HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:45:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 4, 2020  (Read 10180 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 03:20:02 AM »

ComiXology
Batman #90
Birthright #41
Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey & Emma Frost
Gideon Falls #21
Isola #10

Five Years Vol1: Fire in the Sky (Collects issues #1-5)
Tales from Dark Multiverse Vol 1
        Collects:
          1. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1
          2. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman #1
          3. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1
          4. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1
          5. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract #1
            Plus these inspirational issues:
          6. Batman #497
          7. Superman #75
          8. Blackest Night #1
          9. Infinite Crisis #1
          10. Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #18
Marvel Comic #1000
She-Hulk Annual #1
Spider-Man Life Story #6
Thor #16
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 1
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 2
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 3
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 4
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1 - Now that was...(wait for it)...pretty dark!  I liked it.  But of course, I've always been a fan of alternate reality a la Marvel's What If? comics!

2. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman #1 - An interesting twist on the Death of Superman story and Lois like we've never seen her before.  Not bad.

3. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1 - Ugh.  This was terrible.  Thankfully it just came with the collection and I didn't buy this single issue.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »

They got a movie about it coming soon as well

THAT I didn't know!

Saw it the other day.  Smiley But how far along they are and if it will ever see light of day ...? That is a totally different question.  Cheesy

Man, I screwed up last night and had a few drinks for the first time in ... awhile and spent a little too much on comics.
 Undecided
Wife is ... not going to be what I would call overly happy when she wakes up in a few moments and I tell her warn her about it. She is going to have a few less green backs to spend on stuff when she goes to her next union meeting in New Hampshire in a couple weeks
 Shocked
But hey, that is what per diem is for, yeah?
 Cheesy
(Maybe I shouldn't use that joke with her?)
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 05:37:44 PM »

Glad to hear it’s still running Jeff! Yup, I had heard it was optioned to be a movie, which made me super leary, because at that time, they were taking a break from it, which to me meant, ‘uh oh’ here’s another title not getting finished.

But then I read the newsarama article in January talking about it returning..issue 41...and it’s going to a series end at #50! Yay! I love knowing what is planned!

Unlike that Damned Nick Spencer and Morning Glories. I didn’t even read the last 12 issues before #50 and ‘season 2’ ending as I was buying the Ultimate Hardcover, and they never put out a number 4 dress… makes me wonder if Image knew Spencer was checking out/’taking a break’ or whatever.

That was 4 years ago. It’s dead to me now.

But yeah Birthright!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 08:16:45 PM »

Like I didn't have enough to read ...

I decided to play a game. With the old ComicBook Data Base no longer a thing  Cry Cry Cry, I tried to find a comparable site. I failed, but I did find one that is kinda close ... kinda. I found the Marvel Fandom Database and while not as comprehensive as CBDB (but what was?) it does provide some information on each title. That is good, but not close to CBDB ... it doesn't show a complete list of creator stuff like the good ole CBDB did so well.  Undecided

With that site, I could type in ... say John Byrne and each and every issue that John Byrne had a hand in (including Penciler, cover artist, inker, writer, etc ...) would be listed, and linked.  It was so damn good. Comicbook dot com has bought it, but their "Database" is horrid right now. I hope it gets better over time.

Anyway, going back to this new game, I decided that I when I join MU again, I would go to the site and click the "random comic" link and would read whatever issue it gave me
Just testing it and THIS is the first comic that came up. So yeah, I will read that when I join MU.

Stupid. You bet. But I was bored.

Give it a try if you want. In the big red banner, to the right of the "wrod balloon" you will see Marvel Database. But under the word Database, there is a pull down menu that states Comics. Put your mouse on that and click "Random", see what issue you get and give it a read.
 Cheesy
They also have a "random" search under the character pull-down menu as well if you want to roll the dice that way.

Off now to see if there is a DC version of this site
 Smiley

EDIT -
And there is!! Yea!!!
HERE
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:19:19 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 01:40:42 AM »

I got this issue HERE.

I would read that but it's not on MU.  Bummer!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »

I got this issue HERE.

I would read that but it's not on MU.  Bummer!!!

Oh damn, That would've been a cool one!!  Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 10:26:12 PM »

Joker: Killer Smile #1
Joker: Killer Smile #2
Joker: Killer Smile #3
- Jeff's favorite writer ... and one of mine as well ... Jeff Lemire comes on pretty strong on his (and fellow Gideon Falls creator and ex-Green Arrow artist Sorrentino's) three part Black Label mini. It wasn't mind-blowing or life changing, not for us anyway, and that's a spoiler hint Wink, but it was pretty cool. Worth the money? I hate to say "no" as mileage will vary so let me approach it this way ... Am I happy I paid what I paid for it? No,   Cheesy but I am glad I read it, so in the long run I think it will even out.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »

- Jeff's favorite writer ... and one of mine as well ... Jeff Lemire comes on pretty strong on his (and fellow Gideon Falls creator and ex-Green Arrow artist Sorrentino's) three part Black Label mini. It wasn't mind-blowing or life changing, not for us anyway, and that's a spoiler hint Wink, but it was pretty cool. Worth the money? I hate to say "no" as mileage will vary so let me approach it this way ... Am I happy I paid what I paid for it? No,   Cheesy but I am glad I read it, so in the long run I think it will even out.
 Smiley

I’m so glad you read this! It’s on my wish list but I haven’t gotten around to pulling the trigger.  Since you didn’t hate it I know I’ll be ok with buying it.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »

Since you didn’t hate it I know I’ll be ok with buying it.   Grin

Cheesy
Well we can hope for that to be true  Grin

So in preparation for X of Swords, I decided to try and get back into the X-Books that I initially fended off from my list. I started with one of my least enjoyable titles that I had read during Hickman's first onslaught, Marauders. I read issue #9 just to see if I wanted to try and get back in and man, I gotta tell ya, I enjoyed it. Quite a bit. Well, we know where that lead me, yeah?
 Grin
I also went ahead and tried the last two issues of the other book that didn't wow me at first, Excalibur, and I think, as much as I want to get into it, I am just not that into this. That being said, it wasn't horrible. However, I feel this title, from what I read in that article I posted, will be an important one, so I may try and start over with it as well. We will see.

Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8 - I enjoyed #7 more than this by a good bit. Makes it even more confusing for me  Undecided
Marauders #1 - Re-read
Marauders #2
Marauders #3
- I think I should have stayed on this title!!! Issue one is still not a great issue for me, but it does gain in its enjoyment quotient as it goes along. That is why there is a three issue rule, Perry!!!  Cheesy Of course that rule was in effect when I was paying DCBS prices, so there is that
 Grin Cheesy
Wait, should I return to that?
Oh man!!!
Am I really putting that in my head right now??

Okay, wait a minute ... all that said, I am going to now get to some of the issues that came out this past week that I really wanted to read, and give the X a break for a moment  Cool

Ohhh, I can't stop thinking about DCBS ...
Damn it!!!
WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST DO!?!?!?!
 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »

Oh man! You know I won’t be able to resist going back and getting all that X stuff now!!!   Angry  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »

Oh man! You know I won’t be able to resist going back and getting all that X stuff now!!!   Angry  Grin

Oh no, see? Because you are now wanting to read all of it, due to me wanting to read all of it, I now want to read all of it even more!!

It is like a sickness ... Comicnavirus!!!!
 Cheesy

Only read one last night, but it was one I was really excited for.

Strange Academy #1 - A very typical start to a new series, especially one featuring almost all new characters, but it has all the cliches that I want  Grin

Much like when New Mutants first came out all those years ago, there is a cool unfamiliarity that I enjoy. Learning who these new characters are is going to be part of the fun.
Much like the X kids, we are getting "guest appearances" of some teachers, so I will get to see Daimon Hellstrom and Nico Minuro again!  Grin
Already there is the classic "opposites attract" going on between two kids that hate each other. One, a kid from Asgard (whose twin brother is also here) is being roomed with, get this ... Dormammu's kid?!?! Yep Doyle Dormammu is here. Love that!
Some of the other kids showcased here are, like I said above, going to be really cool to learn about. There are about 12 brand new characters! One kid, Thoth, from Weirdworld looks like a frozen or icy Man-Thing  Grin
There is a Frost Giant, a Half-Fairy from Otherworld, a demon from Limbo and a few human (or human looking) characters to fill out the crowd. Quite a large cast of new characters, but the good news are they are new. Not just thrown in as replacements for others  Wink

Oh, and the art is really good too. Of course I have always enjoyed Ramos' art, but he has actually eased his style down here. It is not as ... confusing looking as it has been at times in the past. It looks really good in its less stylized manner. 

Jeff, I know you were not looking forward to this, at least not as much as I, but I do hope you give it a try in 6 months when it hits MU. I honestly think you will dig it.

Excalibur #7
Excalibur #8
Marauders #1
Marauders #2
Marauders #3

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 03:18:41 PM »

Also just noticed that you didn't use the thread I started for this week
 Tongue

Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »

Also just noticed that you didn't use the thread I started for this week
 Tongue

Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Lol oops!  I guess I was the one who got confused!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »

Ha! I successfully merged them into one topic!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »

ComiXology
Batman #90
Birthright #41
Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey & Emma Frost
Gideon Falls #21
Isola #10

Five Years Vol1: Fire in the Sky (Collects issues #1-5)
        Collects:
          1. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Batman: Knightfall #1
          2. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Death of Superman #1
          3. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Blackest Night #1
          4. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1
          5. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract #1
            Plus these inspirational issues:
          6. Batman #497
          7. Superman #75
          8. Blackest Night #1
          9. Infinite Crisis #1
          10. Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #18
Marvel Comic #1000
She-Hulk Annual #1
Spider-Man Life Story #6
Thor #16
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 1
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 2
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 3
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 4
Wolverine: The Long Night Adaptation # 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis #1 - Liked it.  Basically what if Blue Beetle hadn’t been killed by Max Lord!

5. Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Teen Titans: The Judas Contract #1 - Lot of fun.  Always loved Terra from back in the day.  Nice to see what her true power level could have been.

6. Batman #497 - I don’t think I ever read this before. Nice to finally read the story that birthed a movie.

7. Superman #75 - still hate Doomsday

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS