HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:34:39 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 4, 2020  (Read 10182 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 10:13:01 PM »

Oh man! You know I won’t be able to resist going back and getting all that X stuff now!!!   Angry  Grin

I went back and looked and really, I only need Marauders and Excalibur to catch up and both of them have a TPB coming out in April that will be cheaper than grabbing the first six issues.  (But will I wait that long?)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:53 AM »

ComiXology
Batman #90
Birthright #41
Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey & Emma Frost
Gideon Falls #21
Isola #10

Five Years Vol1: Fire in the Sky (Collects issues #1-5)
Tales from Dark Multiverse Vol 1
        Collects:
          1. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1
          2. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman #1
          3. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1
          4. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1
          5. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract #1
            Plus these inspirational issues:
          6. Batman #497
          7. Superman #75
          8. Blackest Night #1
          9. Infinite Crisis #1
          10. Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #18
Marvel Comic #1000
She-Hulk Annual #1
Spider-Man Life Story #6
Thor #16
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 1
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 2
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 3
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 4
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Blackest Night #1 - Wow! I forgot how good Geoff John's was and how great this mini was.  Watching..
Ralph and Sue Dibny kill Hawkman and Hawkgirl was brutal all over again.  I had forgotten that happened and wow that was just as big a gut punch as the first time!

9. Infinite Crisis #1 - Another reminder of how John's used to get me excited to read DC Comics.  I didn't like everything he did to the universe, but it was always fun to read!

10. Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3 - I miss this Teen Titans!!  Nightwing - Changeling - Cyborg - Starfire - Raven - Wonder Girl!  And the end of the Terra storyline.  Never has there been a more tragic character.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »

I went back and looked and really, I only need Marauders and Excalibur to catch up and both of them have a TPB coming out in April that will be cheaper than grabbing the first six issues.  (But will I wait that long?)

Grin Hard to tell. I will say that ... man ... I don't want to say it  Grin, but man, I am so up and down on this X stuff and I don't want to (keep) leading you in a direction that you may regret  Grin

I am still enjoying Marauders, but not as much as that issue #9 and then the subsequent issues #2 and #3, but I am now at the point where my lack of 90's/00's X stuff is lessening the "fun" a tad. There are, what I can only guess, are tons of references and lots of characters making their way into this world that I have no connection to at all, no idea who they are, and while I can take one or two characters that are new to me, having what seems like an entire universe of "related" X characters leaping out into my head all at once is kinda numbing.

It's weird too as I felt the exact opposite with Strange Academy. All of these new characters hit me as "Oh, I am gonna love learning about these guys", while here, all of these "new to me" characters leave a very dissimilar feeling. Odd, that.

I guess it is the fact that other readers already know about these characters and so they are written in a manner that accommodates that. Maybe? While the new characters are ... well, new  Grin and they are being written in a different way?

Now heck, for all I know some or all of these new X characters are new, but I highly doubt that, based on dialog and things that I have been shown. For example -
They show the way Sebastian Shaw's son, Shinobi (no idea who this guy is, other than his son, of course) was killed so I can only guess that is from a 90's X-Men arc, but I have no connection to that character.
and of course there are a lot more people running around that may be very cool to past readers, so that is why I think you will dig this, but at the same time I don't want you to not like it because you don't like some of those very same characters.
 Grin

I don't know man, just use your own judgement and don't listen to me about anything X related.
 Grin Grin

That said, I did get a few more in and I am starting to enjoy it again Grin and hell, I can always use a wiki to let me know who is who, huh?Cheesy Cheesy

Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7
- Sadly, I was spoiled by the upcoming cover to issue #11, so please don't try and see that, Jeff Undecided, but I still had a very good, although slight, emotional reaction to some things in the last issue. Not over powering, I don't mean to over sell it, but yeah, even as small as it was I felt just a little, very little, twinge when somethings happened. Pretty good stuff, although I hope the art can settle in. Sometimes I don't enjoy the "Archie" like style of one of the artists (Pennino, I think). I prefer the latest issue's art by Casseli, even compared to that of Lolli, whom I don't mind, but none of the artists are a deal breaker either way.
Only one more issue to go and I will be caught up on this title, although I may (probably will) skim back through issue #9 just to put the period on the sentence.  Grin

Joker: Killer Smile #1
Joker: Killer Smile #2
Joker: Killer Smile #3

Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Marauders #1
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Strange Academy #1

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »

I read your spoiler and to those of us versed in the X-World it really isn’t a spoiler.  That character ran the Hellfire club for a few years and was an interesting villain.  If anything it makes me more interested.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 03:47:29 PM »

I read your spoiler and to those of us versed in the X-World it really isn’t a spoiler.  That character ran the Hellfire club for a few years and was an interesting villain.  If anything it makes me more interested.

That's exactly what I thought  Grin

But for me, or guys that missed all that 90's X stuff, we are flying more blind than normal here
 Grin

But its fine. We will get by well enough. Maybe.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 02:32:38 AM »

ComiXology
Batman #90
Birthright #41
Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey & Emma Frost
Gideon Falls #21
Isola #10

Five Years Vol1: Fire in the Sky (Collects issues #1-5)
        Collects:
          1. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1
          2. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman #1
          3. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1
          4. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1
          5. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract #1
            Plus these inspirational issues:
          6. Batman #497
          7. Superman #75
          8. Blackest Night #1
          9. Infinite Crisis #1
          10. Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #18
Marvel Comic #1000

She-Hulk Annual #1
Spider-Man Life Story #6
Thor #16
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 1
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 2
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 3
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 4
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Doctor Strange #18 - Nice one shot.  Very funny and a nice happy ending.

Marvel Comic #1000 - I liked this.  I'm assuming the Black Raider shows up at some point in Immortal Hulk?  Or did Ewing get another book?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »

Marvel Comic #1000 - I liked this.  I'm assuming the Black Raider shows up at some point in Immortal Hulk?  Or did Ewing get another book?

Well, what can I say that wouldn't be spoilers? I will only say this ... I don't remember the Black Panther aspect of the story soooo ...
 Grin

Okay, honestly, while I liked how Ewing tied all this in, I have yet to see anything come from it. Other than Marvel 1001 of course.  Grin
There is something here, with... let's just call it "the mask" and all and maybe I just missed it when they dove more into that, but I haven't seen anything, though I am hopeful to see something at some point.

Breevort came to Ewing with the idea of making a one page history of the MU, tied together by something and Al did a good job of it, but not sure if the higher-ups want anymore of it or not?
 Undecided

That said, I am caught up on Marauders now and just in time for the new week to begin. Maybe Excalibur now?!  Grin

Marauders #8
Marauders #9 (Reread)
- Yep, on the upswing again!  Grin

Joker: Killer Smile #1
Joker: Killer Smile #2
Joker: Killer Smile #3

Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Marauders #1
Marauders #2
Marauders #3
Marauders #4
Marauders #5
Marauders #6
Marauders #7
Strange Academy #1

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS