HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:24:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 1, 2020 HAPPY NEW YEAR!  (Read 9385 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 09:32:31 PM »

pronounced Zia-o-li-an. Means little lotus. Thanks Google!

And thank you as well.
 Cool
But. at the risk of being jerky, is that
ZEE-ah Oh LEE an
ZI-ah Oh Lie an
or the Chinese first sound Shay Oh Lee an?
If you know
 Grin
Thanks for the time again regardless  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 10:09:48 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men #4
Lois Lane #7
Martian Manhunter #11
Justice League Dark #18

Detective Comics #1018
Action Comics #1018
Ascender #7
Bloodshot #3
Criminal #10
East of West #44
Ice Cream Man #16

Undiscovered Country #1
Rai #1
Roku #2
The Boys Vol 9: Big Ride

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Darth Vader #1
Age of X-Man: Nextgen #5
Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler #5
Age of X-Man: X-Tremists #5
Mr & Mrs X #12 - Last Issue!
Uncanny X-Men #20
X-Men Grand Design - X-Tinction #2
Wolverine: Exit Wounds #1
Marvel Comics Presents #5
Marvel Comics Presents #6
War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men #3

--------------------------------------------——————

Bloodshot #3 - Interesting new direction for Bloodshot. I think I’ll enjoy this.

Criminal #10 - pieces start to come together and this can’t end well for these characters. Damn women!

East of West #44 - Everything is now setup for next issues big finale. I hope it doesn’t disappoint.

Ice Cream Man #16 - hmmm. I think they’re running out of ideas.  This started going to an interesting place then went no where. Very unsatisfying ending.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »

pronounced Zia-o-li-an. Means little lotus. Thanks Google!

And thank you as well.
 Cool
But. at the risk of being jerky, is that
ZEE-ah Oh LEE an
ZI-ah Oh Lie an
or the Chinese first sound Shay Oh Lee an?
If you know
 Grin
Thanks for the time again regardless  Smiley

Beats me! LOL

I just took the first thing google spat out at me! Grin

Next up was 'Zhy-o-Lee-an' meaning "zhee e lee anne"

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 02:44:21 AM »

I read;

Dr. Strange 9-15; how cool is this book!?! Jesus Saiz, when here was putting out some gorgeous looking work! And Waid? Thank you Waid for really making Dr. Strange's book something spectacular to read! I'm enjoying reading this so much!!!

Apparently, to get caught up..I simply had to sit down and read. Hunh. Imagine that. If thats the case, I may take up the DC app after my birthday in April and see what's been going on in DC since I quit comics last year October!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »

Beats me! LOL
~
Next up was 'Zhy-o-Lee-an' meaning "zhee e lee anne"

Well thanks again for taking the time in the first place. I'm just so anal about trying to get names right that I spend way too much time on it. Ha
I actually took your it "means little lotus" comment and searched for the pronunciation of that in Chinese. Much safer than risking getting spoiled on the book  Grin and there it was, although they add "hua" to the end, so it may not be exact, but it is pronounced as -

Chow Lin (rhyming sounds = pow + ten)

Or chow lin wah, if you add the hua at the end. And of course I say that knowing I am missing the nuance of all the small variables that languages have, so I know that if I walked up to someone from China and said "Chow lin", they may not have any idea what I am trying to say  Cheesy, but for our American ears, it is close enough.

HERE it is if you want to hear. (click on the speaker in the right box of course)
 Cheesy

So I now know how to say it. Yeah, thanks man!!!
 Smiley

And I was able to knock out a few more late last night and even woke around 2:30 and read another issue
 Cheesy

East of West #6
East of West #7
East of West #8
East of West #9
East of West #10
- Still love what Oracle did to Death  Shocked Shocked Shocked Just as much a wow factor the second time around. Awesome  Cheesy

History of the Marvel Universe #6

East of West #1
East of West #2
East of West #3
East of West #4
East of West #5

EDIT - Oh and yeah Jimmy, Jeff and I both really dig that Dr. Strange run. Really cool and well plotted, but ya know, Waid.  Grin
I still think DC should have hired Waid as Editor-In-Chief or whatever they are called now. The dude's DC knowledge (especially Superman) is incredible, but he just loves comics so much he is a joy to read.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 11:24:05 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »

Batman Beyond #39
Thor #1
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 01:57:06 AM »

EDIT - Oh and yeah Jimmy, Jeff and I both really dig that Dr. Strange run. Really cool and well plotted, but ya know, Waid.  Grin
I still think DC should have hired Waid as Editor-In-Chief or whatever they are called now. The dude's DC knowledge (especially Superman) is incredible, but he just loves comics so much he is a joy to read.

Agreed!  That is a fun Doctor Strange run!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 01:57:55 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men #4
Lois Lane #7
Martian Manhunter #11
Justice League Dark #18

Detective Comics #1018
Action Comics #1018
Ascender #7
Bloodshot #3
Criminal #10
East of West #44
Ice Cream Man #16

Undiscovered Country #1
Rai #1
Roku #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #20

Undiscovered Country #1 - Good first issue.  I was expecting some SJW preaching but happily did not see that here.  It's a very interesting Mad Max type world built in an America 30 years after isolating itself from the rest of the world.  I recommend.  Thumbs up.

Rai #1 - First issue is off with a bang.  I'm hoping this doesn't turn into just a repeat of the last series.  The journey with Raijun though, makes it more interesting.

Roku #2 - Roku is pretty much a bad a$$.  Fun watching the battles in this issue but she almost seems invincible...almost.  

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Darth Vader #1 - Ha!  Good little Darth Vader tale.  Short read but funny ending.

Age of X-Man: Nextgen #5 - Whoa - wasn't expecting this ending!  Really makes you feel for one character in particular.  Very sad.  Thumbs up for how this ended.

Age of X-Man: The Amazing Nightcrawler #5 - The end of this fun series.  I liked it and another sad ending yet hopeful.  Seems like this Age of X-Man mini is going to end better than it started!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:03:03 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 10:57:08 AM »

Undiscovered Country #1 - Good first issue.  I was expecting some SJW preaching but happily did not see that here.  It's a very interesting Mad Max type world built in an America 30 years after isolating itself from the rest of the world.  I recommend.  Thumbs up.

Thought this was a fun, interesting look at a "possible future" comic. Enjoyed it so much I am going to wait to read it.  Grin

Rai #1 - First issue is off with a bang.  I'm hoping this doesn't turn into just a repeat of the last series.  The journey with Raijun though, makes it more interesting.

Really enjoyed the heck out of this. Coming straight from his last mini, but really hit me as a fantastic first issue.

Was only able to knock out two more issues of East of West last night  Cry

East of West #11
East of West #12
- What a great set-up to place blame. That meeting went down all kinds of crazy.  Grin

East of West #1
East of West #2
East of West #3
East of West #4
East of West #5

East of West #6
East of West #7
East of West #8
East of West #9
East of West #10

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

Ugh, Nothing to do this morning so yeah, why not buy some comics? Or I should say waste some money on comics Angry

Okay, I knew going in what I was getting with one of them, but I got a hair up my tush and threw money to the wind anyway and got Incoming, but the Star Wars one? That one kinda made me mad. $6 for four short stories that are in reality, just a sneak peek at what is coming up in the Star Wars titles. It is not, as far as I can tell, THE stories we are getting in the new Star Wars, Vader, Dr. Aphra and Bounty Hunter series, no, more of a 12 or so page short story featuring the creative talent that will be on said titles. Problem is ... they were not that good. The art was decent and the stories were okay, but reading them I could not get the idea out of my head that I just paid for a mere preview book. That isn't the case, not really, I hope, but still, I feel this should have been a free give away to get interest in the new series rather than a $6 one-shot making pay for 4 short stories. They were not bad ... but ...

Don't get me wrong, The new Star Wars title will be starting directly after Empire Strikes back so I am going to get that series ... yet another frustrating thing as I found it an odd choice that they would showcase a story inside this featuring the building of the Hoth base ... ya know, Hoth is at the start of Empire, not the at the end  Huh) but yeah, I will be getting that series, even before getting to the complete 75 issue run that just passed ... I love Empire and look forward to seeing stories from directly after it (at least for the first 5 issues or so  Grin) but this book felt exactly like what it was, a money grab. Not that I blame them, that is what they do, I blame myself for falling for it. And this is not a rant, I don't feel that angry about it, just kinda ... yeah ...
 Undecided

But that is only the beginning of today's happiness!!  Grin But hell, I got some reading in so -

East of West #13
East of West #14
- and the kid is out!!!  Grin

Star Wars: Empire Ascendant #1 - Well, it's all above now.  Cheesy
Thor #1 - I had to. Even though I have yet to read King Thor (Aarons, last four issues on Thor) I couldn't wait to get Donny Cates Thor in my hands. Oh man did I hype myself up for this too much? I think so.  Cry
It wasn't bad, and in-fact I am looking forward to this story, but there are three panels, three depictions that just drove me batty. Almost ruined the entire thing for me. So much so that I will be dropping Mr. Cates a tweet soon (Not in anger, but more of a "why did ..." kinda thing). Spoilers below because, well, spoilers for one and for two I don't want to steer you towards something that may not bother you at all. These are MY issues.  Grin

1 - A panel showing Volstagg running away from ... something ... with his hands on the side of his head. WHAT?!?!?! Picture it? NO!! NO DANNY, NO, NO, NO!! (That may have been an artist choice so I should not blame Danny for that one.)
2- Galactus saying "Please". Again. NO, NO, NO. Asking for "aid"? "Assistance"? Sure, Help? Never!!!
3 - Galactus kneeling for Thor?!?! OH HELL NO!!!!

Those three things happened and I just can't find it in my heart to ignore them. I must say my peace later to Mr. Cates.
 Angry
As for the story ... It would be a grand idea, It is, but even though it is original ... ish, it has a heavy "been there too many times" feel to it, sadly.
 Angry
I'm still on. Will still get it. But I have been brought back down to Earth before ever truly flying with Cate's Thor

Incoming #1 - Yes I got it. Yes I knew going in what I was getting but bought it anyway. Yes this is a $10, 90 plus page preview catalog ... but with a story  Grin This is exactly what this is. A preview of Marvel's upcoming stories in their upcoming monthlies. But it is tied into this pretty cool story. Essentially we are dropped into a mystery that starts on it's own (Okay, not really. It is continued from Marvels 1000 and 1001 comics that came out recently, but you don't need to read those) but then the story takes us, like a little visitation tour, through all the Marvel titles (well, not all, but almost all of the main ones  Cheesy), progressing the story as we go. We get the creative teams from said books, each doing about 3 or 4 or so pages of story letting it flow into another "title" and so on and so on until the big reveal at the end. A revel that most people know already, but if you don't -

The Kree and Skrulls, working together, are getting ready to attack Earth!!

Yep, a preview to the next Marvel event all on one $10 book
 Cheesy Cheesy
Was it worth it? Hell no, b ... okay, yeah, honestly, it was worth it, for me. I got a crap ton of characters in a huge book for the price of two comics (almost) so again, to me, it was. Just based on the fact that I have spent $8 before and got a hell of a lot less if for nothing else.
 Cheesy
I will not be adding most of the new books that were shown, but I will follow when and where I can and I will be getting the event as I have begun to trust Al Ewing to bring me some cool stuff, we just have to keep Slott from mucking it all up  Grin. Will also be keeping up with what I already do get, but I enjoyed the look into "Empyre" anyway.

I also 100% understand why people are pissed about this.  Cheesy

East of West #1
East of West #2
East of West #3
East of West #4
East of West #5

East of West #6
East of West #7
East of West #8
East of West #9
East of West #10

East of West #11
East of West #12

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »

Was only able to knock out two more issues of East of West last night  Cry

East of West #11
East of West #12
- What a great set-up to place blame. That meeting went down all kinds of crazy.  Grin

I think I'm going to go back and re-read the whole series once I finish the last issue.  I finished this off in single issues but I've always thought it read better collected.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 10:16:00 PM »

I read the first 15/17 or so back to back the first time and doing it this time, with the intention of reading all the way through, I can not imagine trying to read this title monthly. I no longer have the memory nor the brain capacity for that feat.
 Grin

Heck, there is one period, where something happens near the end of an issue ... we will say issue 9 ... it was this geat, full page spread ... and then the issue ends shortly after that, but the the next issue  ... #10 (we are saying)  starts off at a different subject matter/part of the story and we don't even touch on that panel in issue #9. And  by the time we return to what happened in that panel (say issue #11 now ... a mere issue and and a quarter later or so), they showed us the exact same panel as a refresher, and I had already forgotten what had happened!!!! Took my a few more panels to say "Oh, yeah, THAT is what happened here"
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Again, that is just waiting the next day ... maybe  Cheesy Yeah, waiting a month would have killed me  Grin Grin Grin

Plus, keep in mind, I am still in the part I have read before, so I forgot it twice!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 03:49:30 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men #4
Lois Lane #7
Martian Manhunter #11
Justice League Dark #18

Detective Comics #1018
Action Comics #1018
Ascender #7
Bloodshot #3
Criminal #10
East of West #44
Ice Cream Man #16

Undiscovered Country #1
Rai #1
Roku #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #20

Age of X-Man: X-Tremists #5 - Another good wrap up for this mini.  Only two more mini wrap ups before the big conclusion issue.

Mr & Mrs X #12 - Pretty good ending to this series.  I liked getting back to Louisiana and the Thief and Assassin Guilds.  Twelve issues was the right number for the series.  Any more and it might have gotten old.  As is - thumbs up!

Uncanny X-Men #20 - Another good issue.  Man, Magik doesn't mess around.  She's just a little darker than Dark Beast!

X-Men Grand Design - X-Tinction #2 - I got very confused at the end of.  Are they retconning X-Men history with this?

Wolverine: Exit Wounds #1 - Don't waste your time on this book.  Three short stories that aren't really that interesting.  The art on the third story is horribly cartoonish.  The middle story by Chris Claremont has some interest and possibly a reveal to something in Logan's past but the story itself is kind of blah.  I was pretty disappointed since Logan is my favorite character.  Was hoping for something more.

Marvel Comics Presents #5 - Three stories.  Wolverine story continues the return of the truth every decade.  Thumbs up as we are now almost up to 1990.  Nightcrawler story was pretty interesting.  A story from back in the Excalibur days which includes Destiny.  Thumbs up here too.  Venom story - lame.  Thumbs down.

Marvel Comics Presents #6 - Three stories.  Wolverine story picks up in 1995 when the Truth reappears.  Fun battle and the new (3rd) witch appears with a surprise cliffhanger as to who she is!  Thumbs up.  Deadpool story...ROFLMAO.  No better character to make fun of '90's comics publishers than Deadpool.  And make fun they do!  Thumbs up.  Cheesy  Ghost Rider story was awesome.  I don't want to spoil but I hope this isn't the end of this story!! (It said Not The End but do they mean it?)  Thumbs up!!

War of the Realms: Uncanny X-Men #3 - Wound up just being an "ok" story.  Ready to move on back to the normal Uncanny run.

Whew!  Almost didn't make it through the list.  But now I'm ready for tomorrow!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »

Just realized I have trades 7,8, and 9 of East of West in my comixology account to read!! As well as Black Magick v2, Black Hammer v2, and all 5 Letter 44, or 44; that book yet! LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »

Just realized I have trades 7,8, and 9 of East of West in my comixology account to read!! As well as Black Magick v2, Black Hammer v2, and all 5 Letter 44, or 44; that book yet! LOL

HEY!! New comics  Grin

Wolverine: Exit Wounds #1  ...  I was pretty disappointed since Logan is my favorite character.  Was hoping for something more.

Man, I hope that new Percy Wolverine hits for you. After me having to deal with Slott's "Feable" Four and watching/listening to Jimmy go through what he had to with Bendis on Superman/Action, I would hate for yet another one of us to miss out or feel disgusted by a title featuring a character they truly love.
 Undecided

I only was able to get one more issue in last night as we stayed up to watch Joker, but damn I was able to get though a lot of comics this week. Well, a lot for me. Haha 

East of West #15 - NOOoooo. Come on, Balloon. No!!!!

I think I am wrong. I MUST have only read through issue #14 of this series the first time around as I don't remember this issue at all. And not like my normal, brain dead, lack of memory, but no, totally new stuff here. I think I would have remembered this last page, or last two pages. So yay, new comics for me too
 Grin

Star Wars: Empire Ascendant #1
Thor #1
Incoming #1

East of West #1
East of West #2
East of West #3
East of West #4
East of West #5

East of West #6
East of West #7
East of West #8
East of West #9
East of West #10

East of West #11
East of West #12

East of West #13
East of West #14

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS