HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 07:58:42 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 25, 2020  (Read 4286 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 25, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »

How is it time is moving faster each day now that I'm working from home?  Seems like before I get to do anything, the day is over!  Hopefully I can fit these in somewhere and catch up!

ComiXolgy
Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 6: In India
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
Giant-Size X-Men: Nightcrawler #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Something is Killing the Children #1
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Prodigal Son #1
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Incredible Hulk (1976) #5 (Early Groot appearance)
Sensational Spider-Man (1996) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #2 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #3 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #4 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #5 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #6 (Groot appearance)
Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Edit: Accidentally left off the last two comics for MU so added them in.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:04:47 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

—————————————————————————————————————-

Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 6: In India - Oh man.  This was terrible.  It’s a shame this good series ends with such a thud.  I normally like Peter Milligan but this was not good.  And the horrible art only made it worse.  Almost makes me miss JRjr on this title.  Bleck.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:05:10 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

Oh man, sorry to hear that.
Yeah, when you want JRjr back to make the art better, you are saying a lot.
 Grin

(Which in itself is a sad thing as he used to be so damn good when he was doing his fathers style of art)
 Undecided Cry

I know I am going to catch up on Criminal this week, but other than that ... I am not sure. I do know I can't wait to see what Comixology has for sales today.

Speaking of, I did see where I screwed up and bought those missing issues of East of West about 3 months early as the entire run is on-sale (or was yesterday) for about $18
 Angry

Cheesy

Oh, and I also have to try the new X book, I suppose  Undecided Although heck, as the next issue will be delayed by ... who knows how long, I could also wait and see if I could get it cheaper.

Man, I am so curious, excited and worried what the new comic system/industry will be if this last for two months or so

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 02:45:11 AM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Prodigal Son #1 - the last chapter in this cross series story by Peter David.  Not a must read but I enjoyed it.

Invaders #9 - Kind of wished they’d made this a six issue mini instead of a 12 issue mini.  I’ve lost interest but will finish it out with only 3 issues left.

Invisible Woman #3 - I knew that’s who the villain would wind up being.  But I still love the story and the art.  Thumbs up for this issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »

Invisible Woman #3 - I knew that’s who the villain would wind up being.  But I still love the story and the art.  Thumbs up for this issue.

This WAS my FF for the four months that it came out. So good. I miss it, or that feeling I should say, so much  Cry

Hellions #1 - Once again the ending of this, bar one character, gives me that lost "I have no idea" feeling again. In-fact, for most of this story I held onto that feeling as most of these characters were obviously showcased during my time away from either the X-Men or comics all together. Sure, there were the minority of characters that I am aware of of, heard of or know about, but yeah, if you enjoyed the late 80's and 90's X, this book is for you. But, was it for me? Kinda. Again, the lost feeling isn't the greatest, but it is also not that unusual to have with most issue #1's so hey, there's that!
The art was decent, not amazing, but certainly serviceable and the coloring was fine enough if not great, being not too bright ... I hate super bright comics that deal with or contain bloody violence. They should have, at the very least, a shade of grey or brownish tones somewhere!
Overall I enjoyed this, I think it is a rather stupid idea, but hey, most caped comics have some of that, yeah  Grin
I will say I am intrigued by the Iron Man costume ripoff  Cheesy Orphan Maker (I do think he looks cool!) and the Nanny (Also a great look!!), I mean, they almost scream Grant Morrison to me, and I was surprised to see they were not created by him.  Cheesy and the ending hits home as that ... thing/character/storyline was about the time I was winding down my time with the X titles but one that I remember enjoying (even though I don't remember much of it now  Cheesy)
Yeah, I think I will give this the 3 issue go ... unless I get that deal on MU prior
 Smiley

Suicide Squad #4 - No wonder I am enjoying this, it is written by my current favorite DC comic title scribe Tom Taylor (DCeased). Although I have read some of his stuff that didn't hit for me as well, so maybe I shouldn't say "no wonder"? Grin This issue was a little less enjoyable than the first three, but still has me hook, line and sinker. I enjoyed it a little more when
Harley
was not involved, but DC has to have what they have to have. The art is proper good and this coloring kinda breaks the rule I stated above, but I don't mind.  Cheesy
More of another setup issue than anything, but an enjoyable one.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

King Thor #1 - Pretty decent for a final battle start with Loki.

Moon Knight Annual #1 - Fun Kang story.

Incredible Hulk (1976) #5 (Early Groot appearance) - a Chris Claremont story! But a basic cheeses 70’s tale.

Sensational Spider-Man (1996) #1 (Groot appearance) - I don’t know what Wikipedia is talking about.  There was no appearance of Groot here.  Dream or otherwise.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »

Road to Empyre #1 - A good recap of recent and past Skrull/Kree events. A lot I didn't remember or know
Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler - A good story that, DAMN IT, will make me check back with New Mutants Angry
X-Men/FF #3 - Ugh, I am usually a big fan of Chip Zdarsky's work, and while he is doing a fine job with the 4 here, his X-men side, especially the brutality of a certain Wolverine, is kinda off. Unless it was what he, Chip, was instructed to do. The ending was kinda neat, in a fanboy way
 Cheesy

Hellions #1

Suicide Squad #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Hellions #1 - I liked this first issue ok.  The only characters I was unfamiliar with were Orphan-Maker and Nannie. Neither of which I care for.  I know Empath is one of the original Hellions but I don’t remember much else.  So I’ll probably enjoy getting to know him.  Havok and Psylocke are two of my favorite X-Men so that is good.  Wild Child I became first acquainted with in the Age of Apocalypse books but never realized he’s from the Alpha Flight comic by John Byrne.  I like him well enough as well.  Scalphunter was one of the original Marauders.  I neither liked or hated the character so it will all depend on the writer on what I think.  I could see this comic bombing if the characters aren’t handled right.  It’s an odd ensemble and could be really great or terrible.  We will see....

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

On a fun note, I read Superior Spider-man 1-10, I think. I have really come to enjoy reading this kind of Doc Ock. I love that the book does not make apologist remarks of his past-Otto does, but the world won't hear of it. I like that there is enough of Peter still around in the body (perhaps), that still drives Ock out to do the best, right thing...in his manner. I know I complain alot about watered down flagships, but I guess if done right, I'm okay with that? Feel free to attack my hypocripsy! Grin (says the fan of Doc Ock Spidey, Scarlet Spider, Kaine <<which are all 3 Peter Parker clones!!!>> but I don't like Spider-Gwen books? I tolerate Miles Morales (oka, scratch that, I do like Miles actually Wink ).

Also reading Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man 1-6. Cool stuff Tom Taylor. I dig. Also, the issue with Hawthorne drawing, issue 4 I think when Peter takes off swinging around town, doing mutliple flips, climbs, swings in one huge splash page, in his drawing style, just HIT ME so hard that this *is* quintessentially who Spider-man is-the art is a style I love (Immonen/George Perez/old Romita). Clean lines, stark colors. Just made me sigh in contentment. If I could boil away whatever nonsense that I've been annoyed with all over the last decade, and just read that singular page...I'd always proclaim that I'm a Spidey fan for life. Let me go look it up: Issue #5, page 6.

Loved it.

Man Without Fear #1-3 -some kind of filler series for Hornhead that tells the end of Deputy Mayor Matt who fought ninjas only to be put in the hospital saving a little boy from a car  accident? A huge navel gazing experience to again contemplate who DD is, if he's needed, how he wrecks my life, oh woe is me. Kinda ugh; I'm passed this. get going to some better territory.

Uncanny X-men 13-14 ; ok, Scott's back, Logan's back, assemble find more X-men, get another pissy all ends justify the means Army General hunting them done. This is some boring stuff.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:21:55 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »

So weird, yet so very, very cool, to see Jimmy reading and commenting on comics again.  Cool

I also thought the first 6 ... to 8 issues of Neighborhood Spidey were damn fine. Kinda dropped off after that for me, but hope you can find further enjoyment than I.

I've been chomping at the bit to get back into DD again, as I hear Chip is absolutely blowing it away right now on the main title, but I am trying to store up so many titles that when I do decide to read, I can go for weeks. It is hard not reading, but also using it to help me try and get back to MU ... yearly this time

And as for the hypocrisy, hey, it comes with the territory of being a fan, buddy
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #1-6 (Groot appearance) - I couldn’t make it all the way through issue 2.  Skimmed through the rest of it and just read the few pages with Groot.  Kieth Giffen at his worst as far as writing.  It is basically where a Groot turns from bad to good. Unfortunately it’s not good enough to pick up even for that.

Dead Man Logan #11 - almost done and we find out what happened to another x-villain.  Plus Cages little girl gets an upgrade!

Doctor Aphra #36 - Excellent end to this arc and a setup for a long awaited reunion!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 03:27:37 AM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Wolverine #2 - Oh man, I didn’t see that coming! This Pale Girl is not to be trifled with!

X-Men #9 - OMG!  I am laughing soooo hard at that ending.  That is going to be so cool!!!!  Bwahahahahahahaa!

Giant-Size X-Men: Nightcrawler #1 - Not bad, not great. But I am interested in Doug’s little secret!  It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out!

X-Men/Fantastic Four #3 - why do they always trust Doom?  Love the ending cliff hanger.  Looking forward to the wrap up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 04:32:15 AM »

ComiXolgy
Hellions #1
Wolverine #2
X-Men #9
X-Men/Fantastic Four #3
Ascender #10
Die!Die!Die! #9
Family Tree #5
Undiscovered Country #5
Redneck #26
Suicide Squad #1

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3

King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Dead Man Logan #11
Doctor Aphra #36

Ascender #10 - End of second arc.  And a sad one at that.  Plus a surprise! I won’t be a spoiler but I liked it!

Die!Die!Die! #9 - they’re back!  Basically a kick off issue for the next story. Good to catch up with the “gang” and see what next disaster is starting.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »

Criminal #8
Criminal #9
Criminal #10
Criminal #11
Criminal #12
- Yea! Now up-to-date and feeling a lot better than some of the characters here. "IN YO FACE!!"
 Cheesy

Hellions #1
Road to Empyre #1
Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler
X-Men/FF #3

Suicide Squad #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 03:39:38 PM »

Criminal #8
Criminal #9
Criminal #10
Criminal #11
Criminal #12
- Yea! Now up-to-date and feeling a lot better than some of the characters here. "IN YO FACE!!"
 Cheesy

Too bad this isn't a book that can come out twice a month!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS