HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 03:46:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 18, 2020  (Read 11353 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 18, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »

Stocking up for my home quarantine......

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #3
The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4
Hazel & Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #4 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #5 (of 6)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #6 (of 6)
Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3
Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5
Hit Girl Season 2 Vol 6: In India

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19
Guardians of the Galaxy #
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1
Incredible Hulk (1976) #5 (Early Groot appearance)
Sensational Spider-Man (1996) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #1 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #2 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #3 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #4 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #5 (Groot appearance)
Nick Fury's Howling Commando's (2005) #6 (Groot appearance)

-------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »

Soooo yeah, I am going to try and cut way back on my current comic purchases, ready myself for going solely (as much as I can Cheesy) on the MU and DCU platforms and catch up on a lot of the older stuff I have sitting around or already purchased.

I can understand that.  I figure after this Sword of X event, I will move a lot of my X-Men reading over to MU as well.  And DC will likely lose my monthly buys as well if they keep pushing these $4.99 and $7.99 prices.  Just getting too expensive.  I hate to think they might price themselves out of business.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »

Excalibur #9
Outlawed #1
X-Men/FF #2
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 03:01:14 PM »

I think I said elsewhere lots of Uncanny X-men, and then I went to the first X-force with Kid Cable. OMG this art is atrocious! Sorry, but I want a super hero look. This ain't it.

Still have almost 2 dozen DC books sitting in my drawer, over s yet old and not read... Gotta buy the end of Super Sons, Death stroke and Doomsday Clock!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »

I went to the first X-force with Kid Cable. OMG this art is atrocious! Sorry, but I want a super hero look. This ain't it.

Yeah it’s impossible to enjoy because of that art.  And it doesn’t get any better.  You won’t miss anything if you skip it IMO.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »

Grin
I am not saying it was fantastic art, but it isn't the worst either. Heck, it is very reminiscent of Gabriel Ba's art even. Not as good and a little stylized but it wasn't that bad. I mean, if you like the Umbrella Academy look then the X-Force art shouldn't kill ya.  Smiley
Is THIS or THIS image really that much different than THIS or THIS found in Umbrella Academy?
Not really.
Although I do enjoy Ba's more, they aren't total opposites or anything
 Grin
But everyone's eyes are different I suppose  Grin
I understand I may also be alone with appreciating Michael Avon Oeming's art as well
 Grin Grin
Tis all good!
 Grin
Art is subjective after all. Hell, there are people that actually enjoy Frank Robbins's (Invaders) art ...  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 12:58:26 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4
The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4
Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3
Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Wolverine #1 - I really liked this book.  And with two stories you got twice the Wolverine and twice the goodness!  The second story with Omega Red was the most memorable.  That will likely grow into something very interesting.

Cable #1 - So first half of the book I was hating.  Did not like at all.  Thankfully all that just led to the main point of this arc which clearly leads to the Sword of X crossover.  Loved that it dealt with
Space Knights like Rom!
 But without Rom of course due to licensing.
At that point I was sold on reading this for awhile.  Then they sealed the deal with the last page!!!  OH YEAH!!  I'm in for this one!!

X-Men/Fantastic Four #1 - Good start.  Man it's really looking like the X-Men are the bad guys now. And then Reed has to go and be a d!ck.  And the last page was a cool reveal.  Especially since I had forgotten who was in this story.   Grin

X-Men/Fantastic Four #2 - Magneto "Will this be a problem?" Cyclops "Yeah, Erik. It will."  Best Cyclops response ever.  And completely accurate.  Fun issue and sets the stage for what promises to be a great battle coming soon....

X-Force #9 - Eh - not much better this issue but the cliffhanger makes me think next issue has potential.

Excalibur #9 - I wonder if this is a big hit with previous Excalibur fans.  I never read them but I have some knowledge and it seems like seeing some of these characters show up could be a hit for those fans.  For me it's not a big hit or miss.  But I never really liked this fantasy stuff in my X-Men.  This has enough in it to keep me interested - Megann as a spy could be interesting (I always liked her character).  I like Pete Wisdom.  I like Rogue and Gambit.  I like Jubilee.  I DON'T like Shogo as a dragon.  I don't mind Betsy as Captain Britain (but I prefer her as Psylocke).  So why am I ambivalent towards this title?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 01:06:47 AM »

Grin
I am not saying it was fantastic art, but it isn't the worst either. Heck, it is very reminiscent of Gabriel Ba's art even. Not as good and a little stylized but it wasn't that bad. I mean, if you like the Umbrella Academy look then the X-Force art shouldn't kill ya.  Smiley
Is THIS or THIS image really that much different than THIS or THIS found in Umbrella Academy?
Not really.

Except that this is NOT the Umbrella Academy.  That's what makes the difference.  Oeming's art is probably great on a different book with different characters, but not X-Force.  Or X-Anything (well, maybe X-babies?) as far as I'm concerned.  Oeming would probably be great fill in artist for Umbrella Academy because that's the way those characters are supposed to look.  Not in the X-World.  Nope.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 03:21:22 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4

The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4
Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3
Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Batman #91 - I'm done.  This is just really boring.  And the next arc is yet ANOTHER war with the Joker.  I'm out.
And with dropping this I'm now officially not reading any current DC Comics.  Maybe I'll try out that Suicide Squad Perry is raving about...

Bloodshot #0 - Good one shot story.  It's by the numbers but that's ok.  Twist at the end still caught me by surprise thought it probably shouldn't have.  Thumbs up.

Family Tree #4 - Nice action issue.  This isn't one of the best Jeff Lemire tale...yet.  It's getting better with each issue.  After this one I'm really looking forward to see what happens in the next issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »

Except that this is NOT the Umbrella Academy [....] Not in the X-World.  Nope.

Grin Hey my man, like I said, we all like what we like, you don't have to have a reason. Ya know, to each their own and all that  Smiley and its not like I am clambering to to stand in line for a sketch from the guy  Grin I don't like his look that much either, but 'I'm just saying it wasn't the worse art out there. This is a young guy that has a punk style and sure it isn't for everyone, but it wasn't as bad as say Rob Liefeld ... who even after all this time won't practice to get better  Angry

And besides, style is a great thing. How many times have we as a comic community said we "didn't like the look or style of the art at first but then ..."?

But seriously man, I'm not trying to "break your balls ova heya"  Grin  art is art, we don't all like the same. I am more than comfortable being the sole HR guy that can look at this guys stuff and not puke
 Cheesy Cheesy

Oeming's art is probably great on a different book with different characters, but not X-Force.

I do want to clarify one thing however, the guy that was on X-Force was Dylan Burnett. Michael Oeming was the other guy you hated, from the Young Justice Warlord image
 Wink
A fine artist there. That one. And even though you don't like him either  Grin, I will go to the mat for him because ... well ... I was the same way for a time  Grin until I got through the first 3 or 4 issues of Powers and then I found the appreciation.

But yeah man, hate whose art you hate.  Cool I get it. I am sure I will be there on the other-side of the art opinions here soon. You will be saying "its better than Liefeld"  Wink and I will ... no, lets not go there yet. We'll cross that road when we get to it
 Cheesy Cheesy

Oh, and lastly (and Jimmy and I just spoke on this yesterday) ... regardless of our level of dislike for Burnett's style, I think we can all agree that Mike Del Mundo's style should never again grace the pages of Thor
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I told Jimmy that I liked his stuff on the title Weirdworld because it fit. Somehow or for some reason it worked. But it made Thor look pretty damn murky to me
 Undecided

EDIT -
DANG IT!!!
Forget to include the other comments you made that I wanted to reply to  Angry

Wolverine #1 - I really liked this book.  And with two stories you got twice the Wolverine and twice the goodness!  

Haha, Glad you have your favorite (yeah?) character back!!!

The second story with Omega Red was the most memorable.  That will likely grow into something very interesting.

I agree and the only reason I have it my "maybe" keep up with it column  Grin

Cable #1 - So first half of the book I was hating.  Did not like at all.  Thankfully all that just led to the main point of this arc which clearly leads to the Sword of X crossover.  Loved that it dealt with
Space Knights like Rom!
 But without Rom of course due to licensing.
At that point I was sold on reading this for awhile.  Then they sealed the deal with the last page!!!  OH YEAH!!  I'm in for this one!!

Yeppers. That reveal, well, both reveals, was pretty cool. Still dropping it, well, adding it to MU I mean, but it almost had me
 Grin

X-Men/Fantastic Four #1 - Good start.  Man it's really looking like the X-Men are the bad guys now.

Something is there, buddy. Something!!!!  Grin

Excalibur #9 - I wonder if this is a big hit with previous Excalibur fans.  I never read them ...

Same and maybe that is why it isn't doing it for me as well. I know OF them, mostly anyway, but not "getting" it. That "feel"
 Undecided

So why am I ambivalent towards this title?

I think for the same reason you said at first  Undecided

Batman #91 - I'm done.  This is just really boring.  And the next arc is yet ANOTHER war with the Joker.  I'm out.
And with dropping this I'm now officially not reading any current DC Comics.

Gotta love it when Joker shows up in Batman!!! Oh what's that? He is in like every conflict we have now with Batman? Yeah he is isn't he
 Angry
I feel like Jane from the Brady Bunch!!!
Joker
Joker
Joker

BAH!!

Maybe I'll try out that Suicide Squad Perry is raving about...

There ya go!!! But then again, being big two free isn't a bad thing either.  Grin But if you do decide to try, you should enjoy it and it should hook you at issue #1, but if it doesn't hook ya by issue #2 ... well then try #3  Cheesy Cheesy
Just kidding.
I was really impressed with the first issue (that I was told to read  Undecided that bastard) but it had some new characters in it so I was still leery, a tad but when I hit that second issue, BAM I was hooked hard. And by the third?!?!?! Oh yeah
Again, if you ever read any Secret Six you should like this ... probably
 Grin

Family Tree #4 - Nice action issue.  This isn't one of the best Jeff Lemire tale...yet.  It's getting better with each issue.  After this one I'm really looking forward to see what happens in the next issue.

I do like me some Jeff Lemire, and this is a well written title, but I ahve just not been able to get the good vibe when reading it. That "feel" is not hitting me yet. Going to give issue #5 a shot, the last issue in this arc, but after that ... I don't know man ...
 Undecided

EDIT 2

Angry

Yep , forgot my reads this time
 Angry

Grin

Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #3
- A really fun story set in the Old Man Logan Universe. A must add for MU guys!!
Savage Avengers #9
Savage Avengers #10
- I wish this was on MU. I like it, but I don't want to say it is worth the price. But... Conan. And its good Conan! I don't know. May rethink it. But keep your eyes open for me if it does hit MU?  Smiley Please

Batman #91 - Funny that I found this a little better than the last couple, but like Jeff I think I am done.Like King or not, at least he brought something to Bats. This is stuff that has been done so many times before that I just don't need it, I don't think. Sad, as I do like Tynion.

Rai #4 - After opening #5, I had to go back and read/look at the ending of this to refresh my brain Grin
Rai #5 - After refreshing my brain with #4 and opening this back up  Grin I found this to be a decent ending to this particular story. Not the END end, but end of that segment  Cheesy Man do I love Ryp's art!!!
You a fan of the art, Jeff? Just curious
 Cool
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:29:01 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »

I went to the first X-force with Kid Cable. OMG this art is atrocious! Sorry, but I want a super hero look. This ain't it.

Yeah it’s impossible to enjoy because of that art.  And it doesn’t get any better.  You won’t miss anything if you skip it IMO.

Duly noted! It's off the list!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »

Also I have never read Umbrella Academy.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »

Also I have never read Umbrella Academy.

Its great. Well, unless you don't care for the art  Grin

Have you seen the show? They make changes, but not too bad and what they change works pretty darn well!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »

Oeming's art is probably great on a different book with different characters, but not X-Force.

I do want to clarify one thing however, the guy that was on X-Force was Dylan Burnett. Michael Oeming was the other guy you hated, from the Young Justice Warlord image
 Wink
A fine artist there. That one. And even though you don't like him either  Grin, I will go to the mat for him because ... well ... I was the same way for a time  Grin until I got through the first 3 or 4 issues of Powers and then I found the appreciation

In that case, replace "Oeming" with "Burnett" everywhere in my post above.   Wink

You keep saying I hate the artist and that is just not true.  I don't hate the artist.  I hate his art on this particular book.  I've been pretty consistent in saying his art might be something I like on a different book.

Oh, and lastly (and Jimmy and I just spoke on this yesterday) ... regardless of our level of dislike for Burnett's style, I think we can all agree that Mike Del Mundo's style should never again grace the pages of Thor
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Oh that goes without saying!   Cheesy

I told Jimmy that I liked his stuff on the title Weirdworld because it fit. Somehow or for some reason it worked.

Yes! This is exactly what I'm trying to say above about Burnett (and Oeming).  I loved Weirdworld and the art was right for that book.

Wolverine #1 - I really liked this book.  And with two stories you got twice the Wolverine and twice the goodness!  

Haha, Glad you have your favorite (yeah?) character back!!!

Yes you are correct.  Wolverine remains my favorite character.

Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #3
- A really fun story set in the Old Man Logan Universe. A must add for MU guys!!

Cool.  I pick up all of the OML Universe books as they hit MU.  Wrapping up Old Man Quill right now.  Not as good as Old Man Hawkeye (which was incredibly awesome) but I'm enjoying it still and pretty sure I already know who will be in that Avengers of the Wasteland book since they've been forming in these other books.  Should be fun!

Rai #4 - After opening #5, I had to go back and read/look at the ending of this to refresh my brain Grin
Rai #5 - After refreshing my brain with #4 and opening this back up  Grin I found this to be a decent ending to this particular story. Not the END end, but end of that segment  Cheesy Man do I love Ryp's art!!!
You a fan of the art, Jeff? Just curious
 Cool

I do like this art.  I was a big fan of the original art from the original book and this is nothing like that.  But I still like it as the characters are still drawn "right" (?) and not cartoonish.  Thumbs up!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 12:52:01 AM »

X-Men Titles Catch-Up
Wolverine #1
Cable #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #1
X-Men/Fantastic Four #2
X-Force #9
Excalibur #9

ComiXolgy
Batman #91
Bloodshot #0
Family Tree #4

The Visitor #3
Undiscovered Country #4

Satellite Sam # 1
Satellite Sam # 2
Satellite Sam # 3
Satellite Sam # 4
Satellite Sam # 5

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #4
Doctor Strange #19
Invaders #9
Invisible Woman #3
King Thor #1
Moon Knight Annual #1

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #3 - Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!  This story just escalated after that last page reveal.  I am really "digging" this book!

The Visitor #3 - Dangit.  I should have dropped this when I had the chance.  This was the best issue to date and now I'm hooked. :-)

Undiscovered Country #4 - Good issue.  Betrayal.  Hope returns.  Thuths are revealed.  Live Free of Die!  (Yeah, I got caught up in it!) 

Hazel & Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy - Sadly, I didn't really like this.  And partly was because...drum roll....the art looked too normal!!  It didn't look like it was supposed too - all cartoony!!  Why couldn't Oeming do this one?!?!?!? 

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest #4 (of 6) - Whew!  That was a long one.  Didn't help that half the book was in 3-D and since it's didgital I did not have any 3-D glasses.  That was hard on the eyes.  But we're coming closer to finale as issue 5 should be a biggie!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS