HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:56:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 18, 2020  (Read 3113 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 18, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »

I’m just going to try to finish my list from last week and not add anything new,

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #22 - Empyre Tie-In
Empyre #4
Lords of Empyre: Celestial Messiah #1
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6
Guardians of the Galaxy #5

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974) - can’t remember why I put this in my list so I might as well find out.
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
Batman & the Outsiders Annual #1
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
The Green Lantern #9
The Green Lantern Annual #1

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:28 PM »

Batman #103
Dark Nights Death Metal #5
Hellions #6
Justice League #57
Spider Woman #6
Teen Titans #47

Oddly enough, Aquaman's final issue was sold out. WTF?!?!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »

Just jumping in to quickly say that if you thought the last issue of Excalibur was bad, the next issue in this weeks run of X of Swords, X-Force #14, will absolutely make you happy.

Oh, no. Sorry, I mean the opposite of that. Yeah, it will not make you happy at all.

What a horrible, horrible issue.

Really makes this "X of Swords" a joke compared to what (admittedly) MY OWN expectations of this event was going to turn out to be. No spoilers here, as I want to wait a week before saying anything else, but yeah, this was bad. And I can't say that it is because of Percy writing it, although I think it was mostly him, as Duggan is also credited (like a few of these past issues were). But I know, and understand ... even though I enjoyed the issue, that people were somewhat irked at the wedding issue from last week's Excalibur, but HA, oh boy, wait until they get a load of this issue's "contests"

I like the fact that this event is not going to just be another fighty fight event. That it took some liberty with some of the tasks set forth for our "heroes", took it away from an all out sword battle, but this ... this really takes this event and turns it on its head. Laughable bullshit.

If this was a Deadpool comic, I would get it, I would even like it (possibly) but in Hickman's world ... this is totally out of tone. I just don't get this at all. Maybe that is good? I don't know. I only know the shift in tone is jarring for me, but again, maybe solely because of expectations I had ... so it's my fault?

Nah ... screw that.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 05:10:48 PM »

Okay, so time has past and I am a little less hate-filled regarding that X-Force #14 ... a little less. Still am not a fan, at all, of the tonal shift, but I can see, I suppose, how it still is an exercise in "fun" comic book reading.

Yeah. Sure.

*sigh*

anyway ... got a few more knocked out, but not much -

X-Force #14 - See Above. Or don't. Pfft
Hellions #6 - Interesting, seriously
Cable #6 - Less so. I teeter on how much I "like" this young Cable anyway (not to say I was a fan of old Cable, because I was/am not), but this issue made me like him even less. And as odd as that sounds, that may just be what makes me like him more come later. Confused? Maybe I am too.

Ice Cream Man #21 - I keep getting it but I usually end up not liking it until two or three days later. HA
ScumBag #1 - Ya know ... I'm not sure if I like this or not. Love the rotating artist idea, but the story ...
Barbaralien #1 - This one I did not like. Co-ploted (?) by Lemire, this is not written by him and it shows. It is not very good and may be the only Black Hammer related title I walk away from before reaching the end. Even Walta's art, which I usually love, seemed off. I will give it one more try, but will walk away, easily, if it doesn't "wow" me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »

Yeah I’ve only read one so far and that was back on Thursday.  Went on a Dad/Daughter Retreat this weekend so I have a good excuse for not reading anything.  I’m going to try to at least finish the Marvel list by Wednesday.  Hopefully more.

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974) - can’t remember why I put this in my list so I might as well find out.
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

Fantastic Four #22 - Empyre Tie-In - This aide story is starting to drag. I hope it picks back up as it started out so well.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »

Okay!!!

DC Universe
Hawkman 18: I just like this title. Sky Tyrant is going to make this more fun too!!
Justice League 26: Still going....Doom-y places. Ok, whatevs. Terrible fill in artist too. Go to the Orrery of Worlds to be told to find the Monitor and Anti-Monitor. Let's see how this goes
Aquaman 53: Okay, I like old myths and monsters and the people who bring them. Cool stuff with the old writer and his curse

Now to the Unlimited...
Dr. Strange 6: Oh! A Covid cancellation...that'....that sucks....Sad
Amazing Spider-man 45-46: I can't tell if the Sin-Eater build up is good....if the pacing is right...or do I just feel done with it due to the creepy bug guy in Peter's history? I don't know what I feel about this story
Immortal Hulk 36-OH...I'm sad for Savage Hulk!!!
GoTG 5: Um...I feel nothing about or for this title. Why am I reading? Just hoping it gets to stuff I like, I guess?

Wolverine 1, and Cable 1. Cable 1 art is trash. Kid Cable annoys me. Sorry, Millenial Cable would have not grown up in the world his predecessor did. Maybe because I want to know I"ll read it? Wolverine is just an off shoot X-force story. Kinda 'eh' with this.

X-force 7-8 is some brutal stuff for Dom and Piotr. Really interested in maintaining this title! 'we could just sink to the water's bottom and be gone from this feeling.' WOW

X-men 5-7: The Crucible is some messed up s#!t. LIke, wow, really messed up. Like, they are totally removing their humanity from their sense of selves in an event like that. I get the need to erase No More Mutants, but that's the way?! That's some messed up X-men community stuff right there

New Mutants 6-8: I can't find myself to like all of Bobby and NM in space. I just..don't. IT's...nonsense. The outcome of Beak's parents, and the twins mind wipes? Oh man, that's tragic, messed up, and f***ed up. Wow!  This title is all over the place for me.

Marauders 7-9: I don't think I like this book. I think I quit this book. Yeah...I quit this book.But I think I do want to see the resolution of Kate's last adventure...

Oh, and I already quit Excalibur

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:11:15 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:41:24 AM »

Marauders 7-9: I don't think I like this book. I think I quit this book. Yeah...I quit this book.But I think I do want to see the resolution of Kate's last adventure...

Hmmm.  You might want to wait until after X of Swords to quit them.  I had quit them too and had to go back and get them.  Well, I didn't have to but it helped.  And Marauders got better for me after a start I didn't like.  If you haven't got to the "death" yet then you might want to hang on to Marauder's a little longer.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 01:44:37 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1

Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

Empyre Handbook #1 - pretty much what I expected - just a handbook.  Good info on the characters but most of which you can grasp from the main book even if your new to the characters.

Lords of Empyre: Celestial Messiah #1 - More naval gazing.  Not a must read as far as I'm concerned.

Empyre #4 - Got really good with this issue.  Is this the "big impact" to the Marvel universe Perry was talking about?  If so, then yes.  This is a big impact.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »

Hawkman 18: I just like this title.

So glad I grabbed this issue on a whim. Made me love the character again (of course just in time for it to get canceled Cry)

Dr. Strange 6: Oh! A Covid cancellation...that'....that sucks....Sad

AMEN!!!

GoTG 5: Um...I feel nothing about or for this title. Why am I reading? Just hoping it gets to stuff I like, I guess?

You may as well bolt now, my man. The tone, story, plot ... everything is consistent. So if you don't enjoy it by now, you aint gonna  Smiley

Cable 1 art is trash.

Shocked
First time I have ever heard Phil Noto's art described as anything close to that. I know we differ on a lot of things but WOW!!! Love me some Noto.

New Mutants 6-8: I can't find myself to like all of Bobby and NM in space. I just..don't. IT's...nonsense.

Ha "Nonsense". A person with flames constantly erupting from their mouth, a teammate that can send his body flying by having his lower half become a propulsion unit, another that turns into a wolf ... all that is okay, but this ...  Wink Grin

Just kidding of course, I understand what you mean, but that word was just funny to me
 Grin

This title is all over the place for me.

That it was. I couldn't take it. I had to jump ship. I did enjoy the "nonsense"  Wink space stuff a tad more than the other stuff, but with two different writers doing their thing on alternate (and then consecutive and then back to alternate?) issues, it was too much going on for me. I think.

Marauders 7-9: I don't think I like this book.

I think, with your last comment about wanting to see Kate's last, that you are going to try the next, but just in-case ... like Jeff said, just go one more issue. Issue #9 is when it turned for me and then #10 sold it. Ever since it has been very interesting. And I say that with the fact that I don't really care for most of the characters on this book
 Undecided
Of course we do tend to, as I said, be polar opposites on a lot of stuff. Like that Noto absurdity for example  Grin

Well you are going to (I assume) return to it with the X of Swords event, so please ask about or google what has transpired prior to the event start. The Apocalypse stuff is an important part of Swords. So much so that before Swords started I went back and got all the issues of this (not great) title to read so I knew what was going on. Glad I did. Even though I didn't enjoy the book, I feel it was important to the event. Very much so, honestly.

Empyre #4 - [...] Is this the "big impact" to the Marvel universe Perry was talking about?

Well, the impact I was referencing was basically towards the Hulk Universe, but yeah, there is another high impact event shown here ... although it is not much an impact for us readers as much as it is for the Marvel Cosmic Universe in general
 Wink
All that said, I still was let down with this event. Shocking, yeah?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »

Like that Noto absurdity for example  Grin

You should have said “Noto nonsense”.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »

Like that Noto absurdity for example  Grin

You should have said “Noto nonsense”.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dang it! Yeah I should've  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:32:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1

Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

Doctor Strange #6 - I wish we knew why this was the last issue.  I guess sales but I don’t know why sales were low.  Waid’s version has been a fun read.  I’ll miss this one each month.

Guardians of the Galaxy #5 - I’m not hating this but I understand why Jimmy doesn’t like it.  I like the Rabbit character but hated the villain that hired him.  Also hate this version of Groot.  I blame Bendis for that.  Now that this arc is over I’ll stick around for one more arc.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 03:45:18 AM »

The Green Lantern Annual 1, The Green Lantern 9-12; TGL: Darkstar: Man, this stuff is super trippy balls, even for me with my fandom of Grant Morrison. The payoff of issue 12 puts it over into 'worth it!'

Unlimted:

Maestro 1 : I will love and hold dear anything Peter Daved ever writes for the Hulk.

X-force 10-I like this book!
New Mutants 10-this book arc with the sad Russian girl I like!
Marauders 10- I got 11 to read to see what else this title does for me
Giant Size X-men Magneto-Ok, Emma got something she wanted. Good enough.

After X-men is all caught up, then it's Empyre...then it's back to DC for all of Grant Morrisons Doom Patrol run (they have it all up!), Justice League International after issue 35 (which is all I got in trades before they quit collecting them), and all of Mark Waid's Flash is sitting there.

Oh yeah, after catching up on Batman, Detective Comics, and Flash since Rebirth.  Tongue   Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »

Lots of reading at 2 AM ... and although technically that should count as the next week's read, I'm throwing it here as I count night-time as F'n night-time
 Cheesy Cheesy

Invincible #85
Invincible #86
Invincible #87
Invincible #88
Invincible #89
- Knocking out some more. At the replacement "Invincible" part where Bulletproof dons the title (job)

Immortal Hulk #40 - Picked this up from this week as well. Trying to wait on these, and I've done great with most of my Marvel buying, but this is one of the 3 or 4 titles that I just can't seem to wait even three months for. I will try again in the next month or so. I mean come on, three freaking months!

Venom #8
Venom #9
Venom #10
- Never have I cared for this character, never, but damn, after issue 8's inclusion of Flash Thompson's Agent Venom, I now want to check out that run as well. I am really digging this stuff! Need to read faster to get caught up for all the Knull stuff coming!

X-Force #14
Hellions #6
Cable #6

Ice Cream Man #21
ScumBag #1
Barbaralien #1

EDIT - Just noticed I called the Barbalien title by the wrong name. Added the Barbarella extra "bar" in there.
 Cheesy
Suppose to be Barbalien #1, not Barbaralien #1
Doesn't help with how I felt about the issue, sadly.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:29:45 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS