HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:48:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 18, 2020  (Read 11355 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 12:53:16 AM »

Also I have never read Umbrella Academy.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »

You keep saying I hate the artist and that is just not true.  I don't hate the artist.  I hate his art on this particular book. I've been pretty consistent in saying his art might be something I like on a different book.

You're right, I misspoke saying you hated the artist instead of the art. That is something that I should correct and make sure I make the distinction in the future (I usually try to do just that, but failed here)
 Undecided

Regardless, you're are 100% correct.

On a whim, I went back and read your comments on each of the 10 issues after you read them Grin (Yes, I have way too much time on my hands this morning). Now these quotes are only from your immediate responses from reading each issue, I just thought it funny to go through each one and post all of your enjoyment  Grin Cheesy of his art on X-Force directly after reading them.
 Cheesy
This is not all of your comments, I am sure you made more, but this is just directly after each issue and I am doing this for a laugh because I know how much you love this guy's stuff
 Cheesy Cheesy

It started off ... not too bad ...  Wink

X-Force 1 - First issue didn’t grab me but didn’t run me off either.  I’ll stick around for the first arc.

Then it begins ...  Cheesy

X-Force 2 - Hard to read because the art isn't very good.  If it doesn't improve I might drop.

X-Force 3 - Ugh.  I'm not sure I can get past this art.

X-Force 4 - same as every week: Story thumbs up. Art thumbs down.

X-Force 5[/s][/color]

X-Force - maybe the art is wearing me down.  This issue was ok.

X-Force 6 - Glad I stayed on this despite my dislike of the art.  Story has turned out pretty decent.  I still want "my" Cable back but like I said, the story has been getting steadily better.  Plus you can always get me with a time travel story.

X-Force (2018) 7 - Ugh.  I like the idea of fighting Stryfe but this art really is bad.  I know this will soon be replaced by the Hickman X-World so I'm going to stick around to see how it ends.

X-Force (2018) 8 - I couldn't care less about young Cable in this story.  And the art is still bad.  Ready for this to end just so I'll know what happened.

X-Force (2018) 9 - I bet this is a really good story but the art has really ruined it.

X-Force #10 - Oh thank gawd this horrible book is over.  This writer was terrible.  The plot makes no sense and Baby Cable's whole speech about not changing the timeline makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE SINCE HE KILLED REAL CABLE IN EXTINCTION,  BASICALLY CHANGING THE TIMELINE FROM THE GET GO!  And everyone bought that speech?  Ugh.  Utter garbage.  And the horrible art only made it worse.

Man, we need to ask Hickman to put this guy on his X-Men run so Jeff will buy two copies of each issue.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 03:27:31 PM »

OMG that is HILARIOUS!!!!

Book of the year!!!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »

LOL that was an awesome history dig and find there!!!!!

So yeah, I removed X-force from my line up. Also, 'Baby Cable' it is!!

I also just read Superior Spider-man 1-5. I've always enjoyed works by Christos Gage, Nate Hawthorne on art looks like he was schooled in the last decade of Stuart Immonon's art stylings, and Doc Ock as Peter Parker/Spider-man was a big change that went to a lot of enjoyment (and selling money !!!) for me. An enjoyable time.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »

Spider Woman #1 - Just flipped through this at the LCS. Took a shot and luckily nothing I need  Grin
Conan #14 - This on the other hand? Oh yeah! I know, I get the complaint about Conan. There are only so many stories you can tell. It is just the way it is and I agree. However, I do love how some writers can take what has been done before (so many times) and make me like it still  Grin
Conan, thrown in a well and trapped in a competition ... a game of survival with other "players". Can he find away out by avoiding all the traps, creatures and possible assassins within the group?
Yeah, typical, but cool, Conan stuff
 Grin 

DCeased: Unkillables #2 - This just continues to be DC's best damn title they are putting out. Tom Taylor is ... pardon the pun ... just killing it here telling the villains story of events that happen after the end of the first 6 issue mini DCeased. While last time we had Trevor Hairsine's perfect style of art for this type of Zombie story, this time we get Karl Mostert's very cool (and very, very reminiscent or a certain Frank Quietly) art which is just as fitting. Is this title worth the $5 per issue? HELL YES. Not only because the story is so good, but we get about 40 pages of story in these issues, so heck, that is the size of two regular comics but you are getting it for $2.50 an issue
 Wink
A MUST READ !!!!
(But make sure you read the 6 issue mini, along with the one-shot, before starting this!!)

Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #3

Savage Avengers #9
Savage Avengers #10

Batman #91

Rai #4
Rai #5

Going ahead and sneaking in the past few issues of Bloodshot I missed into this months credit charges  Grin The wife and I agree that we would cut down, but as it isn't officially the the end of the billing cycle ...  Grin SSHhhhhhhhh  Cheesy
I see X-O is coming back next week so I am hoping this is a new Valiant revival!!!

Just in time for them to shut down operations I hear  Cry

I get it. I see most companies other than Marvel and DC are pretty much putting a stop order on most if not all projects for awhile. No reason to make and then try and sell comics that no-one can/will get to. I have a fear that quite a bit of shops will be closing, permanently, here soon after this as well. I know how tight it is for a lot of these shops around here and I honestly don't see how they are going to make it if they have to deal with not only people not having the ability to get to the shop, but losing their jobs and not having the disposable income for comics for a few months. I don't think most shops can go 4 or 6 months without income.
 Undecided Cry Cry Cry
I only hope the structure of how comics are sold, the entire Diamond Comics system, will be different after this. I hope THAT comes out of this at least
 Embarrassed

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »

Speaking of Marvel and DC not slowing down, as of yet, can you guys keep an eye out for sales to sign up for the MU/DCU?

I figure it won't be too long before they start offering their digital services at a reduced rate, in order to keep those that can no longer afford their comics reading comics from them. If you know what I mean.
I got ready to sign up this morning to MU and thought, wait a minute, maybe I will wait and see what happens in the next couple weeks.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »

Seems to me their subscriptions sales would be going up since no one can leave the house to pickup comics. If that’s the case there wouldn’t be a reason to drop prices. 

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 11:05:49 PM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #3
The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4
Hazel & Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #4 (of 6)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #5 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #6 (of 6)
Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3

Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5
Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 6: In India

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19
Guardians of the Galaxy #
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Incredible Hulk (1976) #5 (Early Groot appearance)
Sensational Spider-Man (1996) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #2 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #3 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #4 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #5 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #6 (Groot appearance)

-------------------------------------------------

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #5 & 6 - So that's it.  The end of a legacy.  And as usual I'm completely confused yet enjoyed the ride!

Satellite Sam # 1, 2, & 3 - Not at all the tantalizing Sci Fi adventure I was expecting.  Instead it's Noir murder mystery!  Takes a little time to get into it but it's starting to get interesting now.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 12:09:46 AM »

Seems to me their subscriptions sales would be going up since no one can leave the house to pickup comics. If that’s the case there wouldn’t be a reason to drop prices.  

If everyone starts losing their jobs, their subscriptions should go down as no-one could buy them
That is my thinking.

Comic shops sales would lesson immediately, already happening (and that is something that hopefully will produce changes later), but yes, that would, at first create a small jump in subscribers and be a jump in sales, but once that income availability is gone? In a matter of a month or two?

How many people filing for Unemployment now?

They just closed, Not limited, but closed all entertainment businesses in VA. (Well, starting midnight Tomorrow, I think it was) Not sure if "book stores" are considered in that, but I know nail salons, fitness centers, bowling alleys, movie theaters, bingo halls, etc ... they are closing here. All schools here are closed for the rest of the year.

It is starting to hit here and it isn't nowhere near as bad as further north or the west coast.

I am just glad my wife works where she does, always considered Essential personnel
  Undecided

EDIT - Well now that takes care of that.
Diamond Comic Distributors are closing its doors for the foreseeable future. NO comics for shops past this week, this next Wednesday
 Cry
Also read that they are allowing all shops to sell what the have for this Wednesday whenever they want to start selling it. As soon as they have it, they can sell it. No need to wait until Wednesday
(Comixology appears to not be able to)

Edit 2 - Forgot link - HERE

Edit 3 - Also just saw, over at BC, that DC's printers are closing down for a few
 Cry

Here it comes ...
 Undecided
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:24:33 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »

OH. Wow.  Cry Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 03:18:20 AM »

If everyone starts losing their jobs, their subscriptions should go down as no-one could buy them
That is my thinking.

I didn’t think of that.  Yep.  Makes nothing but sense.

Not happy to hear that publishing is stopping. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »

Plunge #2 - Loving this ocean/island mystery/horror title  Grin May just add the rest of Hill's comics as well as they (Hill's line) are not going to be on the DCU I have a feeling. I don't think they allow anything as much as a "Teen+", much less something like an "R" rated, even though this isn't "R" as of yet ... well, maybe due to one drug reference? Heck, I don't know.
I looked for Black Label, but I don't think it has been a year for those to be up on the site yet, though again, like most times, I could be wrong
 Grin

Still trying not to read stuff like Hulk, Venom and the like as I am trying my best to wait for MU.
As soon as I see a sale ...
 Grin

Okay, I will be on in about 2 or 3 months regardless, but don't tell them. I still want that sale ...  Cheesy

Savage Avengers #9
Savage Avengers #10

Conan #14

Batman #91
DCeased: Unkillables #2

Rai #4
Rai #5

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:10 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #3
The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4
Hazel & Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #4 (of 6)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #5 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #6 (of 6)
Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3

Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5

Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 6: In India

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19

Guardians of the Galaxy #
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Incredible Hulk (1976) #5 (Early Groot appearance)
Sensational Spider-Man (1996) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #2 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #3 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #4 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #5 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #6 (Groot appearance)

-------------------------------------------------

Satellite Sam # 4 & 5 - Getting more interesting as the search for Mickey’s fathers killer fears to some under belly places.

Black Cat #4 - I was going to drop this when the last arc ended.  Now I might wait until this arc ends.  This first part caught my interest as Black Cat is trying to Rob the Fantastic Four! “Date Night” with Johnny Storm - the man is gullible.

Doctor Strange #19 - Nice one shot that has to have nasty ramifications for the good doctor.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »

Man, as hard as it is, waiting for a few months and the reading a bunch of issues in a row of some titles is just incredible. I can't believe I made it so far this time, especially with this writer, but I did!!

Closed out the week in fine fashion!! But lets start with the one I tried to wait on, but couldn't  Embarrassed

Fantastic Four #20 - The end of this series!!!  Shocked Yet again  Cry (Please note that the previous sadness emoji is for how many times this title has ended, NOT that its current run may be coming to an end Wink)
But with Empyre coming in and taking over the entire Marvel publishing plans ... once they restart after the Virus shutdown  Cry Cry ... and the FF being named changed to include the Empyre, I think FF will, if it returns, come back with a new creative team? This is purely speculation/hope, but it may happen, yeah?
Of course it could (probably) will return after Empyre with a new Volume  Roll Eyes, but I am hopeful that if/when it does, there will be a different team.

Criminal #5
Criminal #6
Criminal #7
- Dang this is such a great read. How is Brubaker not getting the praise he deserves? Okay, I am sure he is getting plenty, but his stuff is so touching, so easy to relate to, even if you are not a killer or ... criminal (Wah-Wah), it just amazes me. Man, so damn glad I have a few more issues to get caught up on!!!

Savage Avengers #9
Savage Avengers #10

Conan #14

Batman #91
DCeased: Unkillables #2

Rai #4
Rai #5
Plunge #2

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 04:06:22 PM »

Fantastic Four #20 - The end of this series!!!  Shocked Yet again  Cry (Please note that the previous sadness emoji is for how many times this title has ended, NOT that its current run may be coming to an end Wink)
But with Empyre coming in and taking over the entire Marvel publishing plans ... once they restart after the Virus shutdown  Cry Cry ... and the FF being named changed to include the Empyre, I think FF will, if it returns, come back with a new creative team? This is purely speculation/hope, but it may happen, yeah?
Of course it could (probably) will return after Empyre with a new Volume  Roll Eyes, but I am hopeful that if/when it does, there will be a different team.

FF ending again? Well then...oh well.

But you know what? It's getting damned hard to search for older volumes, or even be able to reference what older volume is what.

Like, I know the writers for, say, the Hulk volumes. But, if I REALLY want to get caught up on all Captain Marvel from the last decade, if the years aren't listed (thankfully, Unlimited does!), how would I know what in the hell I'm looking for? Sheesh!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS