HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:10:20 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 24, 2020  (Read 3108 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 24, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »

My backlog is getting bad again!

ComiXolgy
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #4
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #5
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #6
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #7
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #8
20XX #4
Five Years #10
Plunge #4
The Flash Annual #3 (Suicide Squad crossover)
Suicide Squad #6
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #6
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #7
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #8
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #9

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #8
Dare Devil #9
Dare Devil #10
Invaders #11
Invaders #12
History of the Marvel Universe #5
King Thor #3
2099 Alpha #1
Fantastic Four 2099 #1
Invisible Woman #5
Fantastic Four: Grand Design #2
Old Man Quill #12

———————————————————————-

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 11:34:40 PM »

Batman #93
Empyre #0
Flash #756
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »

ComiXolgy
20XX #4
Five Years #10
Plunge #4
Suicide Squad #6

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #8
Dare Devil #9
Dare Devil #10
Invaders #11
Invaders #12

King Thor #3
2099 Alpha #1
Fantastic Four 2099 #1
Invisible Woman #5
Old Man Quill #12

———————————————————————-

Dare Devil #8, 9, & 10 - Good arc with changes for both Matt and Kingpin. Thumbs up.

Invaders #11 & 12 - I wish this would have been an ongoing instead of a 12 issue maxi-series. Twelve issues was too long for this one story.

History of the Marvel Universe #5 - Not sure why I picked this up but it was interesting getting a summary of the 2000’s.  A lot happened in that decade.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »

Well I did one of the famous ghost postings as I do not see what I had (attempted to) post yesterday, so I will try once again ... if I can remember the two I had read prior, that is.
 Grin

And I can't. I can only remember one as of now. Dang it!!

Batman #93 - This is total crap. Not only does it show exactly who (or "what" more precisely) the Designer is (and it is NO surprise at all), it also has Catwoman do ... no ... just no. And the stuff with Bruce's money? BAH. But the Catwoman stuff really got to me. And sure, it will be twisted around soon enough, but just ... no

OH YEAH, Now I remember

Adventureman #1 - I was uber excited about this new Fraction/Dodson book as it is right up my alley plot/story wise. A book based on the pulp heroes of yesteryear? Especially my boy Doc Savage and the Spider? Hell yes!! But ... it was just too much too fast for me. Far too many characters, even in this extra-sized (almost triple sized) issue. Too many sisters to try and remember, too many heroes, too many villians and a little too jumpy with the flow had me wanting this to slow down a tad.
I am still on of course, not letting a pulp comic go that easily, And Fractions back matter about his love of Doc Savage forces my hand by itself  Grin, but hopefully the "adventure" will begin to be a little better paced now.

Now, as for last night ...

Batman: The Smile Killer - A surprise. Tying into Lemire's Killer Smile mini. Pretty eerie, but not a must
Question: Death of Vic Sage #3 - Not bad, really, but I think we could have skipped this era of the shift
Suicide Squad #6 - FINALLY. The first "hells yeah" book of the week. Tom Taylor is rapidly becoming one of my favorite writers. His dialog is fantastic (he knows the characters and their voices match), his flow is perfection (the story flows as it should, not jumpy), his action is fun (this was a great one) and his humor is not evasive (just the right amount). Never ... and I mean never, ever, would I ever thought I would be putting a Suicide Squad title as one of my top 5 titles being published, but here we are.
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:35 AM »

Batman #93 - This is total crap. Not only does it show exactly who (or "what" more precisely) the Designer is (and it is NO surprise at all), it also has Catwoman do ... no ... just no. And the stuff with Bruce's money? BAH. But the Catwoman stuff really got to me. And sure, it will be twisted around soon enough, but just ... no

Yeah, I was enjoying this arc til this issue. Loved the Riddler action, but the dialogue was too wordy and excessive. 
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »

Yeah, I was enjoying this arc til this issue. Loved the Riddler action, but the dialogue was too wordy and excessive. 

Agree. Hope it turns back around
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 05:53:36 PM »

ComiXolgy
20XX #4
Five Years #10
Plunge #4
Suicide Squad #6

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #8
Dare Devil #9
Dare Devil #10
Invaders #11
Invaders #12

King Thor #3
2099 Alpha #1

Fantastic Four 2099 #1
Invisible Woman #5
Old Man Quill #12

———————————————————————-

King Thor #3 - I love Thor’s grand daughters and they get a lot of focus in this issue. Fun seeing this wind down full circle.

2099 Alpha #1 - Wow! This was a lot of fun!  I’ll have to go back and add the Amazing Spider-Man issues that kicks off all of this 2099 stuff.  I’m excited about an event again!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »

ComiXolgy
20XX #4
Five Years #10
Plunge #4
Suicide Squad #6

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #8
Dare Devil #9
Dare Devil #10
Invaders #11
Invaders #12

King Thor #3
2099 Alpha #1

Fantastic Four 2099 #1
Invisible Woman #5
Old Man Quill #12

———————————————————————-

Fantastic Four 2099 #1 - Well I didn’t see that coming! Wasn’t a great read up until the end.  That made it worth the read.

Invisible Woman #5 - Fun ending to a good mini. Wouldn’t mind this being an ongoing.

Fantastic Four: Grand Design #2 - Lots of good stuff here. Galactus, the Beyonder, Namor, Dr Doom, Adam Warlock, silver Surfer, and more!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »

Couple of things, first off I don't remember Kirkman being so much of a Chris Claremont but he totally is. I think back at the Walking Dead which is almost non-stop words and then re-reading this title, yeah, the dude writes ... a lot. Now I'm not saying that is bad, just saying I don't remember this title being as wordy as it is. Still, again, not a bad thing, its good bang for the buck to me, just didn't remember it is all.

Secondly, each issue I think okay, that was where I left off and then I start the next issue and BAM, memory jolt  Grin Oh yeah, I did read this as well. I thought it was vol 3 that I stopped, but must have read up to issue 40 something (vol 4 of the hardcovers) before stopping. I swear the goal post keeps moving!
 Cheesy

Five Years #10 - What can I say other than I am looking forward to more of Terry's stuff  Undecided
Invincible #33
Invincible #34
Invincible #35
Invincible #36
Invincible #37
- Just got D.A. Sinclair (the Reanimen creator) captured and the Govt made the offer  Shocked

Empyre: Avengers #0 - Actually not a bad "0" issue. Good recap. Now we get Slott's FF #0 issue next.  Undecided
Thor #5  Shocked Well now ... didn't see that one coming. And Marvel just did A Marvel Universe History too  Cheesy
They may have to edit an entry or two before the collected editions go out!!
I mean, WHAT!?!?!?
 Shocked
And it has kinda been there since ... well ... a long time too. Come on Thor #6

Adventureman #1

Batman #93
Batman: The Smile Killer
Question: Death of Vic Sage #3
Suicide Squad #6

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS