HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:26:14 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 30, 2020  (Read 5433 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: September 30, 2020, 11:07:30 AM »

It's that magical day!!! What did you get? What looks good?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »

Here’s my list for this week!

ComiXolgy
Giant-Size X-Men: Tribute To Wein & Cockrum #1
X-Factor #4
Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1
John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #1
John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #2
John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #3
John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #4
John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #5
The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75
Batman & the Outsiders #5

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »

Batman Beyond #47... gonna miss this when it ends.
Batman: the Joker War Zone #1
Batman: Three Jokers #2
Dark Nights: Death Metal Multiverse's End #1
Justice League Annual #2
Wonder Woman #763
WW84 #1
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »

Seven Secrets #1

This was kind of interesting. Tom Taylor so I had to jump on it (and issue #2) but I am interested in what you think about this.
Without spoilers, I will say that I think issue 1 dn 2 should have been a double sized single issue. It works much better that way honestly. Not that issue 1 wasn't solid, at least to me  Grin, but haven read them both at the same time, I do think it made issue 1 more rounded, a fuller, more satisfying read. If that makes sense

Art is almost like that Naruto stuff (I think I spelled that right) with ... something added to make it just different enough, but I can't grasp what that is yet.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:49 PM »

Added two more.

ComiXolgy
ADD:  Batman: Three Jokers #1
ADD:  Batman: Three Jokers #2

X-Factor #4
Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1
The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman: Three Jokers #1
X-Factor #4

Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1
The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

Batman: Three Jokers #1 & 2 - This is really good.  I’m not necessarily a fan of the premise, but Johns does his stellar job of writing.  Especially when it comes to Jason Todd and Batgirl.  Looking forward to the next issue.

Giant-Size X-Men: Tribute To Wein & Cockrum #1 - Nice tribute to the creators of the new X-Men.  I liked seeing the interpretations from all of the different artists.

X-Factor #4 - Hmmm.  Not sure I’m going to enjoy this crossover.  This issue sets some things up but I’m not hooked yet.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:46 PM »

I just read ... well technically last night I read ... what is probably my favorite book of 2020. And that comes with me holding pretty high thoughts on some of my old favorites like Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Thor, while also loving some of the newer stuff from Tom Taylor like Injustice: Year Zero (Great Joker in this puppy), DCeased (the first run most of all) and Suicide Squad. And heck, while I'm on DC ... that is not to mention my renewed love of Hawkman (issue 18-27  Grin) ... even with all the love just mentioned, this book blew me away.

But I'll get to that in a minute
 Grin

Giant-Size X-Men Tribute - *Had to take a peek. Interesting and kinda cool
Immortal Hulk #36
Immortal Hulk #37
- Oh so good. I can't stay away!!!
Immortal Hulk #0 - *Another read on the cheap, but it's mostly reprints anyway
Immortal She-Hulk #1 - This one was worth the money. As much a part of the Hulk story as Hulk!
X-Factor #4 - Man, I think most of what I want to say will have to come later, maybe in its own thread. I do understand what Jeff is saying, but there are also some cool "hickman" ideas that I enjoy. Does that make this good? That is the question

Batman: Three Jokers #2 - I don't know how they are going to end this story with in more issue  Shocked
Injustice: Year Zero #7 - This has been really good but Uh-Oh, Joker done messed up now  Grin

Seven Secrets #1
Seven Secrets #2
- As I stated before, somewhere  Cheesy, this is pretty interesting and I enjoy it but ... but it would have been so much better combining these two into one issue. If you don't know the setup, It is basically (the gist if you will, no true spoilers)
there are these 7 secrets of the world, we don't know what they are, but each secret has a pair of protectors. A "Holder" and a "Keeper" and the first two issues gets us caught up to current time.
Basically that is it (other then what all happens and one thing I left out that is a spoiler Smiley) but that is why I think both issues should have been one. They give us a nice story and by the end of #2, we are essentially beginning our adventure. So give us all that in one

Okay, for the comic you all must rush out (or log into Comixology Grin) to get -

The Department of Truth #1 - I have always like James Tynion as a writer. Even when I didn't enjoy what he was/is doing on Batman, it is still plain to see that he has the chops. Well this book does nothing but prove that fact (as if he needed to do so) This story, about conspiracy theories, is just a fantastic piece of comic. The art by Martin Simmonds, who brings a style that is like a combo of Walt Simonson and Ben Templesmith, is a sketchy style that is makes this comic perfection. I mean this look is perfect, absolutely perfect, for this book. When you are reading a comic about conspiracies, a crystal clear art style would almost be as bad to me as having Ed McGuinness on Hellblazer. Like Spaghetti flavored Ice Cream. And that last page?!?!?!?! HOLY SHIT!?!?!
I was going to make some conspiracy joke here, but as I want to stress how much I loved this I am going to remain serous and just strongly suggest that everyone try this book.
A Perry Must Read
9 outta 10 Flat Earths
  Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »

Department of Truth is on my Wish List for the 30 day price drop.  I’ll get back to you on it in 30.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Factor #4

Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1

The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

Ascender #12 - Good issue; back to the plight of the parents.  Good battle with the vampires. And a final page which seems to promise the return of another character.

Black Magic #12 & 13 - New story with Rucka’s witches.  So far it’s good. Ramping up the villain/villains here.  I’m onboard for another arc.

Seven Secrets #1 - Like it.  I love an organization of secrets with secrets within secrets. Similar to Saga with the narrative being told by the characters child adds to the mystery without seeming like a Saga copy.  Thumbs up.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 03:04:21 AM »

I read Incredible Hulk 33 & 34 SO DAMNED GREAT!!!! I love this stuff. I should hold out for when they produce this in an oversized deluxe hardcover. I want to live another life where I just get to read this again and again. AND they do what I loved happened with James Robinson's Starman; giving Bennett time to catch up, fill in issues tell a different part of the story, or from a different character. Or, like in Hulk's mind, they use a different artist. Really helps make those elements stand out, AND keep the book on time, and always with permanent penciller Joe Bennett. Masterful!!

Fantastic Four 17-19 : This ends the Point of Origin arc. Another screwing around of a character(s) origin to put a new wrinkle in. You know what? On a plotted piece of paper, this is a neat idea. IN a fully realized script by Slott? Gah, it's just poor, boring, and without...life, I guess. It feels like a kids comic book. Okay Jim, you ass, comics should be for kids. No...not really anymore! This reads like a 5 years old junior Marvel adventure book. It's just weak sauce. I quit it now. I gave it a really long go, but no longer.

Justice League 16 (yeah, WAY back) I'm trying to get back into all of Snyder's DOOM stuff...but it's so dense...and hard...to feel...up to ...speed with it. Ugh, dragging along for me. I'll get there yet!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 03:06:39 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Factor #4

Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1

The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

Hawkman #5-8 - The Atom! Hawkman’s first life! Krypton!  All of this was in these four issues!  The two part Atom story was the least fun but it leads to the next two issues which were really good.  This series definitely gets better with each issue.

Flash #73-75 - Great Year One reimagining of Flash’s origin.  I loved that the Turtle was the first villain. Made him out to be a much bigger threat.  I liked Porters art on the Flash as well.  Especially when compared to the story in #75 with Scot Kollins art.  Blech! I hope Porter stays on the book.

Batman & the Outsiders #5 - Finally get to pick this back up.  I enjoyed this issue and getting back into this story.  Great art and the panel on page 15 of Black Lightning “lighting up” just wowed me. Happy to be back on board now that DC Universe has caught up to me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »

First of all ... I just saw where my damn typing fingers went off on their own again ...

Batman: Three Jokers #2 - I don't know how they are going to end this story with in more issue

That of course was suppose to be "One more issue".
I don't know how they are going to end this story with ONE more issue (and I really don't)
 Smiley

Decided to get back to some of my Invincible reading, I need to finish this dang it!

Invincible #71
Invincible #72
Invincible #73
Invincible #74
- More scanned issue 71 to get a recap than anything, so I shouldn't really count it but as I was away for so long I needed the refresher.
So hitting the big #75 next and, hopefully, the last of the war stuff. Not that I haven't enjoyed it because I have, greatly, but I think if it wraps in the next issue it will be a good time to do so. Loved the brutality though
 Cheesy

Get back to Jimbo's and Jeff's comments in a bit.
Time to walk the dog!
(not a euphemism)
 Cheesy Cheesy

Giant-Size X-Men Tribute
Immortal Hulk #36
Immortal Hulk #37

Immortal Hulk #0
Immortal She-Hulk #1
X-Factor #4

Injustice: Year Zero #7

Seven Secrets #1
Seven Secrets #2

The Department of Truth #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Factor #4

Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1

The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

John Carpenter's Tales of Science Fiction: REDHEAD #1-5 - Another good Sci-Fi tale from Duane Swierczynski.  A little too timely since it involves a woman who is patient zero and everyone who come's within 9 feet of her dies.  She goes on the run since certain high ups think the way to contain this is to kill her.  I enjoyed this journey with Marnie and reccomend it.  Another thumbs up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 01:18:52 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Factor #4

Ascender #12
Black Magic #12
Black Magic #13
Seven Secrets #1

The Witcher TPB Vol 1

DC Universe
Hawkman #5
Hawkman #6
Hawkman #7
Hawkman #8
Flash #73
Flash #74
Flash #75

The Witcher TPB Vol 1 - Not bad. Overall I enjoyed this.  Not as confusing as the Netflix show.  I think I’ll pick up another volume.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »

The Witcher TPB Vol 1 - Not bad. Overall I enjoyed this.  Not as confusing as the Netflix show. 

They screwed up with the Witcher show by writing the episodes out of linear order. In other words, after the first episode, they jump backwards in time, until the penultimate episode or so, with no indication they are doing that, so if you never read Witcher, you have no idea what the heck is going on. Half of the viewership got lost in the story becuae they did a total shit job of explaining the time jumps.

I think, if I remember, 5 of the first six or seven episodes, happened way, way in the past, but you don't know that as a new viewer.

It was stupid as hell the way they did it.  Angry

That aside, the show does end okay, and was worth it ... if you knew what the hell you were seeing.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS