HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:07:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 18, 2019  (Read 6796 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 18, 2019, 03:58:43 AM »

Can't believe Christmas is only a week away.  Where do the years go?

Keeping the list short this week as I know the holidays and travel this weekend will suck up my time.

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 6
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4
X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts 4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men 5
X-Force 9

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »

Keeping the list short this week ...

Oh sure, go ahead and list about 20  Grin I will be lucky to get 6 in this coming week. But then again, I guess that is close to my average.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »

Lololol.

In my defense, a lot of those titles are historically pretty fast reads.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:58:22 AM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4
X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force (2018)  9

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts 4 - Ah ha!  The truth comes out!  And an unexpected death!

Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men 5 - And more mutants start to learn the truth!  Headed towards the end of this tale and I'm thinking it's going to be a good ending.

X-Force (2018) 9 - I bet this is a really good story but the art has really ruined it.

Deathstroke 50 - The perfect ending to a great book.  It couldn't have ended any other way.  Loved that last page.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:43:18 AM »

X-Force (2018) 9 - I bet this is a really good story but the art has really ruined it.

I couldn't make it past issue 3 myself  Undecided even though I loved the idea of the characters involved, but I couldn't make time for it. I was hoping that you would get used to the art more and enjoy the story, being the X fan you are. Sad to see it didn't happen. But only one more issue to go.
 Smiley

EDIT -Oh, and got through a few more issues of Doomsday Clock

Doomsday Clock #3
Doomsday Clock #4
Doomsday Clock #5
- So glad I waited to read this. I can't imagine trying to remember all the nuances of this. And I'm sure I am missing a goof 50% of them
 Grin

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:24:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4
X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force (2018)  9

Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 6 - Now that was far out.  Digital art as the Doom Patrol goes inside a virtual reality world.  It was fun to look at and thankfully a one and done story.  More than one issue of this art would be too much - but as is, was fun.

Inferior Five 4 - Ah!  Looks like the main story and backup story might be crossing paths next issue.  That could be interesting!

Doctor Mirage 4 - Closing out the arc to see what happens but I'm not recommending this one.  As much as I like Doctor Mirage, this story hasn't been that great.

Killers 5 - Good ending to a fun origin story.  Can't wait to see what this team will be up to in the future.  Thumbs up.

Psi-Lords 6 - An unexpected trial while we learn more about this world our heroes have been dropped into.  Still digging this. (Even though Perry's not  Smiley  )

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 02:59:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4
X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force (2018)  9

Die 9 - This "Split the Party" arc has been pretty good.  Next issue is the conclusion and I suspect we'll get some more big reveals.

Family Tree 1 - Wow!  I like it!  Big surprise right?  I like a Jeff Lemire book.  Lol.  But I do like how this started out - I got pulled into the main characters almost right away.

Gideon Falls 18 - I can't believe this is already at 18 issues.  This issue was really good.  Things are heating up and its fun watching the players come together.  Get caught up because I have a feeling its about to get wild.

Sea of Stars 5 - This story definitely got a lot better as it went along.  I'm assuming next issue is the finale because it all came together and went to hell in this issue.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »

X-23 6-11; I just really enjoy Laura's tortured existence. And I like how Gaby fights that destiny with her sweetness.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4

X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force (2018)  9

Fallen Angels 4 - Interesting dynamic between Psylocke (Kwannon) and X-23.  I'm still enjoying this one but the art is starting to wear on me.  It would be nice if they got a different artist.

New Mutants 4 - This was hilarious.  Boom Boom just cracks me up.  Really enjoying seeing Beak again.  Would love to see what Hickman could do with this character though it appears this has been taken over by Ed Brissom.  Still good though.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »

X-23 6-11; I just really enjoy Laura's tortured existence. And I like how Gaby fights that destiny with her sweetness.

I skipped this series but may need to go back and add it.  I enjoyed All New Wolverine where X-23 found Gaby.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »

Fallen Angels 4 - Interesting dynamic between Psylocke (Kwannon) and X-23.  I'm still enjoying this one but the art is starting to wear on me.  It would be nice if they got a different artist.

And I think this series is done. Either at #4 or #5. Hope the artist gos over to Dynamite, where he belongs! Maybe he can take your artist that you don't like on X-Force with him?
 Grin

New Mutants ...  Would love to see what Hickman could do with this character though it appears this has been taken over by Ed Brissom.  Still good though.

Just a fill-in by Brisson. Looks like they go back and forth with writing, depending on odd or even numbering. According to Previews, Brisson has the even numbers as he is writing issues #6 and #8 coming up, but Hickman is back on the title with #5 and then doing #7 and #9 (the March issue).

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 01:15:29 AM »

And I think this series is done. Either at #4 or #5. Hope the artist gos over to Dynamite, where he belongs! Maybe he can take your artist that you don't like on X-Force with him?
 Grin

Issue 4 ended in a cliffhanger so 5 must be the last one.  I'm ok with that.  I don't mind a quick mini series.

New Mutants ...  Would love to see what Hickman could do with this character though it appears this has been taken over by Ed Brissom.  Still good though.

Just a fill-in by Brisson. Looks like they go back and forth with writing, depending on odd or even numbering. According to Previews, Brisson has the even numbers as he is writing issues #6 and #8 coming up, but Hickman is back on the title with #5 and then doing #7 and #9 (the March issue).

Oh ok.  That's pretty weird doing every other issue - don't you think?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 03:04:16 AM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4

X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force (2018)  9

X-Force (2019) 4 - Holy Crap!!!  I did not see that last page coming!!  As shocking as that was, my favorite part of this has to be the names of all of Xavier's companies.  Especially..
Wolverine Waste Management
   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Legion of Super-Heroes 2 - Wow. I don't think I"m the target audience for this.  You know, Legion fan.  This is not the Hickman Legion I was hoping for.  So far, I like Saturn Girl and Wildfire but I have no interest in any of the other knock off's.  And when I saw the last page my gut reaction was..."NO......No, No, No, No, NO!"  It's way too early to introduce THAT character into this world.  I'm not dropping this yet but unless something changes my mind I don't think I'll be here for long.  And that makes me very, very sad.

Doomsday Clock 12 - So many things to process here.  I'll have to come back to this later.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

Oh ok.  That's pretty weird doing every other issue - don't you think?

Yes I do. But I guess there is an overall plot but each issue containing a one and done story about it? I'm not sure. I still have to read past issue #1 so I have no idea how it is going to work, but ... yeah ... weird.

Legion of Super-Heroes 2 - Wow.

SHIT! Well, we all pretty much feared it would be the case with Bendis taking over this much beloved property. His ability (or lack thereof for some fans) to write teams well and his panache for "twisting" characters entire history and personalities while disregarding any and all source material, pretty much guaranteed we would be left wanting on this title.
Yes I remained hopeful, but yeah, we all knew this would happen. Shame it already seems to have occurred pretty much from issue #1.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry
Looks like I will just stick to where I was and return to THE TRUE Legion.

Doomsday Clock 12 - So many things to process here.  I'll have to come back to this later.

... which brings me to ...

Doomsday Clock #6
Doomsday Clock #7
Doomsday Clock #8
Doomsday Clock #9
Doomsday Clock #10
- HOLY HELL!!! When Firestorm
turned all those peeps to Glass and then found a way to undo it yet all that shit went down and those same people started getting shot and run over by tanks, ruining any chance for Ronnie to change them back ... and then Supes getting involved, when Bats tried to warn him ... and Supes being in the universe that is not part of the Multiverse but is the main one, the start, the Metaverse ... and being the center point and ...
Yeah ... love this.

Damn, I wish Geoff Johns would not have taken that promotion. I miss his writing.

Doomsday Clock #3
Doomsday Clock #4
Doomsday Clock #5

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »

Doomsday Clock 12

I think this would have been a great ending and clearly would have reset the DC Universe.  But it is also clear that he had to change part of it to accommodate
Bendis’ Legion of Super-Heroes
so now it doesn’t make sense.  Well, I guess it can still work but obviously not what John’s had originally intended.

It didn’t help that the Watchman series on HBO just ended and set the bar extremely high. Hard to meet those high expectations.

I’m curious to see what Perry thinks.  I read these as they came out every other month.  I’m wondering if the ending is better if you read it all at once.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS