HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:25:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 7, 2020  (Read 5886 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 01:08:52 AM »

The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1 - Wow.  Quite possibly the worst comic book I’ve ever read in my life.

And THERE's the Frank Miller I was expecting
 Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 12:30:31 PM »

Okay, trying to incorporate the list ...  Grin

Invincible #75
Invincible #76
Invincible #77
Invincible #78
Invincible #79
Invincible #80
Invincible #81
Invincible #82

Invincible #83
Invincible #84

Comixology

Thor #8
Wolverine #6
X-Force #13

Marauders #13
Conan Handbook (reprint)
Batman #100
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #11
DCeased: Dead Planet #4
Cimmerian: People of the Black Circle #2
Alien: Original Screenplay #3
Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #2
Norse Mythology #1 (Gaiman)
Adventureman #1
Firepower #4

Reading:
Legend of Swamp Thing Halloween Spectacular #1
STDS9: Too Long a Sacrifice #3 (maybe)
Champions #1

Plus going to get in more of my Invincible ... *

Wolverine #6
X-Force #13
- Putting these together because they are absolutely one book that has been split to make two. They could have saved us some money by making the Wolverine issue a double size comic, charging an extra $2 and making this event 21 issues instead of 22 but nooooo
Anyway, Still not a fan of Percy's writing (ugh) and I absolutely hate, despise with fiery passion,
the stupid ass use of skeletal Wolverine (How the fuck does he move his body without having any fucking muscles?!?! ITS FUCKING IDIOTIC!!!!)
but with all that expressed  Grin I can at least say that I am interested in this new "baddie".
Also, side anger
soooo when they get the sword they are after, does each character have to stay standing in those little circles? I mean why is Magik still there in her circle when Wolverine enters his circle? Did she stay there the entire time after pulling her sword or did she just hear Wolverine was coming so she jumped back in her area for some damn reason?
Come on people!

Cimmerian: People of the Black Circle #2 So, one of my least favorite Conan stories and least favorite looking arc of this series is not the usual 2 issues but will be 3? Dang it!!  Cheesy

Invincible #83
Invincible #84
- So working with Dinosaurus? Hmmm where is this going?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »

Only a few last night. Although I was trying for four or five, one issue killed most of my time. I get sleepy, ya know?
 Grin

Hardcovers from the shelf

Invincible #75
Invincible #76
Invincible #77
Invincible #78
Invincible #79
Invincible #80
Invincible #81
Invincible #82

Invincible #83
Invincible #84

Comixology

Thor #8
Wolverine #6
X-Force #13

Marauders #13
Conan Handbook (reprint)
Batman #100
Adventureman #1
Firepower #4

Reading:
Champions #1

Champions #1 - Interesting art, like the look, but I can safely pass on this. Glad I tried, but no.

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #11 - *sigh* This ... I don't know what to say. I think there is only one more issue of this title and originally, at the start and even around issue four or five, I would have thought I would be saddened by that fact, but with the last ... five or so issues ... I am not upset at all.  Cry

Marauders #13 - With my best Chandler Bing impersonation - "Can we HAVE more words in a comic?"
My goodness. Had I known I was going to read a novel last night I would've given myself more time. I think the 'Claremont' level of text would not have bothered me as much if I cared more about any of this subject matter, or this character I mean. I have nothing against Storm, but she has never been a favorite of mine and so I felt I was pushed into reading a very text laden book without the joy that would normally come from "getting my money's worth". Plus, I guess, that the next seven or so issues of this 22 part event will be
us being shown how the remaining swords are gathered up for this fight? Not that there is anything wrong with that, per se, but at the same time I kinda hope they combine a few of them into one issue so we can get more of the main story and not just a bunch of personal X-Men adventures.
??
Now, back to the issue, I can respect the idea of this story. The tension of Panther and Storm, the trusting that is there (and isn't) was cool. Especially considering I have always thought that the marriage of Black Panther and Storm was kind of a bullshit thing to do ... putting two characters together solely because they have the same color of skin rather than any story that naturally led them to be together (and if I am wrong on that my apologies, but that is what it felt like to me at the time). But yeah, it was well written tension inside this ... tome  Cheesy but I still came away not really caring. Sadly.
But hey, I guess this issue answered my question on
if they all have to stay in their own damn circle once they return with their sword.
Ha, how stupid is that? I mean, really? Why? Did I miss something?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4
   Marauders #13 - Chapter 5

The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1

The Witcher Vol 3: Curse of Crows (Collects issues #1-5)
Black Kiss by Howard Chaykin TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues #1-12)

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers of the Wasteland #4
Avengers of the Wasteland #5
Hawkeye: Freefall #5
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
Superman’s PAL Jimmy Olsen #1
The Terrifics #11

--------------------------------------------

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #11 - yeah, what Perry said.

DCeased: Dead Planet #4 - Not bad. Liking the search for a cure.  And a visit with the New Gods is always good.  And that cliffhanger will be over the top.

Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #2 - Oh man.  I bet our hero did not see that coming!  Great book.  Love the trip into the past.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:51:47 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 02:46:55 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

Hawkman #9-12 - Pretty decent energy to this arc and the resolution on the new origin.  Well, at least for the moment.  I’m sure there’s more to come.  If it really gets even better after issue 16 I’m in for a fun ride.

The Terrifics #11 - Picking up where I left off when I was buying this monthly.  Start of a new multiverse arc as well the introduction of a new villain team.  Good jumping on point I believe.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »

Hawkman #9-12 - Pretty decent energy to this arc and the resolution on the new origin.  Well, at least for the moment.  I’m sure there’s more to come. 

Having jumped off around issue #4 and not going as far back as you, I am not sure there is more to it than what you now know. I think, I think, you get the new origin in issue #7 (I think  Wink) but I know I didn't really get into the "Truth" until issue 18 (when I jumped back in ... I think) so I am sure they discussed, if not settled in in full, before then. So yeah, I think you know the origin now ... that by adding that one word to his origin (and if you haven't got to that point yet, if you don't know, hahaha, be sure to avoid this next section) ... but from my understanding, what I believe about Hawkman now and I may have it totally wrong (Oh man I hope not)

that his .. sacrifice, would make him who he is (time after time) but now his origin includeds not just "Time" but also "Space" ... meaning that EVERY single incarnation of Hawkman that we ever saw was the same guy ... he wasn't just reincarnated here, on Earth, in a linear time line like they have always tried to tell us (or that I believed anyway), but he jumped through time AND space. Going light years away or eons in the past or both. There is no need for further explanation because that is the perfect way to handle all of the various and totally confusing Hawkman versions
I think it is cool as hell!!!!
And I am not sure how much better it will be for you after 12, but all I know is I enjoyed the hell out of what I read from 18 on. Although, to be fair, a lot of that enjoyment was based on learning what you probably have already learned.
 Cheesy Cheesy

But there is one more major thing coming for you  Smiley one that does change Hawkman "forever"

But hey, please let me know if I have that origin idea all wrong. I came in late and really just surmised a lot of what I have under that spoiler, so yeah, let me know if I am screwed and got it all wrong. Hell, for all I know that stuff, that new origin was discussed in Metal as I know it ties in.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 01:02:13 PM »

Hardcovers from the shelf

Invincible #75
Invincible #76
Invincible #77
Invincible #78
Invincible #79
Invincible #80
Invincible #81
Invincible #82

Invincible #83
Invincible #84

Comixology

Thor #8
Wolverine #6
X-Force #13

Marauders #13
Conan Handbook (reprint)
Batman #100
Adventureman #1
Firepower #4

Reading:
Champions #1

Added some DCU -

JSA #26
JSA #27
JSA #28
JSA #29
JSA #30
JSA #31
JSA #32

Legend of Swamp Thing Halloween Spectacular #1 - A decent Swampy book. I just always struggle with the swamp back drop. Not sure why. It should be the perfect "creepy" atmosphere, but I don't get that from it. Even in the show it just ... its just there.

Batman #100 - And with this, and Detective's anniversary issue of #1027, I am going to take a break away from the Bat for a few. I will jump back into him when the Batman & Catwoman mini hits (either from the start or a few months later to get that good "collected" feel), but I think I need to step away as I don't get the same joy I use to. Not Tynion's or any artists fault, I am enjoying the writing and look, but yeah, need a break.

JSA #26 - JSA #32 - Some good "comics" here. Although I absolutely hated the way Canary breaks up with Midnite ... in ... #31? There was no lead-up to anything. One issue they are walking hand in hand and then BOOM!!! She kinda just walks out on with a big FU. Not a simple and caring -

"look, this isn't about you. I have enjoyed our time together but I need to get away for awhile, do some thinking"

Ya know, something an adult would say. No, we get Midnite asking about being just "friends?", her walking out the door with her bags packed and something that goes like this -

"... someone has come back into my life and I don't know how I feel about it. I need time off from the JSA and from us."

"I thought we had something. I don't understand, Dinah"

"I don't expect you to. I'm sorry, I really am"

I don't F'n expect you to? What the hell? I don't think you are sorry at all, bitch!!???!
 Grin Grin
I know it doesn't read that badly here, but it hit me harsh.
 Cheesy

Also tried to read issue #1 of the old Giffen/DeMatties/Maquire Justice League, but let me tell ya ... you can't read that in guided view. Not at all. Horrible clipping and all kinds of wrong direction. Will send you a clip later
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 01:28:33 AM »

Hawkman #9-12 - Pretty decent energy to this arc and the resolution on the new origin.  Well, at least for the moment.  I’m sure there’s more to come. 

Having jumped off around issue #4 and not going as far back as you.....

Nope - you got it all correct!  And it is perfect.  I like what they did to "fix" all of Hawkman's origins.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 01:33:19 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

The Witcher Vol 3: Curse of Crows (Collects issues #1-5) - This was really good and introduces Yennifer who I only vaguely know from what I've seen of the Netflix show.  Now I think I need to go back and finish up the Netflix season before I get spoiled by the comic.  How backwards is that?  Of course, there's only one mini left to read on ComiXology so maybe I'll go ahead and finish this out.

Black Kiss by Howard Chaykin TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues #1-12) - This was pretty disgusting.  In a very pervert kind of way.  It all made sense why it was like that by the end but still.  Yuck.  The mystery itself was interesting to unfold but this part of the worlds underbelly I really don't think I want to visit again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:34:52 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 11:08:57 AM »

Black Kiss by Howard Chaykin TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues #1-12) - This was pretty disgusting.

Grin Grin

I have not read this, but I have heard that about it. Chaykin puts in all his sexual ... issues (?) in this book from my understanding

Never been a Chaykin fan, although I have heard his Flagg stuff is pretty good, although also a personal insight to the guy.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS