HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:47:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 7, 2020  (Read 5887 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4
   Marauders #13 - Chapter 5
The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #11
DCeased: Dead Planet #4
Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #2
The Witcher Vol 3: Curse of Crows (Collects issues #1-5)
Black Kiss by Howard Chaykin TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues #1-12)

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers of the Wasteland #4
Avengers of the Wasteland #5
Hawkeye: Freefall #5
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79
Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
Superman’s PAL Jimmy Olsen #1
The Terrifics #11

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »

Hey Jeff, be sure to read (re-read) Jimmy Olsen's section in the Leviathan Rising Special (HERE) before reading that first issue of Olsen. It ties in ... a LOT. Even though you may not think so at first. Trust me. Even though it may be confusing, it will all pay off down the road!!
 Wink

Okay, going to try and do this "list" thing again. The key is, for me, to not get frustrated if I get sidetracked or don't read as much of the list as I had intended.
 Grin

Getting the following:

Comixology

Thor #8
Wolverine #6
X-Force #13
Marauders #13
Conan Handbook (reprint)
Batman #100
Cimmerian: People of the Black Circle #2 (Have to complete it!  Undecided)
Alien: Original Screenplay #3
Norse Mythology #1 (Gaiman)
Adventureman #1
Firepower #4
American Vampire 1976 #1 (May wait on this)
Decorum #5 (May wait on this also as I am NOT reading it until it is complete)

Reading:
Legend of Swamp Thing Halloween Spectacular #1
STDS9: Too Long a Sacrifice #3 (maybe)
Champions #1

Plus going to get in more of my Invincible

That is the plan.
HA
Bet I don't make half of it!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 04:22:17 PM »

Batman #100
Justice League #54
Marauders #13
Wolverine #6
Young Justice #19
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »

Marauders #13
Wolverine #6

Hey buddy, I see you are not planning on getting (didn't get) X-Force #13. I understand why, but according to my LCS, the Wolverine issue goes directly into it and continues that story. So much so that the artist is the same on both books. I am told it is as if "the split the Wolverine book into two separate books"

I have not read it yet, so I can not verify that, but wanted you to know, just incase

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

Hey Jeff, be sure to read (re-read) Jimmy Olsen's section in the Leviathan Rising Special (HERE) before reading that first issue of Olsen. It ties in ... a LOT. Even though you may not think so at first. Trust me. Even though it may be confusing, it will all pay off down the road!!
 Wink

Thanks Perry.  Yes, I read it back in the day and I remember what happened.  But I'll flip through it just to make sure I don't miss anything.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

Flash #76, 77, 78, & 79 - Not a fan of all these "forces" but at least it looks like they may be going away.  Love the Rogues getting back together and their new high tech costumes.  Plus Black Flash and Hunter Zoloman.  Not bad.

Superman’s PAL Jimmy Olsen #1 - An ok issue.  Still not hooked but I understand this builds up to be really good.  I'm staying on board.  Especially since I'm reading it basically for free.   Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »

Marauders #13
Wolverine #6
Hey buddy, I see you are not planning on getting (didn't get) X-Force #13. I understand why, but according to my LCS, the Wolverine issue goes directly into it and continues that story.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find a copy.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 09:49:39 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

X of Swords

Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3 - The start of Wolverine's search for his sword and Perry is right, it will continue on into X-Force 13.  The story slows down a little here and helps me get me more into it.  This could have a good payoff.

X-Force #13 - Chapter 4 - Yep.  You gotta read this one as it is part two of the Wolverine story.  Also it's a self contained two-parter within the larger story.  But it also has managed to intrigue me into the larger story.  Looking forward to more.

Marauders #13 - Chapter 5 - Storm solo story as she seeks out her sword...in Wakanda.  This gathering of the swords could be more fun than the final battle itself.  Pretty decent tale of Storm coming to grips with her past in Wakanda.  There are some things that I would call BS on but if you suspend disbelief it's good.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »

What did I read?

OH yeah, Aquaman 46-50: Okay 2 of these were rereads because I forgot I had read the first 2 last year

Invisible Woman #5 -last issue of the mini. I quit liked it! Waid does Sue right.

Friendly Neighorhood Spider-man 14 - Oh also the last issue here. A little schmaltzy in watching May be cured of cancer, but I'm okay with it. A nice little series.

Jane Foster Valkryie 5-8: I like this title Perry! I just dig it.

I guess that's it!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 11:24:38 PM »

Superman’s PAL Jimmy Olsen #1 - An ok issue. 

Felt the same. Identical I would say.
I even hated how Superman had such a hard time stopping Turtle Jimmy from slamming into the statue like that
I probably would have stopped after issue 1 or maybe even 2 or 3 if I hadn't bought the entire thing as a set. I found all of them to be about the same level of "meh". But then, suddenly, this darn thing started to turn into pure gold.
Of course I did read them back to back and that may have helped greatly too ... so yeah, if you aint digging it, truly enjoying it by issue 4 or 5, it either isn't gonna hit for you or maybe it is one of those that just needs that collected run of issues to wow
 Smiley
But that ending was so good
 Grin

Invisible Woman #5 -last issue of the mini. I quit liked it! Waid does Sue right.

Really, really right!!!
 Grin
Best (Only) FF I have read in years!!

Jane Foster Valkryie 5-8: I like this title Perry! I just dig it.

Sweet. Maybe I just missed the connection or wasn't in the mood when I read the early issues. I wanted to like it, so hey, maybe I will throw it back in the pile on MU
 Smiley

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can find a copy.

Sure thing!
Although, just to make sure you don't waste some moola, you may just want to read the Wolverine issue first, see how it ends to see if you even want to get the next bit
 Grin

I have yet to read anything from this week yet, so I have no idea yet
 Undecided

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »

Picked up X-Force #13 and read it with Wolverine #6. REALLY enjoyed the art and the story.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »

Picked up X-Force #13 and read it with Wolverine #6. REALLY enjoyed the art and the story.

Heck yeah! Bogdanovic is one of my favs!! I always say he is like a poor man's Cupullo, but that seems like a slap in the face. I just like him. Heck, been loving his stuff since he was on the Chinese Superman title DC put out with their "Rebirth" line.. So darn good.

Glad it was worth the pick up  Smiley

Got some more Invincible in, but as I don't remember what issues I read before Wednesday night, I'm just (once again) throwing them all into this weeks ...

Invincible #75
Invincible #76
Invincible #77
Invincible #78
Invincible #79
Invincible #80
Invincible #81
Invincible #82
- Getting very Avengery now, with all the heroes being around. Kinda cool. Waiting for the next shoe to drop  Cheesy

Giant-Size X-Men Storm #1 - Finally got through this last night as well. It was ... okay

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

Avengers of the Wasteland #4 & 5 - A satisfying ending to the Wasteland saga.  I’m glad they didn’t drag this on for 12 issues. I think they ended it just where they needed to. Very good. I give this thumbs up overall.

Hawkeye: Freefall #5 - Nice lead up to next issues main event. Clint can’t catch a break! Looking forward to the big fight next issue.

Amazing Spider-Man #43 - The only thing good about this issue was the team up with Boomerang. Definitely not a fan of Gog. But a cute ending in a sappy kind of way.

Doctor Aphra #1 - Just ok.  A typical first issue.  Unless the new characters get more interesting I may skip out on this series.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 11:00:07 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 11:43:33 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Wolverine #6 - Chapter 3
   X-Force #13 - Chapter 4

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #43
Doctor Aphra #1

DC Universe
Flash #76
Flash #77
Flash #78
Flash #79

Hawkman #9
Hawkman #10
Hawkman #11
Hawkman #12
The Terrifics #11

The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1 - Wow.  Quite possibly the worst comic book I’ve ever read in my life.  This was terrible.  I don’t even know where to begin with all of the problems with this travesty.  It would be easier to list the things that were good.  The art.  That’s it.  Everything else was pure crap and really took away from the last series’ greatness.  A stain on the Dark Knight saga.

I was going to read the DCeased issues next but I just can’t.  No more comics tonight.  Will have to start again tomorrow when the brain has been purged.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 11:59:41 PM »

The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1 - Wow.  Quite possibly the worst comic book I’ve ever read in my life.

And THERE's the Frank Miller I was expecting
 Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS