HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:56:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 5, 2020  (Read 4165 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 05, 2020, 02:42:52 AM »

One month of 2020 already down.  At this rate I'm gonna be old before I know it.

Let's hope reading these books will help keep my mind sharp!

ComiXolgy
Batman #88
Martian Manhunter #12 - Final Issue!
Gideon Falls #20
Harrow County Vol. 4: Family Tree (Collects issues 13-16)
Strange Adventures #1  (Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #1 and MYSTERY IN SPACE #1)
Joe Hill's The Cape Vol 1 (Collects THE CAPE ONE SHOT and THE CAPE #1-4)

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #16
Marvel Comics Presents #7
Venom Annual #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #7
Thanos #4
Star Wars Age of Resistance: Captain Phasma #1
Star Wars: Tie Fighter #4
Doctor Aphra #34

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 01:42:53 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #88
Gideon Falls #20
Strange Adventures #1  (Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #1 and MYSTERY IN SPACE #1)

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #16
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Harrow County Vol. 4: Family Tree (Collects issues 13-16) - Wow this was a good arc!  Loved the "Family" aspect of this.  I think I'm caught up to Perry.  Not sure if you this was the arc you didn't like but if so, I agree you need to take a break between readings!   Grin   Yep, I really enjoyed this one.  Oh and the good artist is back - thank goodness!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:45:58 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:49:31 AM »

Jumping ahead in my list and going to read this next, Strange Adventures #1.  It's another anthology series similar to that Outlaw Territory book I read a couple of weeks ago except it's more sci-fi instead of westerns.  Here's the stories in this book:

1. Case 21 by Selwyn Seyfu Hinds
2. The White Room by Talia Hershewe
3. Partners by Peter Milligan
4. All the Pretty Ponies by Lauren Beukes
5. Ultra the Mulit-Alien by Jeff Lemire (and the reason I picked this up)
6. Refuse by Ross Campbell
7. The Post-Modern Prometheus by Kevin Golden
8. A "True Story" from Saucer Country
9. Spaceman by Brian Azzarello
10. Verbinsky Doesn't Appreciate It by Duane Swierczynski (another favorite writer of mine!)
11.  Transmission by Andy Diggle
12. Asleep to See You by Ming Doyle
13. Here Nor There by Ann Nocenti
14. The Elgort by Nnedi Okorafar
15. Breeching by Steve Orlando
16. Contact High by Robert Rodi
17. The Dream Pool by Kevin McCarthy
18. Alpha Meets Omega by Mike Allred

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:52:36 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 03:49:19 AM »

10. Verbinsky Doesn't Appreciate It by Duane Swierczynski (another favorite writer of mine!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Case 21 by Selwyn Seyfu Hinds - Not bad start for the book.  Short story taking place in 2119 and a bit of a noir feel.  Or it did at first.  Nice twist making me think I would have liked to have seen this story have more pages.

The White Room by Talia Hershewe - Think of the Holodeck from Star Trek.  Then think of a society addicted to it.  You got the premise for this short story.  I liked it but it was a little sad.

Partners by Peter Milligan - Argh!  I hate stories where they don't tell you what happens and it can go one way or another.  Especially in  short story that pulls you in then leaves you without an ending!  I want to know what happened next.   Angry

All the Pretty Ponies by Lauren Beukes - Virtual reality is real reality?  Trippy one where your left not knowing what is real and what isn't.

Ultra the Mulit-Alien by Jeff Lemire - DAMN YOU JEFF LEMIRE!  Damn this guy can really pull at the heartstrings.  Another fascinating character that you want to keep reading about!

Refuse by Ross Campbell - Aaaaaaaaaaand.....I have no idea what I just read.  But it was really gross.

The Post-Modern Prometheus by Kevin Golden - The best story yet.  Two experiments fall in love and their race for survival takes us to tragic places.  Great story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »

A "True Story" from Saucer Country - Boring. 

9. Spaceman by Brian Azzarello - Weird but interesting.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 02:53:19 AM »

That's a weird big varied selection there, Jeff. Which means, yay for comics! It's not just super heroes!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 04:51:29 AM »

Verbinsky Doesn't Appreciate It by Duane Swierczynski - some of these are two short.  Just when I start to get invested it’s over.  This is one such story!  Nice twist at the end though.

Transmission by Andy Diggle - Ahhhh. Good and topical story.  The spreading contagion isn’t what you think!

Asleep to See You by Ming Doyle - Don’t want to spoil but I’ll just say a good story about relationships...and cryogenics!

Here Nor There by Ann Nocenti - sometimes your marriage needs a little space before someone goes crazy. And I mean craaaaaaaaaaaazy!

The Elgort by Nnedi Okorafar - a little too weird for my taste but others may like it.  The art was interesting.

Breeching by Steve Orlando - another weird one but spawns some thought. The lower class half man half horse society ritual.

Contact High by Robert Rodi - Relationships and space are not well thought of in these stories.  This one ends crazy as well!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 01:19:40 PM »

I think I got one of these way back when ... I can't find it though.
 Angry
No idea which one it was (MiS or SA), but I do remember having it in my hands ... at home.
 Angry
Gonna try one more time before maybe getting this. Maybe.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 05:33:09 PM »

The Dream Pool by Kevin McCarthy - This one turned out better than I thought it would. Actually caught me by surprise!

Alpha Meets Omega by Mike Allred - Good tale to wrap up the book though just an ok tale in general.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 01:31:37 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #88
Gideon Falls #20

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #16
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34

Batman #88 - Not bad.  The Rogues have a secret, including Catwoman.  And it's almost getting them all killed.

Martian Manhunter #12 - Nice wrap up to this retconned origin story.  Almost seemed like some other character with Riley's art.  Fun seeing the art again since I've missed the old Proof! comics. 

Gideon Falls #20 - This book is so trippy!  I love it.  We're getting closer to....well, something.  Still have no idea where this is ultimately going but I am loving the journey.  And it does feel like we're getting closer to the end.

Joe Hill's The Cape Vol 1 (Collects THE CAPE ONE SHOT and THE CAPE #1-4) - That was NOT what I was expecting this to be.  But Wow!  What a great story.  I should have expected twists from the creator of Locke & Key.  I recommend this one for sure.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 03:24:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
Batman #88
Gideon Falls #20

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #16
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34

Doctor Strange #16 - The big battle with Galactus.  Guest starring just about everyone.  Art seemed a little off on this issue but decent enough.  I'm ready to see what's next.

Marvel Comics Presents #7 - Wolverine story: This has been a great trip through time and a fun trip though three generations of women, all of whom are connected to Logan.  This one is ramping up for the big battle next issue.
Iron Man story: This starts out with Iron Man fighting Subprime Mortgage Man and yes, it only gets worse from there.  This was one dumb story.
Winter Soldier story:  Hmmm.  A bittersweet tale from 1968.  My emotions are in conflict so it must have done what it meant to do.  Good story after all.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »

Joe Hill's The Cape Vol 1 (Collects THE CAPE ONE SHOT and THE CAPE #1-4) - That was NOT what I was expecting this to be.  But Wow!  What a great story.  I should have expected twists from the creator of Locke & Key.  I recommend this one for sure.

Yep, a good one. I read it a long time ago ... in a galaxy far, far ... anyway. I don't remember too much now of course  Cheesy Roll Eyes but I think I remember one part about ... lets just say "mom". Right? Wasn't there ... well, yeah ... his mom.

If I am remembering right
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 09:10:13 PM »

Yep, a good one. I read it a long time ago ... in a galaxy far, far ... anyway. I don't remember too much now of course  Cheesy Roll Eyes but I think I remember one part about ... lets just say "mom". Right? Wasn't there ... well, yeah ... his mom.

If I am remembering right
 Grin

Mom....girlfriend...brother.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 12:52:41 AM »

Mom....girlfriend...brother.....

Okay, yep
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 10:42:03 PM »

From last night and last week -

Conan the Barbarian #12 - Final Arron issue. Great run is what that was
Doctor Strange #20 - last issue. Now for the relaunched "Surgeon Supreme" (And soon, Academy Cool)
Doctor Strange Annual #1 - If you're gonna relaunch, put the year back in as the number!!!  Angry
Fantastic Four #18 - Yeah, yeah, one more issue of this story to go. Then I can complain about the next
Ghost Rider #4 - I really like this series.

Lois Lane #8 - I forgot I wasn't gonna get this anymore. Ooops. It was a'ight. Not enough to pull me back

Captain Ginger v2 #1 - Man I enjoyed the first volume of this, but now the art is ... not the same. NO!!
Isola #10 - Had to come back for this. But now I really do need to stay away until it is finished.
Red Mother #2 - Another pretty decent scare title
Redneck #23
Redneck #24
Redneck #25
- About four sentences in this latest issue (other than Bible verses I mean) and I am fine with that. This was a good one. It took me the first two issue to remember what was going on  Cheesy  Undecided, but once I got there, I was ready. Nice!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS