HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:42:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 19, 2020  (Read 6218 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 19, 2020, 12:06:45 AM »

I've got a pretty busy weekend so I'm not sure if I'll get to all of these even though it is shorter than my normal lists.

ComiXolgy
Batman #89
Legion of Super-Heroes #4
New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2
Harrow County Vol. 7: Dark Times A'Coming (Collects issues 25-28)
Joe Hill's The Cape: Fallen #1
Joe Hill's The Cape: Fallen #2
Joe Hill's The Cape: Fallen #3
Joe Hill's The Cape: Fallen #4

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #10
Invaders #8
Silver Surfer: Black #3
Silver Sufer: The Prodigal Sun #1
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:23:49 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

———————————————————————————

Batman #89 - Some fun Catwoman & Harley team-up.  This story could be better but it is somewhat intriguing.

Legion of Super-Heroes #4 - I’m done.  If your going to retcon away a team that fans loved you should at least make it interesting.  This may go down as one of Bendis’ worst books.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

New Mutants #7 - I’m glad this arc is over.  This particular issue I found pretty funny.  Honestly, I was annoyed at first.  But the more over the top it got the more I began to change my mind and ultimately really liked the issue.  I’m looking forward to seeing what’s next.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:23:01 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:36:55 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

Family Tree #3 - Pretty weird - but it is Jeff Lemire.  Still trying to understand what's going on and the tension is building.  I'm expecting big things in issue 4.

The Visitor #2 - There's nothing here I hate, but I don't feel pulled into the intrigue yet.  Also not feeling anything for the characters.  But I normally love time travel stories so I'll stick with at least next issue to see if a payoff is coming.

Doctor Strange #17 - Yuck.  I didn't like this ending at all.  It's been done too many times before.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #10 - That's the end of that arc.  This comic is still decent but I've gotten bored with it.  I'm done with it for now.  Might come back later.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:49:59 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

Invaders #8 - Good issue.  Love the addition of the surprise guest hero.  Seeing them with Namor again really got me psyched.  Thumbs up!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 05:37:36 PM »

Nothing. Embarrassed

And I'm sorry/not sorry to say that I'm right about Bendis.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »

And I'm sorry/not sorry to say that I'm right about Bendis.

Ha, the hate on your side is always there  Cheesy Grin Smiley

And I am not trying to be a Bendis apologist, I do get the reasoning, of course  Smiley but I still don't find him horrible on all things. Not like you yourself seem to  Cheesy And hey, that's is of course 100% cool. I mean I may not be digging his Superman or Action right now, but having enjoyed many a solo title from him in the past, I must also say that I did enjoy his Superman and/or Action for some of the arcs. I can't say that many people have reached that level before ... that getting me to enjoy Supes level.  Grin In-fact many a better writer has tried and failed, so ... he always has that, even if it was fleeting Cheesy

It's funny what we end up liking

Now I haven't read the last two issues of Legion so I can't speak on those (but it seems I may not dig on that as well if Jeff is any indication  Grin), but I have never really cared for Bendis on team books anyway, so nothing really new there  Grin I do know I wasn't blown away by his first two issues, at all, but found the art more of a point of contention for me as it was a little too bright and muddled into one blur for my taste.
 Undecided

But yeah, we know you love you some Bendis
 Grin Grin

As for my reading so far for this week -

Immortal Hulk #29 - And the monsters are loose!
New Mutants #5 - Loved this Hickman issue. Truly an X-Book I am on board for!
New Mutants #6 - Crap. Maybe not. Didn't enjoy this issues writing nor the art that much. WTF?
New Mutants #7 - And BAM! Back to being good. 4th wall breaking and all. Am I going to split this title?
X-Force #6
X-Force #7
- I think I will just ask Jeff if he minds giving me plot details on this title. I just don't enjoy Percy
Wolverine #1 - Percy is my Bendis.  Cheesy No, that's not accurate at all. I at least know what bugs people about Bendis, I can see it, it just doesn't bug me as much.  Grin With Percy though, I can't tell ya why I don't like it and that is even more frustrating. Was it ... spoilers for those X-Force issues above ...
Beast's cavalier attitude about the humans that were turned into those plants monsters in X-Force? It is now okay to kill "those" humans?
Is it stuff like that? Maybe? I don't know. I just know I have tried and tried, from his  Green Arrow (something Jimmy really enjoyed even), to his Nightwing (something I really wanted to like) all the way to now, I just can't get into Percy.
 Angry
Even with the neat cliffhanger in X-Force #7, the Domino issue, I was so annoyed by the time I got to the ending I didn't even care. I mean,
why was this "new assassin" so lucky, always lucky, up until someone else just happened to be around? Why was that? That is not how someones powers work!! It shouldn't cancel one's luck out!!! Not when the other has not had luck since ... well ya know
HEY, A breakthrough!! I at least knew what bugged me about that one issue
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 11:05:23 PM »

I agree with you on how Percy is portraying Beast. I don’t like it at all. That’s just not Hank.  I may move X-Force to my MU reading after this arc.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »

I agree with you on how Percy is portraying Beast. I don’t like it at all. That’s just not Hank.

Right? I wasn't sure if it was just me or not  Grin so having you say you agree does mean that I read it the way I did. Beast is certainly off in this title. I had noticed it a little bit earlier, but in issue #6 it really stood out. He was almost uncaring, bitter even, towards the idea of the  ... well ... you know.

I understand if you are not buying Wolverine, but I will say that even though Percy has the overall voice of Logan, there is still something there that seems off as well, so if you do decide to breakdown and buy it or even if you wait for the MU, I am very interested in hearing what you thought of his version of one of your favorite (if not favorite) characters. Again, he did okay with him, I thought, but it was almost like I was waiting for the same thing that happened in X-Force #6 with Beast to occur in this issue. Like it was right around the corner. I feel it will be, at least for me, so I'm out I think.

Of course I hope it never does, for you and people that love Wolvie, but maybe it's better that I wait until I re-up my MU to continue this.
 Undecided

I got a couple more in last night as well -

Fantastic Four #19 - UGH. Finally! This arc is done. I will say the art has been pretty enjoyable at least.

Bang #1 - A fun 007'ish story that shows how Idras Elba could easily become James Bond. Great idea!
Doctor Tomorrow #1 - Sadly it was ... bordering on okay. Valiant but more like Zenoscope in feel. 
Five Years #8 - Read this at the LCS. I KNOW, I KNOW. "Bad, Perry". But its done at #10. Saving $ HA.
Harrow County #14 - Diving back in and it is starting out fine. Mother, meet yarn!!!  Wink Grin
Plunge #1 - A Joe Hill "Hill House Comics" imprint but written by Hill himself. Pretty damn enjoyable and nice to see Stuart Immonen again, even though his style here is a little different. Better even, maybe? Certainly more realistic looking. Thanks to a recent tsunami, an oil companies mapping ship that went down 40 years ago has reappeared on a reef and the oil company hires a small salvage crew to go get the data from the ship. Whatever will they find?  Grin I'm on for this 6 issue mini, "fo sho".

Immortal Hulk #29
New Mutants #5
New Mutants #6
New Mutants #7
X-Force #6
X-Force #7

Wolverine #1

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 03:32:46 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

Joe Hill's The Cape: Fallen #1-4 -  Now we know what happened during the three days Eric was missing.  I was hoping for a continuation instead of a look back but this was still a good story. Thumbs up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 04:23:11 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

Silver Surfer: Black #3 - and this just keeps getting more interesting. Ego the living planet! And what Silver Surfer finds should make next issue explode!

Silver Sufer: The Prodigal Sun #1 - enjoying this little crossover. I’m looking forward to the Guardians of the Galaxy finale.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »

Actually reading a lot more than I thought I would for this week ... of course now that I said that, I won't be able to read another thing.
 Cheesy

Family Tree #4 - Jeff, was wondering, do you find this art as off putting as you did Oemings? Just curious
Harrow County #15 - More info on "the Family" and Hester's past.
Locke & Key: Small World #1 - A quick reread as I was feeling nostalgic for some Rodriguez art. So good
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #3 - Man, this feels like the good Black Hammer stuff. Nice to see return to form
Gideon Falls #20
Gideon Falls #21
- Okay, but then I get to this Lemire stuff and ... I'm not sure if it is the art (which I do love, honestly) or the flow, or what, but now that this arc is done I think I am now going to wait on this series to be finished and read all at once. It has become hard for me to remember what has happened when I read it monthly or a few at a time.  Just don't have the memory any longer to sustain the characters when they look so similar and
the alternate world
aspect of the story. I need to do this in one, continuous read through. Why can't we get recaps in monthly comics? Undecided Embarrassed

Flash: Rebirth #6 - Had to check it out. Not much here other than what we have discussed. Save your money
Suicide Squad #1
Suicide Squad #2
- Okay, I folded and grabbed another of my LCS (the small one) patron's suggestion after flipping through the book with him. And yeah, money well spent. If you have ever enjoyed Suicide Squad or (even the much better) Secret Six, then this is a must read. Great story that has built over these first two issues (loved what we were shown at the end of issue #2) that only seems to be going higher. Plus the art is very clean and, hell, very nice to look at. Good stuff all around. Maybe wait for one more issue to take the plunge, just in-case, but right now all I can say is when issue #3 of this hits, it will be my first read. Top of the Stack this is!!!

And a special shout out to Rodney for saving me money on the Flash mini. Saved me from buying the first 5 issues so, yeah, thanks man!
 Cool

Immortal Hulk #29
New Mutants #5
New Mutants #6
New Mutants #7
X-Force #6
X-Force #7

Wolverine #1
Fantastic Four #19

Bang #1 
Doctor Tomorrow #1  
Five Years #8
Harrow County #14
Plunge #1

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

I will never apologize for my Bendis bias, but I also will never ask to be taken seriously either, if that helps! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

I will never apologize for my Bendis bias, but I also will never ask to be taken seriously either, if that helps! Grin

HAHA, nawwww, man. Never apologize for that.  Cheesy Cheesy

Just trying to express my own love/hate with the man.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #89

New Mutants #7
Family Tree #3
The Visitor #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #17
Invaders #8

Harrow County Vol. 7: Dark Times A'Coming (Collects issues 25-28) - I'm a little confused by who Emmy and Kammi are.  It seems like just when I get it...I don't.  I guess the next volume will start to explain it again.  That said, this volume was the epic battle you'd expect and as the title says - it get's a lot darker.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS