HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:25:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ruby Rose Exits the CW’s ‘Batwoman’  (Read 2107 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: May 20, 2020, 05:08:55 PM »

This is a shocker: Ruby Rose, the star of the CW’s freshman drama series Batwoman, is leaving the Warner Bros. TV/Berlanti Prods. drama after one season. The series, which already has been renewed for a second season, will continue with the title role getting recast.

“I have made the very difficult decision to not return to Batwoman next season,” Rose said in a statement “This was not a decision I made lightly as I have the utmost respect for the cast, crew and everyone involved with the show in both Vancouver and in Los Angeles.”

Neither Rose, nor the Batwoman producers would speak to the reasons for the actress’ exit so early into the series’ life, though sources indicated that it is not related to the stunt injury she sustained during filming of Season 1, which left her facing paralysis and needing emergency surgery.

Rose, a movie actress and a DJ, was a major get when she was cast as Batwoman in summer 2018, originally for the 2018-19 Arrowverse crossover, and later for a full-fledged pilot, written by Caroline Dries based on the DC characters, which went to series, executive produced by Dries and Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Rose acknowledged the series’ creative team as well as the heads of the CW, Mark Pedowitz, and Warner Bros.’ TV operation, Peter Roth.

“I am beyond appreciative to Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Caroline Dries for not only giving me this incredible opportunity, but for welcoming me into the DC universe they have so beautifully created,” she said. “Thank you Peter Roth and Mark Pedowitz and the teams at Warner Bros. and The CW who put so much into the show and always believed in me. Thank you to everyone who made season one a success – I am truly grateful.”

In a joint statement, Berlanti Prods. and WBTV reaffirmed their commitment to Batwoman and to casting another LGBTQ actress in the groundbreaking role. Because the CW is delaying the launch of their regular lineup, including Season 2 of Batwoman, until January over the coronavirus-related production shutdown, the producers have time for an extensive recasting process.

“Warner Bros. Television, The CW and Berlanti Productions thank Ruby for her contributions to the success of our first season and wish her all the best,” the two companies said. “The studio and network are firmly committed to Batwoman’s second season and long-term future, and we — along with the show’s talented creative team — look forward to sharing its new direction, including the casting of a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”

Orange Is the New Black alumna Rose returned to the small screen with Batwoman, playing the first gay lead character — male or female — of a live-action superhero series. Her character came out to Gotham City in an episode of the series’ freshman season.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »

Tried episode one, in the hopes that it wouldn't be like another CW teen drama. It wasn't ... it was worse.
The trappings of this show was ... well... again, I only made it partway through the first episode and I could tell it wasn't for me. I think it wasn't for too many others as well as its getting a measly 3.5 on IMDB.

And Rose won't say it, but I can almost guarantee the reason she left was to try and salvage her career. It would have been dead for years to come had she stayed on for season 2.
 Cheesy
I hope they hire a brand new actor that can use this show as the stepping stone it should be, to build a better career, than use up another semi-established decent actors abilities.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »

Seems the reasoning was "an ill fit between her and production"
her leaving was agreed by both parties as she hated the long hours that the lead role demanded so much that, from the one side, she was being a real pain in the ass on set. Now, if true I have to ask myself was she purposely being a pain because of the role and the low luster accolades for the show and used that as a way out or was she really just tired of lead role requirements? Either way, that kind of reasoning, again if true, will only hurt her chances going down the line. I mean, who wants to hire or work with someone that complains about the acting hours all the time? Especially when you are the "star".

Of course maybe she will state otherwise. Not about it being an ill fit, as she has kinda agreed with that aspect, but about being a pain? Maybe her side of it will be different? I stand by my statements above
 Cheesy Cheesy

And of course my feelings on the shows new lead still stands.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS