered Country #12

DC Universe Infinite

I did it!  Finished the list before the last minute!

Strange Adventures #9 - I’m ready for this to wrap up.  I’m kind of tired of this tearing down of the heroes.  It’s not interesting anymore.

Undiscovered Country #12 - I think I’m done with this for awhile now that this arc wrapped up.  Apparently this is the halfway mark.  So I may wait for the next arc to wrap and read it all at once.  Maybe.  I’m kind of interested in how this plays out but man it’s a chore to read.

The Witcher: Fading Memories #3 - meh. Just an ok issue.  Art isn’t very good either.  At least the next issue is the last.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS