HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:34:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perpetual Grace, LTD  (Read 4354 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 24, 2019, 02:44:06 AM »

Started a thread for this since there's a couple of us watching this.  I started watching it based on Perry's recommendation.

I've made it through the first 5 episodes, which is the halfway mark.

Man, Ben Kingsley is something else in this show!  All the acting is good.  This is some crazy stuff going on!  Luis Guzman as a Mexican Sheriff almost steals the show.  He cracks me up.  The things that happen in this show just makes you say OMG several times an episode.

My only complaint is that some of the characters actions don't make sense, even for that character.  A minor complaint and I normally just over look it because I like how crazy this is.

Thumbs up so far!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »

It is a great show, although this last episode I watched (episode 8 "Fiveever") was more like reading a Bendis book than most Bendis books.
 Cheesy
The show has a "repeat" dialog style to it as it is and it works very well in the context of the show (pretty much a bunch of smart morons  Cheesy), but this last one was cranked up to 11

It was also the most sorrowful one. Shows more about ... a certain thing. You'll get there, I don't want to say.

I would also love to know what character hit you that way, Jeff. I have a severe habit of finding stupid actions in movies and tv shows and it just pisses the wife off. Want to see if I missed it or if I agree  Cheesy I will say, if you are still just finished with episode 5, that you are getting ready to watch would I think is my favorite episode: episode 6 "When Doves Cry". Something about that one just hit me more than most, with its spectrum of humor and sadness.

The entire show is sadness personified anyway, but that is what makes the dry humor parts so damn funny for me.

Like the kid
with the very limited knowledge of words due to lack of schooling, because he has to run the pawn shop for his depressed dad that drinks all day as he misses his wife so badly.
I mean that shit, especially on the surface, is some sad shit, but this show just makes it all seem funny as hell at times.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »

Finished episode 6 last night before  bed.  I can see why this is your favorite.  Very good tension and drama.  I really noticed how the dialogue is so slow and purposeful. Really makes you hang on each word.  Then they repeat just slow as the first time.  Adds to that tension.

As far as my complaint, I think it more in regards to different characters doing dumb things when that character seems smarter.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »

As far as my complaint, I think it more in regards to different characters doing dumb things when that character seems smarter.

Ha, I get ya! I hadn't noticed anything glaring for me ... this time  Cheesy I feel lucky to have escaped it and I am sure the wife is happy for once.
Wow
That doesn't sound right
 Cheesy
Hope they weren't too bad for you. I 100% know how that can just ruin a show.

Heck, you may be done after episode 10  Cheesy We just watched the tenth and last episode of season one and not only did it's ending make me mad (which is good I guess, when a show makes you get the feels) I had hoped that this was a one and done series, but nope, looks like this needs one more go. Or I hope it has one more go! It could be left this way I guess, but dang, as much as I wanted one season only of Perpetual Grace, this show better come back for at least one more season now. It can't leave me like that!!!! Even if it was an amazing group photo
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:47:04 PM »

Episode 9

When New Leaf was first introduced in the early episodes I was not a fan.  But somehow he very slowly started to grow on me.  By the end of this episode he became my favorite character.  Throw in what the little boy did and this is my favorite episode.

Episode 10

Holy crap!!!!!!!  What a great season ending!  I’m a little more satisfied with this than Perry was but I’m sure he is dying to see a season 2 as much as I am.  My favorite quote of the series was in this. “He’s not a Priest.  He’s a violent Father Time.”
I did not see Hector getting killed by Pa coming. Wow.  I’m just as blown away as he was.

So much to talk about.  The slowness continues but it pays off. Loved this show.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:23:04 PM »

I did not see Hector getting killed by Pa coming. Wow.  I’m just as blown away as he was.

TOTALLY shocked me and the wife.

Almost killed me when Pa replied to Hector after he asked -
"Why did you have to shoot me in the chest?"
"Because that is where your heart is"

... that just sent my head and heart spinning. Just when ya think, maybe "Pa" is not as bad as ya thought, after first thinking he might not be too bad, to thinking he wasn't bad, then thinking he was, then thinking he wasn't, then ...  Cheesy ... that act just sent me down a path of 100% sure Pa is an sob.
Dang.
 Undecided

I really loved the entire show, but was hoping I would not have to add yet another series to my list for next year  Grin
Also did not like the Hector thing, especially after the cutting and moving of the tree earlier. I thought they had something, ya know? Thought they really bonded, but that is what ya get.  Grin It wasn't a bad writing element, just a sad one for us fans is all. That is why I didn't like that part. It was rather well done, like most of it. And yes, I agree with your thoughts on New Leaf. I had liked the character at first but quickly grew tired of him, but I think all his Lens Crafters talk brought me back around. When he would talk about how he was trying to deal with running over his parents with a hauler I would lose it.
 Cheesy

And I saw that a Steve Conrad wrote and created this show ... that is New Leaf's (Chris Conrad's) brother.
and New Leaf looks so much different without his hair.

Oh, and long live the Special Boys!!!!
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 01:55:55 AM »

Oh, and long live the Special Boys!!!!

Sadly, not as long as we had hoped.  I just found out that Epix cancelled Perpetual Grace, Ltd. but plan to air a conclusion since the first season ended in a cliffhanger.

But apparently, that was news to the creators......

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/perpetual-grace-ltd-season-two-epix-wants-to-wrap-series-with-short-season/

https://deadline.com/2020/01/perpetual-grace-ltd-canceled-wrap-limited-run-conclusion-no-second-season-epix-1202846757/

I'm pretty bummed.  This was a great series. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS