HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:25:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 1, 2020 - APRIL FOOLS!  (Read 4959 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 01, 2020, 04:11:55 PM »

We'll it's no joke that none of my new X-Titles released today.  But that's ok because I have plenty to catch up on!  You'd think I'd learn since I've had roll titles over the past two weeks.  Nope!  Still going for the big list!!

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Something is Killing the Children #1
Suicide Squad #1
Five Years #9
Birthright #42
Hidden Society #1
The Question: The Death of Vic Sage #2
Robin 80th Anniversary #1
Batman: The Adventures Continue #1 - The Animated series creators!
Satellite Sam # 6
Satellite Sam # 7
Satellite Sam # 8
Satellite Sam # 9
Satellite Sam # 10

Marvel Unlimited
Guardians of the Galaxy #9
Marvel Comics Presents #9
New Mutansts: War Children #1
Thanos #6
Wolverine Annual #1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:57:36 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

X-O Manowar #1 - Had to give this a try, the return of one of Valiants top guys, and while I see what they are going for, getting Aric in with a new love/group and setting up some new bad guys, this issue was, sadly, a horrible mess. Jumbled as hell. Story beats all out of sync. Hopefully the problems will soon sort themselves out, but boy are they front and center here. I would've preferred them to skip this entire issue and start with issue #2. We can find all this information out at a later time and it would have, probably, worked out better
Art was fine, not great, but better than serviceable (other than a confusing panel with the alien ship that looked too muddled).
Over all, this issue rates out at a 4 (outta 10) dead Rudolphs for me 
Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 06:37:30 PM »

X-O Manowar #1......Over all, this issue rates out at a 4 (outta 10) dead Rudolphs for me 
Undecided

I hate to hear this.  I was looking forward to this.  Of course, I have learned my lesson about giving new series at least 3 issues to get on their feet.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »

X-O Manowar #1......Over all, this issue rates out at a 4 (outta 10) dead Rudolphs for me 
Undecided

I hate to hear this.  I was looking forward to this.  Of course, I have learned my lesson about giving new series at least 3 issues to get on their feet.

Sure, me too, but now that it may be delayed ... But yeah, I'm gonna give a couple more, I just hoped for better is all.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 02:02:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1
Five Years #9
Birthright #42
Hidden Society #1
Satellite Sam # 6
Satellite Sam # 7
Satellite Sam # 8
Satellite Sam # 9
Satellite Sam # 10

Marvel Unlimited
Thanos #6
Wolverine Annual #1

-------------------------------------------------------

Family Tree #5 - Wow.  I didn't expect that ending.  I seem to be saying this a lot.  Nice to see writers are still able to surprise me.  For awhile there, everything was predictable.  Nice 5 issue setup for what I assume is about to be the real story.  And I can't wait to see where it's going next issue.

Undiscovered Country #5 - This comic get's weirder by the minute.  We're close to getting some answers.  At least I hope so, I'm starting to get tired of being led along.  We need at least some answers to start appearing.  I'm enjoying it for the most part although it's a little hard at times to keep track of who all the characters are.

Redneck #26 - Hahahaha.  Ok, I'll bite.  Yet another one where I didn't see that coming.  This should make for an interesting confrontation!

Something is Killing the Children #1 - Tynion can write a good story.  There's enough here to pull me in.  Clearly a scary horror story and it's even scarier coming from a child's point of view.  Plus a hot monster hunter.  You can't go wrong there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:59:44 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »

Family Tree #5 - Wow.  I didn't expect that ending.

Okay, fine, I'll come back for one more issue.  Cheesy

Undiscovered Country #5 - This comic get's weirder by the minute.

I got issue #1, read the issue and got issue #2 when it hit ... realized this would probably be better ... I would probably DO better if I read this in large chunks
 Grin
It was really crazy, which I liked, but so much so that there is no way I could go month to month and keep up  Cheesy

Redneck #26 - Hahahaha.  Ok, I'll bite.

Damn it, did I get this? Have to go look

Something is Killing the Children #1 - Tynion can write a good story.  There's enough here to pull me in.  Clearly a scary horror story and it's even scarier coming from a child's point of view.  Plus a hot monster hunter.  You can't go wrong there.

Loved this. So did a lot of other people as it is now either an ongoing or a longer mini. It was suppose to end at #5 (I think) but demand was high and so they figured they could tell the entire story they wanted to tell so they increased the issue count! It is really, really well done.

Kill Lock #4 - And this great robotic team book is almost at its end (for now hopefully) and the last page of this issue really had me smiling. Can't wait to next issue to see who survived this issue.
This is a really cool 6 issue mini written and drawn by the same guy and I always like when that happens ... as you truly end up what was his vision for the story. Certainly not knocking how most comics are done, in-fact that can often help the process, but this one is a great example of writer/penciler giving us a good story.
Hope to see this get an ongoing or at least more mini's down the line ... if ... that is ... if anyone survives this darn first outing
 Cheesy
7 out of 10 Ben Reillys???  Cheesy Cheesy

The Wicked and The Divine #1 - Yep, finally picking up this darn thing again. Got a lot of issues early on and I need to knock em out. Not sure why I waited so long for this, I loved the look and story the first time I read the first couple issues and I love them now. I know Jeff read this and I am pretty sure he gave the series a thumbs up, so ... yeah ... yeah, I will get there. If only he would "get there" and start on that darn Blade Itself book ...
 Grin
9 out of 10 old deities  Grin

X-O Manowar #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 05:07:18 PM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1
Five Years #9

Birthright #42
Hidden Society #1
Satellite Sam # 6
Satellite Sam # 7

Satellite Sam # 8
Satellite Sam # 9
Satellite Sam # 10

Marvel Unlimited
Thanos #6
Wolverine Annual #1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Suicide Squad #1 - Hmmm. Not of fan of the new characters but it is only the first issue.  This is the setup issue and it does it's job.  Tom Taylor gets leeway with me so I'm looking forward to a good issue 2.

Five Years #9 - I love Zoe.  She is the best character in this series. Things seem to be moving in our characters favor in this issue.  Makes you wonder what disaster is going to blow everything up in the next issue.

Satellite Sam #6 & 7 - Man, the main character, the guy I thought was the hero, has turned into quite a d!ck!!!  But the mystery still has me pulled in.  Didn't learn a lot in that department in these two issues.  This was more about the main character following into the underbelly depths of his father.  I guess he thinks this will help him solve the murder but really, it's only sending him down a dark path.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:00:20 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »

The Wicked and The Divine #1 - Yep, finally picking up this darn thing again. Got a lot of issues early on and I need to knock em out. Not sure why I waited so long for this, I loved the look and story the first time I read the first couple issues and I love them now. I know Jeff read this and I am pretty sure he gave the series a thumbs up, so ... yeah ... yeah, I will get there. If only he would "get there" and start on that darn Blade Itself book ...
 Grin
9 out of 10 old deities  Grin

Yes I did but I will say it ran about 12 issues too long.  The final ending isn't as satisfying as the rest of the journey - at least for me it wasn't.  But still, great art, great premise, and great characters.  And it will read better in bulk.  That might be what happened to me as I caught up to real time and had to go monthly for the last third of the series.

Undiscovered Country #5 - This comic get's weirder by the minute.

I got issue #1, read the issue and got issue #2 when it hit ... realized this would probably be better ... I would probably DO better if I read this in large chunks
 Grin
It was really crazy, which I liked, but so much so that there is no way I could go month to month and keep up  Cheesy

Definitely will be better in large chunks.  It gets confusing and doesn't help when you forget things from month to month.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1
Five Years #9

Birthright #42
Hidden Society #1
Satellite Sam # 6
Satellite Sam # 7

Satellite Sam # 8
Satellite Sam # 9
Satellite Sam # 10

Marvel Unlimited
Thanos #6
Wolverine Annual #1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Birthright #42 - Werewolves!!  Awesome issue with a sad ending.  I noticed the next three issues have disappeared from Comixology and my Wish List.  I can only assume production halted due to quarantine.   Cry

Hidden Society #1 - Pretty good first issue.  I like the Mercy character and want to know more about her.  I'm annoyed already by the magician kid but I think I'm supposed to be.  I think this is just a 4 issue mini so I'll stay on board.  It's a Dark Horse version of Justice League Dark.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:01:21 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

Suicide Squad #1 - Hmmm. Not of fan of the new characters ...

They didn't wow me over at first either, but thought the first issue was done pretty well, so had to try one more ...

... but it is only the first issue.

... and THAT made all the difference. The more I got to know them, yeah, they grabbed me pretty quick.

I still enjoyed the first issue, but that 2nd and 3rd did it for me. Reminded me of, in way of so-so characters, like the first issue of Authority for me. Didn't really get enamored with 80% of that team at first (I didn't read the Sotrmwatch issues until much, much later) and still didn't enjoy "that guy with tire tread for feet and "the girl with the wings and talons" until about 3 or 4 issues in.
 Grin
Now Im not AT ALL saying these characters will hit you the same as those  Grin, they are not the Authority and Taylor is not Ellis after all, but both the new characters and Taylor shine pretty early after you get your legs in. Especially after ... well ...
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 08:11:27 PM »

Five Years #9

CRAP. Didn't know this was out already.  Shocked SLACKER!!  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »

Thanks to Jeff, I found out last nights reads were even out
(no idea how I missed Five Years!)
 Roll Eyes

Five Years #9 - Yes indeed. Like Jeff also said, Zoe is the best character in this series  Grin Also, the amount of dang circles (snow) that Terry Moore has thrown in this book series has to be a record. Always love the look of that two pager at the beginning of the issues that show the roads and bridge, and the way the steps that Zoe took to get to ... dang, forgot his name already ... that scientist dude  Grin, anyway, the panels with those steps and the building and walls in those panels as she approached the building looked crazy cool. Again, another one of those writer/artist combos that I enjoy so much. And that last panel!!!! OH MAN, when does issue #10 hit? This is going to be a hard wait!
another super-solid issue of this mini.
8 outta 10 JFK bullets?!?!  Shocked

Family Tree #5 - A good issue that I, personally, would have been just as happy to see it was the last. I liked how this ended. I think it could have ended here as a cool 5 issue mini, but there is more coming. I know this as I saw "to be continued"  Cheesy I am sure I will be there when it does, I like and trust Lemire after all, but yeah, I think it could have had a cool Sandman type ending if it ended with this issue.  Grin anyway, it seems we will be getting more answers of the mystery in the future and that is good.
I will say that while I like Phil Hester, especially on Green Arrow (which I seriously need to finish that run of his), I am not a huge fan of his stuff here. No idea why. Maybe it is because his style is so angular that a series about a tree (which is more tubular in nature) seems ... off? I don't know. It isn't bad art, not saying that, but ... ya know ... sometimes the art fits the tone or subject and sometimes it doesn't. I fear this is one of those doesn't ... s
That said I do enjoy this for the most part and I will be getting back to this series. Once it returns that is  Undecided
6 outta 10 bottles of MiracleGrow
 Smiley

X-O Manowar #1
Kill Lock #4
The Wicked and The Divine #1

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »

I don't trust it anymore, with Valiant having new ownership, but I'd love for them to have a digital service.

Because at this point, I'm 6 years behind (at the very least!) on the beginning of the Valiant overhaul that began with Cord's X-OManowar. I got up to volume 7 on Ninjak, Bloodshot USA, All of Unity, but man...the stuff I'm behind on now...with all those titles...now I'll be able to go back and buy up 8 years worth of a small company's titles.

Is that cd-rom still available?  Cool

EDIT-Still there on Valiant's website!! $60 bucks! And I got a $100 bonus from my hospital for 10 years of service! Gonna bite on it now!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:11:48 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:26 PM »

Didn't get to the comic shop in time and it is now closed indefinitely.
What do they mean that comics are non-essential?!?!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »

EDIT-Still there on Valiant's website!! $60 bucks! And I got a $100 bonus from my hospital for 10 years of service! Gonna bite on it now!!

SWEET!
Congrats on the bonus by the way, great way to celebrate it!

What do they mean that comics are non-essential?!?!

Cheesy
RIGHT??

The Wicked and The Divine #2
The Wicked and The Divine #3
The Wicked and The Divine #4
The Wicked and The Divine #5
The Wicked and The Divine #6
The Wicked and The Divine #7
- Continuing my visit to "Past series I should have already read"  Grin and sooo darn glad I waited for this. This is one of those series that I would be lost going month to month with all these gods that I am not familiar with. Sure, I would remember most of them, Wodin, Baal and Lucifer just to name a few, but some of these ... well, let's just say I am hitting Google today  Grin
Hard to grade an incomplete series, but so far it is hitting most of my pleasure points. Especially that clean ass art.
 Smiley

X-O Manowar #1
Kill Lock #4
The Wicked and The Divine #1
Five Years #9
Family Tree #5

Also, as a side point and totally not "in thread", I am listening to 11 O'C'lock comics latest podcast (which was posted a couple days ago) as I type this and although it just started (and please keep in mind that what I am typing is NOT verbatim, Please go listen if you want the most accurate account of what everyone actually said  Grin this is just my interpretation of it, and in a rushed "type as I listen" thing) .... they have DCBS on the line and she is talking about how Diamond closing is hitting her business. I  can't even imagine. Sure it is not unlike the usual LCS, other than it gets so much more than any other single shop in the US. Plus, they have those monthly, weekly and bi-weekly shipping customers they have to deal with.

Plus, sorry, but listening and typing as I go/hear ... she (again, DCBS owner) is saying what sucks for the LCS owners and her and her partner (husband ... brother ... ?) that owns In-Stock Trades ... is that they had ordered a ton of this new Spider-Man Omni that was suppose to be shipped to them and then go on sale this past Wednesday. Based on past performance (I suppose), they were expecting huge sales ... but as their shipping partner, Diamond, who of course is not shipping anything, closed down, they are not getting their books. But to make it worse, the book market (IE: Penguin/Random House and Amazon) which does normally get their omni, trades, collections, etc, 6 to 13 days AFTER the comic shops get their copies (Marvel has a 13 day delay for book stores and Amazon to sell Marvel trades/HC/Omni for example) ... now she (DCBS) is afraid that come April 14th, when the delay is over, Amazon will be able to sell the copies of that Spider-Man Omni (the one In-Stock was going to sell a lot of). Even though In-Stock is about 10% cheaper than Amazon and much cheaper than most book stores, people who want it will swoop in and buy it once it hits, as customers have no idea when In-Stock will be able to get the books now. Thus all this not only take the sales from In-Stock (and your LCS), but also leave In-Stock with a load of copies ... something no shop wants.

Also, it appears that Diamond has had piss poor communication with both DCBS and Midtown Comics (two of the biggest shops in the US). No "clarity" about what is going on. What the future holds. Plus, Diamond recently did a reorganization, re-naming the "company", brought in a new guy from Pepsi and she (again, DCBS) has no idea what he is suppose to do, but it seems since that time, Diamond has become a little more corporate ... just a different feeling and way they are doing things. Scary, in other words.

We HAVE to have a new way to do comics from now on. And while I personally hope, even though shops will have to change format and some may close, that monthly comics will from hence forth go digital ... and thus a little cheaper for us all ...and then have all the trades/collections/etc go directly to the shops. I think that would work. But I am bias as hell.
At the very least we have to come up with a different "one who rules them all" way of shipping
 Undecided

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS