HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:06:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 11, 2020  (Read 8159 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 03:11:33 PM »

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #1 (of 6) - I keep putting this off because I know anything LoEG isn't going to be a short read. 

ME TOO!!! As you mentioned though, it has been so long, I will have to reread all of the ones that came prior to this before I get to it.
Man, I need to do better. So much out there to read. So little time (money  Cheesy) to get to them all

Immortal Hulk #23 - Man this title just keeps staying on top.  So many gamma characters at once and still only the Hulk seems to matter.  Big battle with between Fortean and his men against Hulk, Alpha Flight, Betty Banner, Doc Sampson, Rick Jones, and a reporter!  Lots of fun this one is.

Yeah, love this stuff. It does kinda calm down for an issue or two around this time, but it picks back up again  Grin

Fantastic Four (1961) #67 - First appearance of Adam Warlock! - Man. Reed was really a sexist pig in the '60's!! "It's too dangerous for you Sue. Just me, Johnny, and Ben can go.  I'm not asking you Sue, I'm ordering you."  But it was still fun to read a Stan Lee / Jack Kirby Fantastic Four with the origin of Adam Warlock!

HERE, HERE!!!
 Cheesy
Although honestly, I can no longer read Stan Lee's stuff, even my beloved FF, for any length of time.  Undecided An issue or two maybe, but it just wears me down after a time. But luckily, he didn't write too many issues of the FF. Ya know, only the first 125 or so
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Still love flipping through and seeing that Kirby stuff though!!

Left this one here, a blank original comment from you, Jeff, as I really though I had one more thing to reply to. OCuld have sworn I had "four" things to say to you, to reply to, and so I copy/pasted your quote bars four times. Gonna use them darn it.
 Cheesy

Anywho ... onto the reading, what little I got through. Oh, and as for Excalibur ... man, talk about feeling disconnected!!
I don't know, not getting into yet. Hell, if I hadn't been stupid enough to get all the current issues, I would stop reading, but as I still have three or four more to get to, may as well read 'em
 Undecided
(And will probably get hooked by then, forced to buy a title I had not enjoyed until the very last issue  Cheesy)

Excalibur #1
Excalibur #2
Excalibur #3
Excalibur #4
- I usually love anything British based, but for some reason this is jut not hitting for me ... yet?
Dr. Strange #4 - Lovin' this relaunch. And hey, Dr Druid? Hell yeah!! Great last couple of pages!!!
X-Men #8 - Okay, The Brood? Yes please! Add in (more coming next issue) Marvel's answer to the Legion of Super Heroes; The Imperial Guard, complete with Jon Kent Kubark (I mean, DC is using his true counterpart a lot so ...  Grin) and ya got me hooked. Can't wait for #9!!

Batman #90 - Still not liking this "Designer" idea. Just ... blah, but hey, love my bats so what am I gonna do?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »

Excalibur #8
Flash #750, 751
Young Justice #13, 14
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 02:45:49 AM »

Actually kind of glad to hear this could tie-in to X of Swords.  I'm hoping I'll like it even though I want the real Cable back.

YES! I want him back!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 02:51:15 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Marauders #1 [Re-read]
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7
Marauders #8
Marauders #9
Excalibur #1 [Re-read]
Excalibur #2 [Re-read]
Excalibur #3

Excalibur #4
Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2

ComiXolgy
X-Men #8
New Mutants #9

20XX #3
Ascender #9
Bloodshot #6
Rai #4

Five Years 6
Five Years 7
Five Years 8

Kick-Ass #16
Kick-Ass #17
Kick-Ass #18

Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 5: In Hong Kong (Collects HIT-GIRL SEASON TWO #5-8)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #1 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #2 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #3 (of 6)

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk Annual #1
Spider-Man: Life Story #6
Thor #16

Wolverine: The Long Night #1
Wolverine: The Long Night #2
Wolverine: The Long Night #3
Wolverine: The Long Night #4
Wolverine: The Long Night #5

Immortal Hulk #23
Old Man Quill #9
The Web of Black Widow #1
Fantastic Four (1961) #67 - First appearance of Adam Warlock!
Tales to Astonish (1959) #13 - First appearance of Groot!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #2 & 3 - This is fun and I’m reading it a lot faster than expected.  Love that they have two stories running; a present day and a story from the past.  Quite curious as to where this winds up!

Marauders #1, 2, & 3 - Guess I should have stuck around for more than one issue.  I’m enjoying this now that I’m three issues in.  Pretty excited to see Shinobi back.  I had forgotten about the hatred for his father Sebastian.  Back in the history, Shinobi had killed his father to become the Black King of the Hellfire Club.  This could be fun to read with them both alive and working together.

Excalibur #1, 2, & 3 - Still only mildly interested in this one although it gets better with each issue.  Seeing
Pete Wisdom
again at the end of issue 3 however has perked my interest and I find myself more interested in the next issue.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »

While I agree with your assessment of Marauders, I really agree with your first thoughts on Excalibur ... so much so that I am now over it. Gonna read the last issue I have not read, but then I am done. Gone. Bye-bye. I can't get into it. When you find yourself forcing the reading of a comic, it is time to step away from that comic. That is what it was for me. I was making myself read it, just to say I was reading them all. That was my goal again, to read them all, even the ones I didn't like, but finally I realized just how stupid that was.

I don't like Excalibur. Not with this art team, not with this writer, so why read it?

I don't like X-force. Not with this art team, not with this writer, so why read it?

May try Wolverine one more time as I am a fan of Bogdonavic's (sp?) art and I do enjoy a good Omega Red story (and that second story in Wolvie #1 was the best of the two for me) so I may try that one again. Also may try to keep up with New Mutants even though I only truly enjoyed the Hickman written issues, but I am now intrigued by the new monsters and the new character (at least to me  Wink) that we met in that last issue of the title so one more won't hurt, yeah?

I truly should do what would be better for me, being not that big of X-fan since ... well ... soon after Bishop originally showed up  Grin and just wait for all of these on MU, but Hickman, if nothing else, is a writer that makes shit happen and I kinda (really) want to see not only what he is writing in his book, but what he has said to do with the others.

Damn it.
 Angry Grin

Okay, what I read so far this week -

Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
... and I'm over it
New Mutants #8
New Mutants #9
- Was almost done with this as well. One more issue?
X-Force #8 - Totally Byrne "read" this at the local. Over this title mainly because of the art. Mainly
Master of Kung-Fu #71 - An MU comfort read. Totally a recap issue for the last 20 issues or so  Cheesy
Savage Avengers #7
Savage Avengers #8
- And Conan continuing to screw crap up. This title not available to MU as there is "currently no deal in place" for Conan comics on MU. However I need my Dr. Strange soooo  Grin Plus, this title has been surprisingly good, I have to admit. Hopefully it will be coming to MU soon? Not long ago good ole MoKF wasn't even available as a reprint much less on MU, so who knows?

Excalibur #1
Excalibur #2
Excalibur #3
Excalibur #4

Dr. Strange #4
X-Men #8

Batman #90

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Marauders #1 [Re-read]
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7
Marauders #8
Marauders #9
Excalibur #1 [Re-read]
Excalibur #2 [Re-read]
Excalibur #3

Excalibur #4
Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2

ComiXolgy
X-Men #8
New Mutants #9

20XX #3
Ascender #9
Bloodshot #6
Rai #4

Five Years 6
Five Years 7
Five Years 8

Kick-Ass #16
Kick-Ass #17
Kick-Ass #18

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk Annual #1
Thor #16

Immortal Hulk #23
Old Man Quill #9

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marauders #4 - Well dang if this didn't go from the one I hated to the one of ones I like a lot.  This was a good issue with a lot of Kitty (Kate?  Can't get used to that) and Bishop.  While I know my good friend Perry doesn't like the Bishop character, I on the other hand like him a lot.  His mini series in the late '90's is what brought me back to reading comics, believe it or not.  So, yeah, I'm liking this book.  And the return of the villains at the end of this issue.  Oh yeah!   Grin

Marauders #5 - Hellfire club intrigue - both new and old.  Love it.  This issue a trap is sprung and it will be fun seeing who outplays whom as this continues into the next issue.

Excalibur #4 - Still getting better with each issue.  It has that old style feel with everyone hating the Mutants and that's not a good thing.  It's a tired trope that I hoped we were getting away from with this new X-World.  That said, I'm ok with this.  Seeiing Rictor and Gambit together was fun.  It needs to pick up a little bit and looks like it might next issue.

Excalibur #5 - What the ? ? ?  This title is out of sync with the others.  This story was "Ok" but the way Gambit and Apocalypse act is more like how the X-Men were written in the old days.  Doesn't seem to fit in with Hickman's world.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:44 PM »

Immortal Hulk 20-23 - I love these comics so much!!! Great stuff!!!!

Got to catch up on Thor to get to King Thor.

And...I want to read the 2 volumes of X-men to see Scott fully return, X-force to see how Kid Cable goes, THEN get into Hickman's X work.

Sheesh. I think I'm almost 2 years behind Spider-man comics! LOL

Does the DC app still work with updating their comics line?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 03:03:11 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Marauders #1 [Re-read]
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7

Marauders #8
Marauders #9
Excalibur #1 [Re-read]
Excalibur #2 [Re-read]
Excalibur #3

Excalibur #4
Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2

ComiXolgy
X-Men #8
New Mutants #9

20XX #3
Ascender #9
Bloodshot #6
Rai #4

Five Years 6
Five Years 7
Five Years 8

Kick-Ass #16
Kick-Ass #17
Kick-Ass #18

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk Annual #1
Thor #16

Immortal Hulk #23
Old Man Quill #9

Marauders #6 & 7 - Dangit - I wrote a big paragraph about this and then closed my browser before saving.  I can't remember all that I wrote but I know I liked both of these...a lot!

Excalibur #6 - Lost my thoughts on this one too.  I do remember that I liked this issue a lot better than any of the others and that the last page had me thinking this was getting cool. 
A live dissection of a character makes you drop your jaw!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 03:04:06 AM »

I know they have been but I haven't looked at it in a long while.  I need to go back and see how current things are.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 05:17:49 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Marauders #1 [Re-read]
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7

Marauders #8
Marauders #9
Excalibur #1 [Re-read]
Excalibur #2 [Re-read]
Excalibur #3

Excalibur #4
Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2

ComiXolgy
X-Men #8
New Mutants #9

20XX #3
Ascender #9
Bloodshot #6
Rai #4

Five Years 6
Five Years 7
Five Years 8

Kick-Ass #16
Kick-Ass #17
Kick-Ass #18

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk Annual #1
Thor #16

Immortal Hulk #23
Old Man Quill #9

Excalibur #7 - Whew.  I can see why Perry dropped after this one.  I’m hoping it’s just one bad arc and not the norm.

Excalibur #8 - at least it was only a two parter and it’s over.  Let’s see if the next arc is better.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »

I know they have been but I haven't looked at it in a long while.  I need to go back and see how current things are.

Yep. Still one year behind, which of course is not as good for us as 6 months with Marvel, but hey, they also have the tv/movie stuff up there, sooo
(Yeah, I do wish they were 6 months behind as well, though  Cry)

However they do have that nice "era" search on the side now that you can pick what era you want to read from: Golden Age, Silver Age, Rebirth, etc... so that is nice.

And although I wish they were only 6 months behind, it isn't that bad ... if I can stop reading to get to that point I mean  Angry
Batman HERE is up to #66 already. If I had just waited, it wouldn't have seemed so long, yeah?  Undecided

They are also starting to roll out more and more Wildstorm comics, which has me super excited. Hell, They already have most complete runs of the good stuff  Smiley I do see that the original Gen13 is not fully loaded yet, but they have a lot, if not all, of the Authority series HERE featuring the original HERE. Planetary HERE and even Sleeper ... both series.

Good stuff. I may, at some point, even get around to trying the Backlash series I have always wanted to try. Not sure why. I just love the look out of that mid-nineties creation
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »

Awesome on the DC app! As it turns out I am over a year and a half behind so it's perfect for me now! Not sure I'm getting it quite yet but we'll see!

I also decided to go through Uncanny X-men 5-11 last night: this was Rosenberg's X-man super arc to Scott's return run. I sideways loved Nate Grey, so I enjoyed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:23 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Marauders #1 [Re-read]
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7

Marauders #8
Marauders #9

Excalibur #1 [Re-read]
Excalibur #2 [Re-read]
Excalibur #3

Excalibur #4
Excalibur #5
Excalibur #6
Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2

ComiXolgy
X-Men #8
New Mutants #9

20XX #3
Ascender #9
Bloodshot #6
Rai #4

Five Years 6
Five Years 7
Five Years 8

Kick-Ass #16
Kick-Ass #17
Kick-Ass #18

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk Annual #1
Thor #16

Immortal Hulk #23
Old Man Quill #9

Marauders #8 & 9 - Man this series is proof positive that you’ve got read more than issue 1.  Can’t believe I dropped this back then.  I’m so glad Perry unintentionally got me back on this.  The death in issue 8 really brings on a huge issue with the resurrection stuff.  And the flushing out of the spy in issue 9?  Genius.  I’ll be sticking around on this one for a long while.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »

Flipping through issue #9, with no true intention of returning to it, is what made me decide to go back and try again. Yes, it was that intriguing. When Emma made [redacted] think what he thought ... almost had us believing it as well Grin I told myself that maybe I should give it another go.

Like I mentioned, I am only saddened by the fact I saw the cover to issue #11 before I read #10. Not that it is a big deal, but it kinda spoiled another thing that happened in #9
 Cheesy

EDIT -
Oh yeah, I forgot ...

Marauders #6 & 7 - Dangit - I wrote a big paragraph about this and then closed my browser before saving.

I HATE WHEN I DO THAT!!!!

You know me. I suck at typing in the first place, so when I do that ... and I do it more often than you would think  Cheesy, oh how I get so mad at myself. And there is no anger like the anger you feel towards yourself.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Yeah man, I feel ya!!!
 Grin

Also, man, I have to cut down on the current comic reading. About a week and a half ago, the wife and I sat down and decided to move some money around, talking most of our 401k and rearranging the portfolio out of the market and into a considerably less aggressive stance, but with the Fed lowering the rate even more ... ugh.

Anyway, looking over and into the future is a little hard, the way it is right now, murky  Cheesy but we sat down again last night and decided to be a little more smart with our funds for awhile until we know a little more about what is coming. Her job is safe and so is our future, mostly, but to help make sure that is the case, we our going to do a little better in the now, so we know we can do better in the then.
 Grin

Soooo yeah, I am going to try and cut way back on my current comic purchases, ready myself for going solely (as much as I can Cheesy) on the MU and DCU platforms and catch up on a lot of the older stuff I have sitting around or already purchased. I still have to make a list of what titles I am going to try and keep up with (with Empyre coming that is going to be hard) and I have a little bit of time to ease into it, but yeah, it kinda works out that I decided to not stay up on all the X-Books as I think I would no longer be able to anyway.
  Grin   Cry

It just got too much. I have started buying more and more and hell, not even getting the DCBS discount  Grin Grin and I just need to cut that down.

Yep, we made a deal, she is not going to buy clothes as much and I am not going to buy comics as much.
 Grin

Anyway, enough of the money talk!! That is not why we are here, yeah? And I did get one in last night ...

Master of Kung-Fu #72 - More history and healing this issue but .... get ready for the return to Mordillo Island !!!
Brynocki Just walked in on Tarr! Dun-dun-DUUUUUHHHHHH
 Cool
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:15:31 AM by Perry » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS