HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 06:35:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader for November 4, 2020  (Read 4200 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »

Empyre #3 - getting bored with this story already

Yep, there was just not enough ... "there" there in that event. Just ... *yawn* ... although something happens that is important to the Hulk universe coming up ... other than that, nah ...  Undecided

Spider-Man Noir #2 - over the top dialogue.  Trying too hard to sound like a Bogart movie.

Thank you!! I so wanted to like this mini. I love the Pulp era stuff (Doc Savage is my dude!!!!) and this should have been right in my wheel house, but I found the dialog in the first issue very, very forced and "Trying too hard to sound like a Bogart movie" is exactly the issue I had, but couldn't put my finger on it. 

Hawkman #17 - End of the Shadow Thief arc.  Good issue and leads up to what I think is the issue that got Perry hooked, #18.

Yeah, but I think the shine is going to come off a tad as you and those that started reading the earlier issues and kept going, already know what I found most enjoyable about what I was reading. The new origin if you will. Don't get me wrong, good stuff is coming  Smiley but take away that origin stuff that I discovered in issue #18 and up and the "HOLY COW" becomes more of a "ATHEIST CALF"  ....(WHAT?!?!)
 Cheesy

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #2 - Not as good as the first issue but not terrible either.

I appreciate you trying to read this but I think I will be doing you a disservice if I don't say that you really do need to read this with a "collected mentality" or frame of mind. I mean I think ... I THINK ... you will get more out of this particular read of you read at least 3 issues at a time. I know that seems odd, how can reading issues back to back be that much of an improvement on a story, but I honestly don't think the single issue read will give you the same "ooomph". Okay, sure, maybe? But letting too much time pass between each issue kinda lessens the greatness of this.
 Smiley
And I speak from experience. I know that is what happened to me when I read the first few issues when this first came out. I found the special (or whatever you call that 6 to 8 page preview they had) to be "so, so" if not totally too wacky, and the first couple issues of the main mini just didn't hit for me. But after it was completed I re-started, reading the sneak peak and the next issues back to back, over the next couple days and it blew me away. Especially the way the sneak peak come back into the story. It is vital and had I read the "special" and forgot about what happened, and I would have, I always do, the last few issues of the story would NOT have been as good as it was.

Now yes, you may do what I ask, read them all in clumps and end up with the same feelings you have now or even worse  Cheesy but I know ... well ... I have a real strong feeling that this series will not hit as good just reading issue to issue over weeks apart. I promise you
 Smiley

Now of course, this is just my opinion, buddy. Not trying to tell you how to read ... as long as you do it the way I say.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
(Just kidding)
 Grin

--------------------------------

Man, I started off so well but read next to nothing in the last few days
 Angry

The Cimmerian: People of the Black Circle #3 - Sadly, the longest Conan min from Ablaze had to be the one with the art I didn't enjoy as much as I had hoped, but I look forward to the next story, with (hopefully) art that is more in tune with what I like ... art that looks like it should be in Conan and not Manga Conan

DCeased #5 - I am still enjoying this, but I think the property has run its course as I am getting ... ?

Wolverine: Black, White & Red #1 - I wanted to see if I wanted/needed to add this. I can wait.
X-Men #14
Marauders #14
- The shit is about to hit the fan and getting there has been fun. Obviously the ending isn't what we saw, but I am intrigued to see what really happened.

DCeased #4
Injustice Year Zero #9
Strange Adventure #6
Suicide Squad #10
Detective Comics #1029

Venom #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS