HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:00:07 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 9, 2020  (Read 4085 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 09, 2020, 10:23:06 PM »

Hopefully even though I'm not finishing my lists, I'm reading more than I'm adding on.   Undecided

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3 - 2/3rd through this one already.
Suicide Squad #8
Strange Adventures #5
DCeased: Dead Planet #3
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #9
X-Men #11
Wolverine #5
X-Force #12
Maruaders #12
That Texas Blood #2
The Boys: Dear Becky #3
Undiscovered Country #7
Adventureman #3
Something is Killing the Children #10

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Dare Devil #19
Atlantis Attacks #2
Guardians of the Galaxy #2
Marvel’s Black Widow Prelude #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Falcon & Winter Soldier #1
Force Works 2020
Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1
Spider-Man Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Dr Strange Surgeon Supreme #4
Strange Academy #1

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »

Batman Beyond #45 (back issue)
Death Metal #3
Death Metal Trinity Crisis #1
Flash #761
Superman #25
Wonder Woman #762

We are Humanoids FCBD 2020
Mean Girls Senior Year FCBD 2020
Zoo Patrol Squad FCBD 2020
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »

Didn't think you did the Death Metal stuff, Rodney?
(Maybe I'm thinking of something else)

Got a couple issues read last night. Well, I got a couple issues that would have been thrown across the room had they been physical copies perused last night.
 Angry

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #9 - T'was okay.
Hawkman #27 - Dang I love the art here. First part of the final three issues of the series featuring the JSA and a little bit of "a surprise in the mirror" that will be interesting to see play out. Sad this is ending in two more, but man, again, the last 10 or so issues of this title was more than worth it if you're a Hawky (obviously I have no idea what Hawkman fans are called)
 Grin

Oh, before I get to the X stuff, I do want to say that I may have been wrong on the importance of the Cable title and its tie-in to X of Swords. It seems like it, but after seeing the preview of some of the characters from that series, I am no longer sure. So Jeff, and others, maybe wait on it? I don't know ...
 Undecided
Anyway ...

X-Factor #3 Ugh, forgot this was set in Mojoverse. Wouldn't have wasted my time if I'd remembered  Angry
X-Force #12 - Ummm, some problems, but, yeah, it was okay I guess ... I don't know.
Marauders #12 - What in the ...? The art in this book is precisely why I stopped preordering issues. Had I known that the art was like this, I never would have bothered with this issue. One of my favorite titles killed by the art. Destroyed. This was not enjoyable to my eyes at all. It looks like it was done in crayon almost. Didn't even finish it. Heck, I have no idea what happened as the art just made me not want to read it. This makes me wonder if I want to continue with any of the X-books other than X proper after Swords now if this is the stuff they use for fill-ins. NO!!
 Angry
I will try to read this again, knowing what I know about the art now, but it hit me hard last night. Didn't even ... bah!!!
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »

I am not reading EVERY Death Metal item that comes out but want to know the basic premise when the Speed Metal issue comes out. The Wally West/Dr. Manhattan is odd.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:21:55 AM by Gay Titan » Logged
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:13:59 AM »

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3
Suicide Squad #8
Strange Adventures #5

X-Men #11
Wolverine #5
X-Force #12
Maruaders #12
That Texas Blood #2
Undiscovered Country #7
Adventureman #3

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Dare Devil #19
Atlantis Attacks #2
Force Works 2020
Spider-Man Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Strange Academy #1

Outlaw Territory Vol 3 - Finally finished this 300 page Anthology!  It was also a good one.  I enjoyed the many 5 page short stories this western presented.  Thumbs up.

Suicide Squad #8 - really not liking how Ted Kord is being portrayed.  But the Aeryes origin was an interesting story for this one.

Strange Adventures #5 - ok, I’m ready for some answers.  Hopefully that will come next issue.

DCeased: Dead Planet #3 - another solid issue.  Love the Justice League Dark aspect of this mini. Of course we always have to vilify rich people.   Roll Eyes

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #9 - Art is too cartoonish.  Just an ok issue.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »

Of course we always have to vilify rich people.   Roll Eyes

Spoken like a rich person  Grin

Just kidding, just kidding  Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy

I will hit ya up in a bit
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »

Of course we always have to vilify rich people.   Roll Eyes

Spoken like a rich person  Grin

Just kidding, just kidding  Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy

I will hit ya up in a bit
 Smiley

Ha. Don’t I wish!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3
Suicide Squad #8
Strange Adventures #5

X-Men #11
Wolverine #5
X-Force #12
Maruaders #12

That Texas Blood #2
Undiscovered Country #7
Adventureman #3

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Dare Devil #19
Atlantis Attacks #2
Force Works 2020
Spider-Man Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Strange Academy #1

X-Men #11 - I’ll be glad when this Empyre crap is over but I did like how Hickman used Magneto here.  A fun read.

Wolverine #5 - Not a bad ending to the cliff hanger.  I’m good with moving this to MU now.

X-Force #12 - this made me want to go back and buy all the X-comics I’ve put off so I can get the full effect of X of Swords.  But I will say there is a gaping plot hole.  You can’t Say your going after all the Russian mutants and not go after Magic.  And doing so would literally break all hell loose.  That’s not the story they want to tell, I get it, but it still bugs me it’s not addressed.

Maruaders #12 - Ouch.  Perry was right about this art but I made it through the book.  Not a great issue story wise either.  And why would you spoil the last page reveal by putting it on the cover?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 02:35:57 AM »

wooooooOOOOOOWEEEEEEE!!!!

Got that new tablet, 10" screen, got the Marvel and DC comic apps on there (just remembered, I forgot my comixology app! I've got, like, 14 trades on there to read yet!!!)

Boot up the Marvel app, it F***ING WORKS! YEEEBOY!!! No cutting out, no restarting/rebooting the app or 7 year old tablet!

Turn on the DC app, shows work, I fly through the app, it works fast, I load up Hawkman 14-

Nothing. Black Screen.

Check that, a 2 mm line of color at the top of the screen. Wat. da. fug.

I check for updates that need to happen after install. None. I check visual configurations/recommendations. Nope, should be all fine. Unintall/reinstall. NOTHING SEEN. I'M SO DAMNED PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!

I try downloading an issue. Download works. It's saved, I open, NOTHING!!!

BUT

The download asks for HD or SD quality.

Hmm....

I switch to SD.

BAMN!!! Picture is there! Is there any loss of visual or compression or digitizing in SD? NOPE I''VE GOT MY COMICS.

And IMMEDIATELY AFTER DOING THIS, I read that Bendis was gone in December! A SIGN!!!

I do apologize some for the nonsense of this post! LMAO!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 02:45:11 AM »

Oh yeah, I READ COMICS

Hawkman 14

Daredevil 14-19 : So good. Sooooo GOOD. Kingpin feels a bit broken too fast for me, and too complete. Like, his will was just destroyed by the Stronwym's like nothing.

2099 Alpha & Omega, Spider-man 2099, Punisher 2099, Amazing spider-man 36- Blech. I found this all to be crap. A weak ass soft reboot of 2099 for...what? to be truly honest, for what? All that is truly awesome still from 2099 was Miguel O'hara and Doom 2099. And what they did was send off the 'true' Miguel to retire, and gave the Ultimate rendition to his new Miguel. Don't care. Carry on I guess.

Immortal Hulk 28-30: I SO have to buy this in trades/max hardcover, some collected format. I loved the moment of Savage Hulk taking over and confusing...Joe? Devil Hulk? I'm not even sure anymore, but Joe Bennett (still deep condolences for the loss of your son), makes the best truly monstrous Hulk I so love to visually see as the monster he should be.

and if I never said King Thor 1-4 was superb. A wonderful run, and end, and closure for the writer Jason Aaron on his entire run. So glad to have been a part of it. Ask me 20 years ago if Thor would turn into one of my very favorite Marvel characters, and I'd be telling I don't see that happening!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »

Cheesy

Welcome back Jimmy
 Smiley

I am not reading EVERY Death Metal item that comes out but want to know the basic premise when the Speed Metal issue comes out.

Ahhh, yeah, I got ya

The Wally West/Dr. Manhattan is odd.

You are preaching!!!!

So I've been wanting to try the new JMS series from AWA, that is basically like his older series Rising Stars, and as there is only one issue left ... as I THOUGHT there was only one issue left, I decided to do what I like to do and jump in to get caught up right before the end. Of course I screwed it up with the issue count as is a six issue mini, so yeah, the best laid plans ...
 Cheesy

The Resistance #1
The Resistance #2
The Resistance #3
The Resistance #4
- Started out pretty cool, although yes, very redundant to what he wrote prior in Rising Stars (which I need to go back and finish ...  Cheesy Cheesy) but man, got very, very preachy towards the middle. And I say that as a 100% hater of a certain person in the White House (and not, not because of what "they" say about him, but because of what he himself says and does. What he has always said and done) but I am at the point where I don't need to see all the other peoples views and thoughts when it is the same as mine and it makes no difference ... yet.

And this is NOT a "keep politics out of comics" rant as they have always been in comics and they will always remain, but it is just too much at times is all. Especially about this guy in the big chair. Not to say I wouldn't love to see what is set to happen in this book actually happen in real life, but ...
 Grin

But honestly, if this didn't feel like such a retread of a story this same writer had done already, the problem above may not have hit me as harshly. But feeling like I have read this before and am just reading it over again, but now with added overt political sentiment, kinda just seems uninteresting.
 Undecided

Hawkman #27

X-Factor #3
X-Force #12
Marauders #12

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 01:52:51 AM »

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3
Suicide Squad #8
Strange Adventures #5

X-Men #11
Wolverine #5
X-Force #12
Maruaders #12

That Texas Blood #2
Undiscovered Country #7
Adventureman #3

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Dare Devil #19
Atlantis Attacks #2
Force Works 2020
Spider-Man Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Strange Academy #1

That Texas Blood #2 - Good 2nd issue.  The mystery around the victim and the characters grows.

The Boys: Dear Becky #3 - Nice issue.  Glad I'm reading this the same time as The Boys season 2 is unfolding.  Keeps me going until the next episode drops.

Undiscovered Country #7 - Ok.  Now THAT is interesting!  Got some origin info as well in this one.

Adventureman #3 - I'm starting to get lost.  I think we need some explanations to start happening to help.  But I still liked the issue.  Just ready for some answers.

Something is Killing the Children #10 - Man these issues read so fast.  Right when it gets exciting...to be continued!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 03:52:36 AM »

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3
Suicide Squad #8
Strange Adventures #5

X-Men #11
Wolverine #5
X-Force #12
Maruaders #12

That Texas Blood #2
Undiscovered Country #7
Adventureman #3

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Dare Devil #19
Atlantis Attacks #2

Force Works 2020 #1
Spider-Man Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40
Strange Academy #1

Dare Devil #18 & 19 - Two great issues.  As the search for the kidnapped child comes to an end the mob war escalates quickly.  Great action and the next issue looks to be really exciting.

Atlantis Attacks #2 - Love seeing the original Agents of Atlas again.  Not a bad story and I should have seen that coming....but I won't spoil.

Guardians of the Galaxy #2 -  Shocked   Shocked   Shocked  -  Wow!  Great issue!!!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:59:06 PM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS